Sign in to follow this  
TacSimFan

Ground Branch: x64-bit and Dual Core Optimized?

I apologize if this is buried in a FAQ, or previous threads on the board.

[b]I would like to know if BFS intends to ship (or later update) the core GB game to include enhancements for 64-bit processors and Dual Core?[/b]

These two additions would make an already promising title even more attractive to PC geeks like me who have the latest tech and want to actually use it. Very few games have either of these features out of the box...

I apologize if this is buried in a FAQ, or previous threads on the board.

I would like to know if BFS intends to ship (or later update) the core GB game to include enhancements for 64-bit processors and Dual Core?

These two additions would make an already promising title even more attractive to PC geeks like me who have the latest tech and want to actually use it. Very few games have either of these features out of the box...

Heck, thanks to Intel's July 22 price cut I'm now sporting a 6600 Quad-Core for $266 bucks plus shipping. Let's see some quad-core optimization !! :)

Seriously though, it would be nice to see some multi-core awareness if that's possible... the ability intelligently spawn threads across available CPUs could really make this game sing without the need for hardware physics like some games we know. :)

-jk

Yes, it will... out of the box.

Thanks for the reply :D

Does this include actual x64 (64-bit) coding if you are using Vista/XP 64-bit as your OS?

Even if not, just having actual Dual Core support is a step in the right direction as we (PC gamers) buy all of this stuff and half of it isn't used -- If at all.

Thanks for the reply :D

Does this include actual x64 (64-bit) coding if you are using Vista/XP 64-bit as your OS?

Even if not, just having actual Dual Core support is a step in the right direction as we (PC gamers) buy all of this stuff and half of it isn't used -- If at all.

Since we are licensing the engine, all that is taken care of by them. Suffice to say.... they know what they are doing and support a lot of tech!

As of today though, I believe the only x64 specific stuff is memory management. I could be wrong though and will check into it.

Just curious... what is it that you think x64 specific coding will get you?

Since we are licensing the engine, all that is taken care of by them. Suffice to say.... they know what they are doing and support a lot of tech!

As of today though, I believe the only x64 specific stuff is memory management. I could be wrong though and will check into it.

Just curious... what is it that you think x64 specific coding will get you?

Speaking for myself, I was thinking mem mgmt. I have 4gb in my machine right now but I'm still using 32-bit XP since I am not that excited about Vista yet. I'd love to see a game engine that could use a full 8 gb of memory. :)

Aside from that I haven't really seen much that x-64 brings to the table. It's so important that the underlying OS properly handles this technology and I would have to say that right now Vista 64-bit should still be considered "enthusiast" only.

-jk