Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cutter

LCD Monitor

131 posts in this topic

My Logitech Z-5500's are plugged right into my sound card for my PC. For my TV, it's plugged into the TV and the DVD player.

My Logitech Z-5500's are plugged right into my sound card for my PC. For my TV, it's plugged into the TV and the DVD player.

relevanttomyinterests1xu9.th.jpg

Remember that I have 2 sets of those speakers. Of course, things have chaned somewhat now that I have had to buy a new TV, one connection might change.

I set up a dual monitor configuration (both monitors display the desktop, no extension mode).

The 27" Dell is plugged with a DVI cable and the desktop is stretched to the sides way to much (moving mouse cursor to the corner shifts the picture) and the desktop objects appear larger than before, the resolution is way off.

The second 22" has the picture displayed correctly, but uses the 27" resolution, I guess the primary monitor dictates the resolution, but is is possible to give the monitor an own resolution?.

It should be. Are you using nvidia or ATI or something else? My nvidia control panel allows me to set resolutions independently for each monitor in DualView mode.

Yes, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600XT. I set to each monitor appropriate resolutions, but it doesn't work, maybe I need to check or uncheck something.

As for the DVI cable, even if deactivating the dual monitor setting, the DVI input does not give me a proper picture (while VGA does for the other monitor).

I need an advice Guys, I was thinking lately to replace my LG 1900 19" LCD with 22" Widescreen LCD. I dont want to spend lots of money so I don't have big choice, I just want to buy something decent for a decent price. This friday there is a sale in local Mediamark and I have oportunity to buy THIS monitor for 469 PLN ( ~144$) , the regular price in Poland is about 560-600 PLN.

What do you think ? is it worth it ? Does anyone has this LCD ?

And my second question, did anyone recently replaced 19" with a 22", if so did You noticed any FPS lose in games because of biger resolution ?

My rig spec:

C2D E6550 ( 2,3 GHz)

3 GB RAM

GF 260

Is it enough for 22" widescreen LCD ?

Thanks in advance.

LG is good quality I hear. It says "Panel Type(TN,IPS)", what does that mean?

As for FPS drop, it depends on the game and what resolution you choose. I played Infiltration (Unreal Engine 1) at max resolution on my old monitor (1680x1050), with the new monitor I use the max resolution aswell (1920x1200) and do not see a difference in FPS, because the engine is to old and my computer is strong enough.

If you play a newer game at a specific resolution (one of the lower to have enough fps) you just keep it when using the new monitor, of course, the picture is larger and so is the pixelation more noticeable, but personally I choose a larger picture over slightly less pixelation.

A 22" is not such a ressource eating machine like my 27" though, so I think switching from a 19" to 22" is not such a giant leap forward (don't get me wrong there :D).

------------------------------

I also need some advice for my Dell, I noticed that very dark gray colours have a violetish hue, while pitch black seems correct and brighter grey colours seem not to have that hue. I use the "Custom (RGBCMY)" mode, but in other modes it doesn't really change.

I noticed that in Infiltration actually, while it is no big deal for desktop, in Infiltration (and I guess in games in general) it becomes more and more little annoying. I scaled down the red colour in the menue a little but then things do look way to cold and the hue remains for the most part.

Maybe it is just the panel, but maybe things can be calibrated somehow? My previous monitor had bad colours compared to the Dell, but dark gray had no hue, it just looked correctly gray.

Summary of LCD Panel Technology

S-IPS/H-IPS panels are generally considered the best all around panel type, but they are more expensive and very few are made. High end, expensive.

S-PVA/MVA panels offer better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN panels, have slightly worse response times than TN or S-IPS, offer the best contrast ratios, may suffer from color shifting or input lag and have higher availability than S-IPS panels. Mid range, fair price.

TN panels are very cheap and have the fastest response times, but suffer from inferior color reproduction, contrast ratios and viewing angles. Low end, inexpensive.

LINK

:D

Thanks Guys :)

I've decided to buy LG W2252TQ-PF 22" Wide Screen . It's a better model of my initial choice. It has better Response Time ( 2ms) and Contrast Ratio ( 10 000 : 1 ) , it has DVI ( W2242 has only VGA )and it looks better :) I hope it will last for a few next years.

Well, I'm running one 22" widescreen and a 19" 4:3 from the GF 260 in this rig and I've yet to notice any problems in keeping with what's displayed onscreen.

Sure Crysis/Crysis: Warhead at max settings is going to have slowdowns at times but it's nothing that I really notice.

It's still hard to find more demanding game then Crysis so I can accept that kind of slowdowns.

Thanks Snow :thumbsup:

It's still hard to find more demanding game then Crysis so I can accept that kind of slowdowns.

Thanks Snow :thumbsup:

128778442021403125dq7.th.jpg

sorry, can't help it...I has capshun disorder 0:)

I still don't really see much point in more than 22" if you're actually sitting within a reasonable distance. Smaller than that, and I'd have to move abnormally close. Bigger than that, and I'd have to move away a bit to make up for it... I wouldn't object having higher resolution though, as it's possible to see pixels with my 22" 1680:1050 at the distance I'm sitting.

What I wonder is if those 3D-ready monitors are worth an investment.

Edited by galzohar

Can anyone name a 22" with ~2-4ms, 1:10,000~30,000 and 1920X1200 resolution?

Also how important is the latency in practice? How good/bad is, say, 5ms?

Why do monitors tend to lose size after some time? :P My 27" doesn't feel that huge anymore (sometimes getting used to things isn't good)... nah, I still enjoy the size, perfect for gaming and everything else.

Size matters, you know that. :D

Small increments Psychomorph, small increments! Went from a 15" CRT to a 17" CRT to a 17" LCD to a 19" LCD to a 20.1" LCD and hopefully next is a 23" LCD. I'll get to a 27" within the century I'm sure! Of course, using my 32" TV at one point really spoiled me....

So, this seems like the most cost effective high quality 1920X1200 monitor I could find:

2433BW (24'' widescreen LCD monitor 2433BW - LCD - monitors | SAMSUNG)

346$ in Israel

Any idea if there are any flaws with that monitor or if it's a good buy? I hope the 5ms really is a non-issue, since that's the only thing (other than 1:20000 contrast down from 1:30000 which is negligible) that's a downgrade to my current W2284F (LG 1680X1050 1:30000 2ms). I'll also try to find places that have it on display, but any comments would be appreciated.

Note that it's not really just for upgrading mine, if it was I wouldn't spend 346$ as my monitor is awesome, but my dad could very much use my monitor and would probably buy himself one (though probably not as expensive) anyway.

I've been looking around in some shops for a new monitor. I made up my mind that I want at least 23" and run a resolution of 1920x1200. I found out that many cheap monitors only have regular VGA(?) connection (the blue old school one), while the more "expensive" ones (or at least the ones that are not on the bottom end) have that white socket or even HDMI(?). I don't know why you should switch to that white socket, from what I've heard it's digital compared to analog. No clue if it gives any difference in quality though (probably). I will only hook it up to the computer.

It needs to be capable of gaming and the structure needs to be a bit solid. I saw a pretty nice one in the shop the other day, an HP 2309m (sorry, the url forces me to the Dutch site of HP). But I have a feeling that I'm paying for the extra stuff which is that digital white connection and HDMI. On top of that it has somekind of superbright crap on it, basicly reflective material on the screen. I'm not sure about that.

The "v" model is 40 euro ($55) cheaper and will get me the same thing but only with analog input (VGA?) and without the superbright stuff.

Any other recommendations? I'm looking for a pricerange of about 190 ~ 240 euro (USD $260 ~ $330,- ).

Note that you linked a a monitor with resolution of 1920X1080 and not 1920X1200. 1:1000 static and 1:3000 dynamic is pretty poor quality. The good ones generally have at LEAST 1:10000 and up to 1:50000 dynamic (and usually not list static, unfortunately). My monitor is 2ms so I don't really know how much higher you can go without hurting quality, some people here said 5ms is fine, dunno if more is OK too or not. Anyway keep an eye on latency too.

When I looked at 2 similar monitors, one with 1:10000 and one with 1:30000, it was a bit hard to tell the difference but there was a difference. when it comes to 1:3000 monitors though, it's easy to see their inferior quality.

I was going to buy 24" Samsung 2433BW 1920X1200 5ms 1:20000, but ended up not because I couldn't find it on display in any shop and my father decided he doesn't want my 22" LG W2284F 1680X1050 2ms 1:30000 badly enough.

Another thing to notice about monitors is the light bleeding from the edges. My LG W2284F has very very little bleeding that's only barely somewhat noticeable when the entire screen is black (during screen saver for example).

Edited by galzohar

Note that you linked a a monitor with resolution of 1920X1080 and not 1920X1200. 1:1000 static and 1:3000 dynamic is pretty poor quality. The good ones generally have at LEAST 1:10000 and up to 1:50000 dynamic (and usually not list static, unfortunately). My monitor is 2ms so I don't really know how much higher you can go without hurting quality, some people here said 5ms is fine, dunno if more is OK too or not. Anyway keep an eye on latency too.

Strange, the shop where I found this monitor had it listed as 1920x1200.

I was going to buy 24" Samsung 2433BW 1920X1200 5ms 1:20000, but ended up not because I couldn't find it on display in any shop and my father decided he doesn't want my 22" LG W2284F 1680X1050 2ms 1:30000 badly enough.

Yeah, I heard the 2433BW is a pretty nice setup. Don't like the light bleeding though. 5ms is good enough I think, don't know what I have now, it's the old one from my girlfriend, and it was not an expensive one (very cheap actually) so the ms is probably high.

Yeah, I heard the 2433BW is a pretty nice setup. Don't like the light bleeding though. 5ms is good enough I think, don't know what I have now, it's the old one from my girlfriend, and it was not an expensive one (very cheap actually) so the ms is probably high.

The light bleeding is the main reason I wanted to look for it on display before buying it, but couldn't find a shop that has it on display. I'm probably sticking with my W2284F for a while though, other than the 1680X1050 resolution, it's simply an awesome monitor.