Jsonedecker

BlackFoot Studios Licenses Epic's Unreal Engine 3!

132 posts in this topic

Today, the paperwork was completed for BFS to acquire a title license Epic's award winning Unreal Engine 3. Yep, you read that right..... We are using Unreal Engine 3!

We will be doing a full press release in the coming weeks, but I thought the wait has been long enough around here so why not share it with everyone... though the Donators have known for a couple weeks now. :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to sharing much more information as we transition into this new phase of the company!

-John

It's fantastic that you've licensed such a great, well known and moddable engine. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Congrats on the milestone John :thumbsup:

Yes indeed well said Whisper, congrats John and team. :thumbsup:

Now that this is out we need to update any public links we have started with this update.

Go to it people.

Excellent. I hope this bodes well for consoles.

This actually is one of the main pieces of the puzzle that makes things possible on the consoles. Without a nicely proven cross platform engine we wouldn't be able to do a console game. UE3 is proven on PC, 360 and PS3 and the pipeline to get assets on each platform is the same and that drastically reduces the effort needed to move things across platforms. :thumbsup:

ahhh, he can finally loosen up a bit and, breeeeeeaaaatthhhheee

Congrats John, BFS, AND respective families :thumbsup:

Good news :thumbsup: I think this was what most of us guessed at, for the very reasons stated :)

Respectfully

krise madsen

holy ###### this is like a dream come true I really didn't think you guys were going to use UE3 but this makes me very excited

Edited by Ermac

This is great news. I have nothing but love and respect for the Unreal engine and i'm happy GB will use it. Also Beppo should feel right at home and i trust he'll kick ass coding!

Congratulations guys!

Great news indeed, I've been waiting to hear those words for months.

I was tossing up on which engine I should start learning to mod with, Unreal Engine 3 or Cry engine 2 guess this seals the deal.

:drool:

Ahhh...glad the cats out of the bag :) (expects a LOLCAT appearance).

Now modding groups can start thinking about what to focus upon & understand the boundaries of the engine.

Glad its finally public & as already stated in Donators forum..CONGRATS a step in the right direction (IMHO)...now back to work :whip::thumbsup:

@ Mods - PIN THIS THREAD please.

Also Beppo should feel right at home and i trust he'll kick ass coding!

Yeah, he does. His experience has been tremendous!

This actually is one of the main pieces of the puzzle that makes things possible on the consoles. Without a nicely proven cross platform engine we wouldn't be able to do a console game. UE3 is proven on PC, 360 and PS3 and the pipeline to get assets on each platform is the same and that drastically reduces the effort needed to move things across platforms. :thumbsup:

Put that kind of statement in a corner of your newsletter and mention consoles specifically and I will disseminate to all my Console buddies!

We need to generate significant console excitement!

yep.. I bet the news will stir things in the Console market!

Anyone noted any external comments to the BFS engine announcement yet?!