Jsonedecker

BlackFoot Studios Licenses Epic's Unreal Engine 3!

132 posts in this topic

Put that kind of statement in a corner of your newsletter and mention consoles specifically and I will disseminate to all my Console buddies!

We need to generate significant console excitement!

Actually, that would be a good article to do so that the superior cross platform capabilities of UE3 are explored.

nice, good choice, but we guessed it a year ago ; )

It wasn't all that difficult to figure out. :rofl:

This sure makes this project more real then ever!

We are a bit unorthodox, but we are very real!

It wasn't all that difficult to figure out. :rofl:

Serious? I thought I was the only one that got the hint when you posted that link to some tutorials - seemingly at random - all those months ago :shifty:

Congrats on the announcement! I'm glad I bought the Unreal Tournament 3 SE with the DVD chock full of tuts when it came out :thumbsup:

Congratulations BFS. Good choice!

I have been fan of the UEngine for a long time, most games I played are UE, most mods I played are UE, my first 3D shooter was UE and this tradition continues.

I am curious about what got you to annouce these news, a publisher, or an alternative route on the way to a real game.

Also I am curious about which version of UE3 it will be. Maybe one that exceeds the capabilities of current UE3 games as we have seen in case of UE2 and UR2.5

Anyway, I am very excited and thankful you considered to inform us.

This is great news. I have nothing but love and respect for the Unreal engine and i'm happy GB will use it. Also Beppo should feel right at home and i trust he'll kick ass coding!

Yeah, he does. His experience has been tremendous!

I guess Infiltration was a good training house.

Infiltration = Killhouse

Ground Branch = Mission / The Real Deal

:D

Edited by Psychomorph

I am curious about what got you to annouce these news, a publisher, or an alternative route on the way to a real game.

Also I am curious about which version of UE3 it will be. Maybe one that exceeds the capabilities of current UE3 games as we have seen in case of UE2 and UR2.5

Simple, read the first post and it's all explained really, the paperwork with Epic has been sealed inregards to licensing between them and BFS.

As for what version, naturally it would be the very latest version available I'd say. Meaning it's newer than what games like GOW and others used.

I seem to recall knowing last year that BFS was going to use Unreal, but do not remember how I came by that information. Imagine knowing but not being able to tell (where is Ledanek with a I haz sekret GB info LOLCAT when ya need one).

Also Beppo should feel right at home and i trust he'll kick ass coding!

Good point, I didnt thought about. Infiltration is great realism mod.

It is good that you did not choose the Source Engine. :clapping: I hate it because it tends to have that stupid bug where your sound-loops then game freezes and crashes. I think Valve never truely solved this long-occuring bug.

I hope theres no real gamebreaking bugs in the Unreal 3 Engine. :notworthy:

Well, we made the announcement because we negotiated a deal with Epic for the engine license. Up until now they were allowing us to use it under a special evaluator license and one restriction was the inability to acknowledge publicly that we were using it. Since we are now a full licensee, that restriction does not exist.

As for engine version.. Epic continually updates the engine at least once a month. We are current with them and the plan is to be very close, if not on, the same version of GOW2. We will continue to integrate their updates as long as it is feasible for us to do so. The farther you get into production, and the more custom code you write, the harder it is to integrate raw engine updates in a timely fashion.

time to pull out the fireworks and the UT3 editor out and have a party and get started on mapping

Edited by bangurdead

I seem to recall knowing last year that BFS was going to use Unreal, but do not remember how I came by that information. Imagine knowing but not being able to tell (where is Ledanek with a I haz sekret GB info LOLCAT when ya need one).

probably the statement with the announcement that the engine they were licensing supported AGIEA physics instead of Havoc (with rules out the cry- engine)

then after viewing a the agiea site they listed EPIC as a engine that supported Agiea along with GRIN at the time

I have to laugh at all the times we had to post... "Unreal? Why would you say that? No one said it was the Unreal engine", and then go into the staff forum and say "pheww, that was close". :rofl:

That's great news guys! Here's to hoping I have a new game to play by the time I get back from Iraq next summer!

Edited by Joey C

thanks for serving Joey C :thumbsup:

hopefully John will return the favor by the time you get home safely

That's great news guys! Here's to hoping I have a new game to play by the time I get back from Iraq next summer!

Thanks for making this announcement! I am as excited as anyone and have been looking forward to this since the topic came up on GR.net!

Yes, thanks for serving Joey. I too am in Iraq at the time and am patiently awaiting my release to go home and should be there before Thanksgiving. Thanks to all our supporters, you are a blessing :)

well this is fantastic news, i have been working on some levels in 3dmax, now i can start importing into ut3,

ive been playing with ut3 ed and love it, even more than the RvS engine

now is there any chance we could have scale size? to make mapping a we bit easyer, eg 1uu=20mm etc?

Some of the guys around here might remem me from rvs mapping and id really like to make some maps to be imported once GB is out

Cheers

FUBAR

I have a couple concerns and I hope they are baseless. I found this site when I was looking for more info on UE3 http://www.unrealtechnology.com/technology.php It made it look as if UE3 required DirectX 10. Is that so because I really don't want to go to Vista (aka ME2, the broken OS). Secondly I've been waiting on the ATI 4870x2 card which will be out in a few weeks. After Nvidia bought Agiea I wonder about getting PhysX support on my system.

Just wondering. Keep up the good work guys.

I have a couple concerns and I hope they are baseless. I found this site when I was looking for more info on UE3 http://www.unrealtechnology.com/technology.php It made it look as if UE3 required DirectX 10. Is that so because I really don't want to go to Vista (aka ME2, the broken OS). Secondly I've been waiting on the ATI 4870x2 card which will be out in a few weeks. After Nvidia bought Agiea I wonder about getting PhysX support on my system.

Just wondering. Keep up the good work guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think BFS will support DirectX 9 (I remember that being posted somewhere here?)... Although you won't get all the DX10 features if you run it in DX9 mode.

After Nvidia bought Agiea I wonder about getting PhysX support on my system.

Guaranteed you will have full software PhysX support, and odds are good that you'll have hardware support, if unofficial.