• Announcements

• Aldous

Forum Upgrade Completed   02/22/2017

We have upgraded our forum and some background software to a new build. This will, among other things, add a few new features as well as implement a few bugs. Please let us know if you find anything unusual.

213 posts in this topic

Big boo. I'd much rather have a modding community over the ability to buy and sell in-game items for real money. Sorry Blizzard, I passed on SC2, and it looks like I'll be passing on D3, as much as I really don't want to.

My PC has been constantly connected to the internet for the last 15 years. I don't have any issues with this.

It's not the constant internet connection that bothers me, but the complete anti-mod focus so they can advertise their in-game player transactions is the part that turns me away. Diablo 2 was awesome, and with the right mods it's infinitely better. I'm sure that Diablo 3 will be awesome as well, but I refuse to support the mentality that they have towards custom user content for a game like this.

Yeah I can see how that would affect some people. I never played any mods with D2 and only ever played through closed b.net so I'm not so affected by that. To be honest, I never even looked for mods for D2 and didn't even really know that they existed. I am however all about the feedom of modding games so it would be kind of sad if it will be un-moddable.

Has there been a mention of such a thing?

EDIT---

I suppose so.

:(

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36292/Opinion_Diablo_3_And_Keeping_Players_At_Bay.php

Edited by Fixxxer

Actually SC2 is very pro-modding with all the custom map scene. You can make some pretty incredible stuff over there, though then again there are limitations as well like file size. But overall very mod-friendly.

Diablo, on the other hand, probably won't have any mod friendliness. I don't think it has much room in a multiplayer RPG that is based on being balanced. Of course mods never hurt to extend the life of the game, but in the case of Diablo I don't consider it a huge loss. There are even mods for Diablo 2 and I never felt the need to even try them, but then again that might just be because they weren't much good due to mod unfriendliness.

Diablo is pure hack and slash awesomeness. I love my deep RPG's, but for over the top slaughtering or monsters and demons, it doesn't get any better than Diablo. Heck, I still play Diablo II. 12 years later. The max resolution of the 2D game is 800x600. It's pixelated and in every aspect outdated. But it's still so damn fun.

Did you play Torchlight? That was a pretty decent game to give me my Diablo fix without having to reinstall the entire game (again.) As far as Diablo 3 goes, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. They've announced some changes I disagree with, but those announcements have always been accompanied by "we'll release more details about this aspect of the game later!

Did you play Torchlight? That was a pretty decent game to give me my Diablo fix without having to reinstall the entire game (again.)

I did. And it was a fantastic game. But I bought it under the false pretenses that they were going to be releasing the multiplayer aspect of the game shortly after the release of the game. Fool me once, shame on you. If there's no multiplayer at release for Torchlight 2 I certainly won't buy it this time around.

I just have Diablo II installed still. I play it still. No matter how dated it is it's still one of those games I can't get enough of.

A lot of the changes that "people don't like" I actually think will improve the game.

Overall I think not having to respec ever, choosing which skills to use rather than which skills to invest points into so that you actually use 6 skills and 3 passive skills rather than 1-3 skills like we had in d2 plus some 1-point-wonder stuff which IMO were never really a good idea as every skill needs to be a viable full-time-use skill, and since they were 1 point wonders EVERYONE would get them anyway so there was no choice in there.

Stat point placement as you level was just silly eventually. You had very little choice in there and there was little reason to get any more than requirements for gear and rest in vitality except for some small damage increases you could get from str/dex. And anyway you will still be able to choose which stats you want to increase the most in the form of choosing which equipment to use, so it's not like they took stats out of the game. And again without placing stat points as you level there is no need to respec.

The real money AH will just depend on how badly we would need items that can only truly be attained with real money. If they keep things reasonable and make you fully able to enjoy the game without having to trade for overpowered items (see: D2, especially PvP, where this was pretty damn terrible), then it'll be fine.

I did. And it was a fantastic game. But I bought it under the false pretenses that they were going to be releasing the multiplayer aspect of the game shortly after the release of the game. Fool me once, shame on you. If there's no multiplayer at release for Torchlight 2 I certainly won't buy it this time around.

I just have Diablo II installed still. I play it still. No matter how dated it is it's still one of those games I can't get enough of.

Yeah, info about their multiplayer was convoluted. I think the confusion came from a few early statements made about the MMO and speculation on the flexibility of their mod system (which I see someone HAS put out a multiplayer mod.) I had to go to their forum shortly before release where they definitively stated "no, there will be no multiplayer."

Galzohar, I was really skeptical at first, but the more I read about the changes the more hope I had that they'd make sure there were still ways to customize your character's playstyle. I'm still a tad skeptical, but I suppose as long as it doesn't turn into WoW on B.net (which I've seen some people on other forums stated,) I'm willing to give it a go at full price. And I never had a big problem with the real money AH. I don't see why people did maybe minus the people who want to PvP and don't want to be at a disadvantage due to buying power. But in that case, it seems those people could go to the non-gold AH.

Overall I think not having to respec ever, choosing which skills to use rather than which skills to invest points into so that you actually use 6 skills and 3 passive skills...

Sorry for my ignorance, Galzohar. I was just wondering if you could elaborate on this for me. Are you saying there won't be a respec option in Diablo III?

If so, that somewhat saddens me. In Diablo II it worked out okay not having the option but in later patches it really made it difficult. Take the Amazon for example. I loved using Multiple Shot. It was great for off-map clearing. They deemed it too overpowered years and years after the game was released and then implimented the damage penalty with it so it would only do 25% damage.

Balance is fine, but when you create your character and gear them accordingly and have no way of changing it, when they do something like that I would love to be able to respec if I'm not happy with the change.

which I see someone HAS put out a multiplayer mod

Link please.

That would make my friends and I extremely happy.

I'm saying that originally they had a respec option, but ended up changing the system so that you don't need to respec, you can just "respec" on the fly whenever you want by choosing which skills and passives you use, and which runes you place in each skill. So in short "free respec as often as you'd like". I just hope you won't be able to do it too quickly so people won't abuse it (like changing specs based on type of mobs that got spawned in the level, or worse, changing specs for different parts of a level).

Instead of choosing which skills to invest into and then using those, you will have all skills and they will scale with your level, and your choice will be which skills to actually make available to you at a given time, and which runes to use in which skill. And of course there's the gear, which we know in D2, as time paseed, became more and more significant in determining how your build actually plays out, so hopefully it'll be another form of customization on one hand, but not the end-all-be-all that makes or breaks your build like some current items in D2 that if existed in D3 and not duplicated with hacks would probably cost lots of gold on the AH.

I don't know about the "WoW on b.net". You can definitely see in D3 a lot of lessons learned from D2 and WoW. But I consider that a good thing. The whole combat mechanics seem to be similar to D2 and completely different from WoW, and IMO looks much much better than WoW. Leveling in WoW is currently the most boring thing ever - Lucky for them it's a tiny portion of the game, majority of the game being after you reach the max level. In WoW, for those who don't know, leveling is basically grabbing a quest(s) running to the area where you need to kill mobs to complete said quest(s), kill them (mostly) 1-by-1 with (almost always) taking as much "time off" as you wish between each mob you kill. It's quite "mechanical" and makes you feel like a bot (and thus you wouldn't be surprised when there are bots that actually play the leveling game). Not that the whole WoW game is like that, dungeons raids and PvP are much much more dynamic. Dungeons and raids are still mostly made out of mini-battles that consist only a few mobs each and you are allowed to rest almost as much as you wish between each small mob group, but still the boss fights and some groups of mobs make for a much more interesting fight than what you would find while leveling. In either case, though, Diablo 3 seems like it's going to be very different from that WoW playstyle, even if some systems might look similar. And tbh there isn't much in D3 I can say "looks like WoW". Only thing I can say is that you can see that in D3 they learned lessons from WoW. And that's a good thing IMO.

Of course since the game isn't out all the above might be utter BS, but knowing Blizzard it is highly unlikely that they will not keep up with what they declare officially.

So in short "free respec as often as you'd like". I just hope you won't be able to do it too quickly so people won't abuse it (like changing specs based on type of mobs that got spawned in the level, or worse, changing specs for different parts of a level).

For this you're referring to D3? This is the way it will be? If so, I'm okay with that.

When 1.09 (or perhaps 1.08) rolled around for D2 and mobs became "Immune to Cold", "Immune to Physical", etc, that made it -impossible- to solo if you ran into any mob that was immune to your spec. As a Frozen Orb specced Sorceress I don't have to tell you that Act 5 wasn't exactly the easiest thing to play alone. I know, it is first and foremost a coop game, but when you don't have anyone around to play with at the time but still wish to play, it was like pulling teeth.

Which brings me to my next point;

Not being able to respec in D2 when they implimented the skill bonuses system:

Frozen Orb Receives Bonuses From

Ice Bolt: +2% Cold Damage Per Level

This made you further want to spec a certain way. So you could be a master at one tree or you could choose to be weaker and have a little bit of everything. Each has their drawbacks, but if you solo a lot, you'll likely want to be weaker just so you can kill things that may be immune to cold, lightning, fire. But now when they're not immune but still have high resistance they'll still take a while to go down because you can't be that much more powerful in your primary tree.

The best option was to always group with people. Though not everyone wants to group with randoms because well, randoms tend to be idiots so that left you hoping your friends don't have better things to do. If D2 had a respec system this wouldn't have been such a problem. But if you play your character for years, invest all that time and effort and then can't "fix" them when a new patch that revamps -everything- rolls around, it just made it a nightmare.

I can only hope this won't be an issue in D3. I hate skill changes or changes in how my skill are defended by mobs without me being able to alter them.

Link please.

That would make my friends and I extremely happy.

Please bear in mind I have never tried this mod personally, I just did a quick search to see if I could dig anything up on it (after all, I did say I read speculation *before* release that it could be done!)

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12680

Although I really want to try it out, now!

For this you're referring to D3? This is the way it will be? If so, I'm okay with that.

Yes. At least according to recent interviews (quotes) I've read.

Basically, instead of investing skill points, you just pick which skills you use, and you can switch them at will, thus you never need to "respec" because you never put points in anything. The rune system is not final and they're still playing with it but what we know almost for sure is that you will be able to swap those easily/freely as well. I just hope this won't result in too much "opportunistic respeccing".

This is basically a lesson learned from WoW, where you never ever have to re-level a character. At first only the important things were changeable - Talents can be reset with a cost and professions can be reset at will (though re-leveling one is expensive, it is also much easier than starting a new character). Later on they added paid race and faction changes, as those only have a tiny effect on how your character actually plays out (racial bonuses are mostly very weak). So as long as you picked a class, there is absolutely no reason to ever re-make a character of the same class, of course unless you want to change race, faction or name without paying for it. I can only guess that D3 will end up the same way, especially considering that all info we have points in that direction.

The only thing we don't have much info is about the artisans (which seem similar to professions in WoW), but it seems like there you still might never actually need a "new character", since you could just start investing in another artisan on your current character. This is, of course, my own speculation, since again we have little info about the artisan system.

Regarding immunities, in Diablo 2 you could still spec in a way that would allow you to deal with them, though obviously you were screwed if you specced with a single damage type before the patch that added respecs. In WoW during the early days (before the first expansion) they had immunities, mostly fire immunities/resistances on most mobs in the first 2 end-game raid dungeons, which, when released, were the most challenging content available in the game, and thus forced mages and warlocks into very specific specs (though it really only affected mages since the warlock fire spec was terrible anyway during those times, regardless of immunities/resistances). In the first expansion there were very very few mobs with immunities in the end-game - I can only think of 1 boss' adds and 1 boss. I think since WotLK they realized that it's simply silly to limit specs like that and gave up on immunities/resistances altogether even though it completely doesn't fit lore-wise, and currently you have the re-made version of molten core with ragnaros taking full fire damage... So if you consider Blizzard's attitude, you can be sure that immunities will not show their face in D3, at least not in the messed up way they were in D2. Even if we end up seeing immunities/resistances, I'm sure it'll be in a way that makes sense and doesn't break gameplay even for the solo player.

Just to add, just found this, showing Blizzard's trend of doing away with immunities:

We're looking at most players having an average of six "active"skills, these are your magic missiles, frost nova, electrocute (to use a few wizard examples), and because you're not just pumping up one single skill - and thus one single damage type, immunities become far less relevant. We're not going to do away with resistances, they still add something, but they're likely to be toned down a bit.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=11296419695&postId=112954736236

So again they won't be a central thing but you still might have to pick which skills you use on which mobs based on the mobs' resistances if you want to maximize your damage. And due to how the system work (choose 6 skills rather than pump points into 1-2 skills and/or skill types) it shouldn't be a problem.

Also it seems like http://www.diablowiki.net is updated with most recent info. Might want to check that out.

Very good. Thank you for that.

The immunities in WoW weren't so bad from what I remembered. BC was what broke my interest in the game in the first place. I enjoyed 40 man content. Even if fire mages (which is oddly what I was, but always frost spec) weren't fit for a single fight, you had the 36 others there still. In D2, though, it was killer. I'm glad they are learning and evolving accordingly. I really expect nothing less from Blizzard because even if they don't make the most ground breaking games they do make extremely polished out of the box games that really never stop being updated.

Skill selection is pretty awesome indeed. So many options!

Click on the gem at the bottom to get a random build.

We still don't have a release date for this, do we?

You're too busy with other games for this one right now whistle.gif

No date, though they said end of 2011 / start of 2012, but of course that is subject to change at all times.

...link, please?

Ah, I don't remember to be honest, but it's not like it's not subject to change anyway. They do mention in it in just about any other interview though (saying they are trying to push towards releasing in 2011 but aren't sure if they'll succeed).

Here's one example though: http://venturebeat.com/2011/08/03/diablo-3-release-date-2/

Edited by galzohar

Seems like beta invites are starting to come out for people who opted in... Any lucky ones? For me I think the only luck I'll get is more scam mail, but we'll see...

Some Blizzcon stuff:

gameplay and AH (most important IMO):

Some lore (some spoilers):

Q&A:

Edited by galzohar