Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasa

Multiplayer communication channels

61 posts in this topic

I was thinking:

In multiplayer, be it coop or advers, it would be very handy if you could go into a separate comms channel with your teammates, for both chat and ingame voice messages.

I think that it is a very useful feature. It helps with giving the appropriate information to the appropriate people.

If you just have a general team chat, and the team is split into 2, then half the information you are recieving is not relavent to you, and just distracts you.

If some one says "contact 12 o clock far" in team chat, you have no idea if that is relavent to you. First you have to check if that person is in your group.

If however you have a group chat and that infromation comes up in there, you can presume it is relavent to you and act apppropriately without hesitation.

Ofcourse if you had inforamtion relavent to the rest of the team, you could then use team chat and communicate that info to everybody.

Edited by Relinquish

I'd like to see a game that actually has people that play it in such an extremely organized way before I'd consider how effective such a feature would be. Besides, the situations where you will actually cause you to want to split your team in 2-3 sub-groups would be very specific and not the general situation. At the end, if you're already communicating well, you should already know who's next to you and who isn't, and even if "tango 12 o'clock" isn't directly relevant to the whole team they should probably still hear that I saw a tango.

I'd like to see a game that actually has people that play it in such an extremely organized way before I'd consider how effective such a feature would be.

I've seen it. Just today I was playing RvS and I had a hard time distinguishing between voice commands.

Just like anything else in this game it should be as realistic as possible. That means no text messages and voice chat only. You'll have to equip for a radio if you want to communicate with other squads that are elsewhere on the map. Probably only 1 radio for each squad(team leaders). Without the radio you should only be able to communicate with people who are within a certain distance/proximity, if you're too far away you need to move closer. Ect, etc. Communication should be exactly like how it works IRL, no magic stuff.

Keep it NORG. :thumbsup:

Edited by oorlogshond

Isn't it feasible enough to assume such a high budget/importance SF unit will have a tiny radio for each member to communicate with eachother? Granted to communicate with the HQ you should need a bigger radio which will only be carried by one person, but cutting off in-squad communication is probably just silly. Especially considering the fact most serious players will use TS/vent, and it wouldn't be unrealistic for everyone to have voice comms in a unit with a big budget.

Edited by galzohar

I'd like to see a game that actually has people that play it in such an extremely organized way before I'd consider how effective such a feature would be.

The Swat 4 expansion sees a similar feature used as common place. However I think it would be a much improved system if the number of groups, and who is in them was able to be changed mid game. Basically a lot more flexibility.

In NORG terms i believe ease of communication is key to more realistic and tactical game play. When in game communication is based on text, further restricting its abilities, imo, would be largely to the detriment of the game.

One more thing i would like to see is a server option, so those that die are placed in a seperate channel, stopping them communicating with the living. Some servers might like this, some might hate it, all im requesting is the option be considered.

How much extra bandwidth do servers for games with integraded VOIP require, compared to servers for games that don't have it?

Just like anything else in this game it should be as realistic as possible. That means no text messages and voice chat only. You'll have to equip for a radio if you want to communicate with other squads that are elsewhere on the map. Probably only 1 radio for each squad(team leaders). Without the radio you should only be able to communicate with people who are within a certain distance/proximity, if you're too far away you need to move closer. Ect, etc. Communication should be exactly like how it works IRL, no magic stuff.

Keep it NORG. :thumbsup:

Every operative would have a radio. And a radio would have channels, so this would be entirely possible.

And as for text messages: some people don't have microphones, and a prerecorded command system isn't everything. This is where practical is better then norg.

I'm actually surprised to find myself agreeing here. Having just played a VERY organized 15 v 15 match last night, where everyone had coms, I began to find that I would ignore all text ingame. Anything relevant came over the coms. As people died they were dropped from coms and you couldn't hear the other team. Maybe just allow text between matches or between the dead and spectators. It can be good to communicate links and IP addresses.

If someone is to cheap to obtain a proper headset they shouldn't be playing!

*note to self -get decent headset

There are other considerations refarding using voice in game than just having a decent mic. For one, some people play at night when they cannot make a lot of noise, so they play with headphones. Restricting them to only voice would preclude them from participating. Another issue is bandwidth. If you are on a lower bandwidth connection, VOIP can take a fair amount away from what the games needs for a smooth experience.

I'm all for limiting who can talk to who, but not for removing texting. You can't force NORG down people's throats like that or you will be playing with only you and a handful of others. There are simply some things that are inherent to PC games that need to be included in my opinion.

I used to think in-game comms were neat. Then they got annoying REAL fast. It doesn't matter what game it is, every one I've played with in-game comms I turn it off. Besides, I, like many others, just use Ventrillo and Teamspeak to talk to teammates. I'd like to see the time spent on something more useful.

As for text, having a general, team only, and squad only chat would be nice to have. Don't make it TOO much though, like ArmA did.

It isn't 100% relevant to GB, but on recent deployments, Land Warrior equipped soldiers have taken to texting intel, reports and orders to each other.

Respectfully

krise madsen

PS: I'd love to link to the info, but I simply can't remember where I read it, sorry :blush:

Edited by krise madsen

The issue is not wether it's realistic or not.

The ability to send text images is a standard must for computer games. Pre-recorded messages can't cover everything. Can't force people to have/use microphones.

Not having them would probably scare away a lot of people and limit teamplay even more.

There are other considerations refarding using voice in game than just having a decent mic. For one, some people play at night when they cannot make a lot of noise, so they play with headphones. Restricting them to only voice would preclude them from participating. Another issue is bandwidth. If you are on a lower bandwidth connection, VOIP can take a fair amount away from what the games needs for a smooth experience.

I'm all for limiting who can talk to who, but not for removing texting. You can't force NORG down people's throats like that or you will be playing with only you and a handful of others. There are simply some things that are inherent to PC games that need to be included in my opinion.

Personally i think a room of players with mixed comms will take away from the experience. It will seriously hamper team work IMHO. But since i'll be getting the console version it shouldn't be an issue for me i guess anyway...

Apart from this how will the rest of the communications be done regarding radios, proximity voice, directional voice etc? I'd really like to see NORG taken as far as possible.

I agree with John and Rasa. Having text chat is simply a must. I mean, it's still a game.

Personally i think a room of players with mixed comms will take away from the experience. It will seriously hamper team work IMHO. But since i'll be getting the console version it shouldn't be an issue for me i guess anyway...

It's still up to you who you invite in your room.

I'm a bit surprised and a little disappointed by some of the reactions here. "Not practical" ... "it's just a game" ... "scare away a lot of people". These are ussualy the things i get to hear from people who don't like realism in gaming.

Communication is a big one in the real world. And so it should be in a tactical game. Especially in this game.

Take a look at this video:'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation E3 2008 Stage Show Demo' skip to 05:50 for the voice features. Pretty cool stuff like: proximity chat, voice is affected by surroundings and your position, enemies can hear you etc.

Common guys, text messaging? During combat? Really?

Look, i've been playing with voice chat for about two years now without any issue at all. And i'm wondering, will this game have text messaging with VOIP just thrown in or will it take communication to the next level just like the rest of the features in this game?

Edited by oorlogshond

Common guys, text messaging? During combat? Really?

No.

But during games you sometimes want/need/like to chat with the fellow gamers in the server (this can be about the game/tactics or about other things > COMMUNITY building). I simply don't see a reason why to disable chat all together, give people the option to use it or not. I think it would be a big flaw if voice communication is mandatory. I've had many nights that I was playing RvS and I was on TS but because the pc is in the bedroom and my girlfriend was sleeping I had to type everything back. So there are situations where you simply can't use voice. So you want to cut me off from any communication during those situations? That will greatly improve teamwork and will be a lot of fun at those times :wacko: