Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
V2_Bloodline

"First Person Actor"

27 posts in this topic

In first person actor style, the camera is actually located inside the head of a physical character. You move your head around and you see all your limbs/chest/shoulders etc as you would normally. You should also be able to see your own shadow. A good example would be that of Chronicles of Riddick.

Since GB is using Unreal Engine 3, I am wondering whether this feature will be included in GB? It would be cool, plus it would add, immensely, to "The Natural Order of Realistic Gameplay" thing.

We are also in the process of hooking up Track IR to it for those that want to use it.

Naturalpoint, the makers of TrackIR, were kind enough to get us setup with the SDK a couple of demo units. :thumbsup:

We are also in the process of hooking up Track IR to it for those that want to use it.

Naturalpoint, the makers of TrackIR, were kind enough to get us setup with the SDK a couple of demo units. :thumbsup:

Awesome. :clapping: I think a lot of people will be creaming their shorts if TrackIR will deliver, with an improved in-game experience.

Awesome news! :notworthy:

If this is the first time using the device, after a little while you won't want to go back. Immersion up the ass. :w00t:

Even though this may not mean much, Thank you. :thumbsup:

Immersion up the ass. :w00t:

:blink:

With that in mind I think I might just hold on the trackIR experience for a while longer.

JK

We have already discussed the headgear being peripherally visible elsewhere to some extent but I think the issue is worth further exploration.

The True First Person System needs to be done right for any first-person shooter that's aiming to be authentic and immersive. And I don't mean

Good example:

, as well as the following:

@moderators: requesting change the title of this thread to: True First Person System

Hey look V2 posted a video AND actually commented on it lol

I love it how even with the wonders of the internet people still get Clip vs. Magazine wrong. Which also includes major publishers / developers.

I can't tell you guys how excited I am for Interstellar Marines. I hope they receive enough funding to release that game, soon. That game looks incredible, even though, yes: they still say "clip" and "silencer" and likely don't have a very complex ballistics model.

Their level of first-person immersion is exactly what I've always wanted in a game, and what we'll strive towards, with Ground Branch.

Anyway, back on-topic. :P

Awesome article, by the way. Did you know, that in HL2, Valve didn't model the right side of a lof of the weapons to save a handful of polygons? Hilarious stuff.

Man, I wish first-person immersion was a bigger deal...

Like anyone needs more reason to support True First Person, here's some stuff on "kinaesthetics" if you're interested:

Gregersen & Grodal; The Video Game Theory Reader 2, Chapter 4: Embodiment and Interface; pp. 65-83.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0415962838

Steve Swink; Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0123743281

Christopher Franklin; Errant Signal: Kinaesthetics.

on on the same topic by Mark Brown

Another game that comes to my mind when talking about this topic is NFS: Shift which I found to be quite a visceral racing experience. And to a lesser extent, HL2 (because of the continuity of the entire game without ever taking me out of Gordon Freeman's first-person viewpoint) and KZ2 (because of its sense of weight).

Ironically a few third person games (for instance W40k: Space Marine) also "felt punchy", but that's just me.

Games that have no loading screens besides the one when you start the game also helps to keep me in immersion (but I don't think that will be an issue here).

Edited by V2_Bloodline

NIIICE!! I was thinking about buying that for Project CARS. Now you've made it a definite buy for me if I can use it for that and this game...

I just want to add that body awareness also helps the player to orientate himself to which way is up or down. However this isn't possible in very dark or pitch-black areas due to lack of visual reference, unless in such cases the game resorts to outlining the character's body parts to represent proprioception, although using an outline might lessen the immersion.

I think in Alien: Isolation no matter how dark the space that Ripley is in, her immediate surroundings (up to maybe less than 1 feet away) are still artificially but dimly lit. I'm not sure if that also supposed to represent her sense of touch (Ripley fumbling around). And I cannot remember if Deadly Shadows or Escape from Butcher Bay (without using Riddick's eyeshine) did a similar thing.

already have a TrackIR...Just post when to test it. Those interested in purchasing a TrackIR, pm me a funny cat picture

Funny how

thinks that the True First Person View in TF2 with clipping issues and everything was mind-blowing in 2013.