belvucker

Retail Availability?

16 posts in this topic

I searched the forums to see if this game will be released into retail stores eg. Gamestop, Best Buy as a hardcopy or will it only be released as a Digital Download from Steam or other online delivery system. I personally hope and pray that it will be available in retail, can someone help enlighten me if the info does exist? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forums :hi:

Sky Gods Info Page

Sky Gods, which will be the first game released, will initially be availible for the PC and PS3 exclusively through digital distribution.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Hey Krise nice seeing you here, I've seen you on the GR.net forums, so Sky Gods and Ground Branch will be released by digital distribution? or is it only Sky Gods?

Lawrence

Hey Krise nice seeing you here, I've seen you on the GR.net forums, so Sky Gods and Ground Branch will be released by digital distribution? or is it only Sky Gods?

Lawrence

Ultimately, you will all come to the dark side, erm, Blackfoot Forums MUHAHAHA! :devil:

So far, the only "official" info is on Sky Gods.

Long story short, getting boxed copies on the shelves of game stores is a major undertaking, requiring someone with money and connections (i.e. a publisher) to open their wallet. Digital distribution (through download services such as Impulse or Steam) is easier to do. This is also why, apart from the PC, Sky Gods is will initially be released on the PS3 but not the XBOX360: The PS3 allows very large files (i.e. full size games) to be made availible through their digital distribution system, the 360 only small files (like indie mini-games).

If, somewhere along the way, a publisher picks up the title, anything is possible.

Respectfully

krise madsen

If, somewhere along the way, a publisher picks up the title, anything is possible.

Well I guess I better start praying :notworthy: and thanks for the quick replies Krise.

if you're referring to that book that i use to find in hotel suites in ... interesting .. places :

hell , we don't have 2000 years !

Edited by OberstGeil

Here is TWO examples of Australian Distributors that you may want to consider to approach to release Ground Branch into the Retail Australian Market

Quite a few games I bought in 2008 were Distributed by Red Ant

(Big Bytes Labeled Games - eg GR1 for AU$9.95 and about 12 other games for the same price range)

http://www.red-ant.com.au/Company.aspx?browserSwfVer=9.0.124

QV Software distributed Pain Killer , thou I was disappointed that it came with no LEGIT SERIAL and I had to contact them for one . Otherwise the game was a good price (AU$10 to AU$20 bucks)

and its retail box was fine and the game installed fine.

http://qvsoftware.com.au/about.asp

(Note: I don't work for any of the mentioned companies or get anything from recommending them but I would like to see the game in Australian stores , plus they might not be like certain other companies that expect game developers to change the game to suit the distribution)

Edited by charliebrownau

In Malaysia, piracy is a very chronic problem. I won't be going home for several years, but still I want to see BFS games legally breaking into the Malaysian market. As GameStop is somewhat unheard of in Malaysia (even among hardcore gamers), New Era (link here) is probably Malaysia's top retail dog against piracy.

I'm not quite sure how digital distribution (via Steam, etc.) is doing in Malaysia though. No one I know have started purchasing their games through DD yet. Not in Malaysia, not yet.

In Dublin, DD (Steam) & retailers (eg GameStop) are doing fine.

In Dublin, DD (Steam) & retailers (eg GameStop) are doing fine.

There's a Gamestop in Dublin (assuming you are talking of Ireland)? I though Gamestop was a US retailer? I know we have EB in the UK.

There's a Gamestop in Dublin (assuming you are talking of Ireland)? I though Gamestop was a US retailer? I know we have EB in the UK.

AFAIK, GameStop has purchased EB Games. My local EB store has already been rebranded GameStop, and I believe they will do this globally.

Respectfully

krise madsen

AFAIK, GameStop has purchased EB Games. My local EB store has already been rebranded GameStop, and I believe they will do this globally.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Oh yeah I knew that but I didn't know they were being renamed. The 2 EB stores in my hometown were simply shut down years ago.

What digital distribution platforms are still being looked into; Steam, Direct2Drive, GOG, etc?

I'm pretty sure it'a going to be steamworks title.

Seeing how many people have steam plus it has its own built in features which would be a huge plus for the game Id say Steam would be the way to go at start.

The more retailers that offer it the better I think.

Steam is a huuuge base to work from, but don't underestimate GamersGate or other online stores. GG actually has a lot of games on there which require Steam to run. They basically sell you the key, which you can then enter in Steam and download the game from there.

GG has the interesting feature that every purchase you make there gives you 'free money', the more expensive the purchase the more 'Blue Coins' you get. Theoretically you could eventually get a new game for free, but you'd have to buy a ######load of games before that happens. BUT it gives you a chance on a nice discount, which isn't too shabby and a good way to motivate people to buy their games there.