Sign in to follow this  
Cpl Ledanek

Any1 with iPod Touch?

Are you sure you want an Ipod? IMO those things suck. First off all you need to use iTunes so you have to import/copy everything in a library which is normal for Mac users but really irritating on a PC. Ipod's don't use a folder system, instead it reads everything based in i3d (?) tags which means that "Johnny cash", "johnny Cash", "johnny cash", "Johnny Cash" and "Cash, Johnny" are 5 different artists when searching for his songs. You have to circumvent the Ipod security system in order to get music from your Ipod BACK on your computer or on someone else's computer. There can be disastrous effects when you connect an Ipod at a friend with the auto-sync feature enabled in iTunes. On top of that you have a build in irreplaceable battery and can only charge it using a computer and usb port (or you can pay a ###### load of money for a normal socket converter).

If I were you I would settle for something else :) But it's, ofcourse, just my opinion :D

EDIT: oh and did I mention that Ipods are over-rated?

If I were you I would settle for something else :) But it's, ofcourse, just my opinion :D

EDIT: oh and did I mention that Ipods are over-rated?

that statement could have sufficed :rofl:

Suppose Creative got an mp3/mp4-video???wifi-thingy also waiting to come out....I haven't found the pictures...yet....supposed to have 7" screen.

I'm starting to think I should just get the Asus PeeWee laptop for the same price of an iPod Touch 32GB.... <_<

Led, try this instead: Zen X-Fi with Wireless LAN. Can be had in 16GB and 32GB versions (I have almost 5000* MP3s on my Vision W at 30GB and have 4GB left). I am really happy with my Zen from Creative.

*As I do not have typical sized MP3s with some reaching upwards of 20.8MB, I tend to use more space and do not come close to being able to load what the manufacturer suggest is possible.

I just got an iPod touch about a week Ago. My favorite part is the wifi connectivity. If you don't care too much about that or having about a million apps to dl, then a simple mp3 is ok. The whole problem with iTunes is that you need to sync to get apps on it. But everything else (video, music). Can be dragged and dropped. I can't get enough of the apps you can choose from. Oh, I should say that I used my iPod to post this while on campus. I like it. It is a battery hog tho. I can live with it. Last the time I am here.

I just got an iPod touch about a week Ago. My favorite part is the wifi connectivity. If you don't care too much about that or having about a million apps to dl, then a simple mp3 is ok. The whole problem with iTunes is that you need to sync to get apps on it. But everything else (video, music). Can be dragged and dropped. I can't get enough of the apps you can choose from. Oh, I should say that I used my iPod to post this while on campus. I like it. It is a battery hog tho. I can live with it. Last the time I am here.

thanks...I'm still itching to get this toy...the battery issue is my concern...last two iPod burned me with this issue...I has no problem with iTunes myself.

I use it to gather mp3s and burn them to CD...only way I know how. <_<

hopefully wifey buys me for my burthday...hope she gets me 16GB at least...then I just buy AppleCare.

Did you get the AppleCare?

No, not sure what it is. Some kind of tech support, or waranty?

warranty....just in case...HD breaks down...battery?...there are some in eBay if you find the retail price too high...like me :yes:

I much prefer the iPhone, but it is still a great device to have. It's an electronic swiss army knife.

First of all, I'm not quite sure why Windows users are so adamant about keeping their 'acquired' music collections unorganized, improperly labeled folders, thrown about the HDD.

Secondly, it is extremely easy to jailbreak or hack the device. There are lots of really cool applications which you would otherwise not have access to (though, the Appstore is fairly robust). One big reason to jailbreak is to have access to emulation software. For example, I run ScummVM on my iPhone, so I can play old LucasArts adventure games like Full Throttle.

The big issue for most people is that it does not simply use a standard 'click and drag' method of management. This is how Apple is able to maintain their deals with the record companies. Stupid, but there are ways to pull data off of iPods. The inability to play 'distributable' formats like xvid and whatnot can be a bit irritating. Putting anything but DRM-laden movies onto the device can be a bit of a headache. Of course, this will change once someone finally ports VLC. So as an open platform for media, I can understand why people prefer products from competitors.

Non-removable batteries always bug me, but I still maintain the belief that the iPhone is a revolutionary platform, and accept it as my overlord. The iPod Touch is in the same family, and I think you will find that it is also your overlord, once you come over to the dark side. :starwars:

Basically, it's a great mp3 player / gaming device / mobile WiFi computer. Great for surfing the web in bed or at a coffee shop (seeing as you are only asking about the iPod Touch). Great for directions (so long as you have access to WiFi, using the iPod).

I stress that it is a casual device; meaning: do not expect to use this at the gym. The device is somewhat fragile (if dropped on the glass, you will crack your screen) and meant to be handled with care. I dropped my iPhone on cement, but it was protected by my hard plastic case, and (thankfully) landed on the corners and the back). With that said, I recommend a hard plastic case to protect the rest of the body. There are no useable hard covers for the screen, because of the way the screen functions (same reason you can't have a stylus).

Another major turn-off, is that Apple charges for the major iPod software updates (usually); whereas they do not with the iPhone. This is unfortunate.

So, as an iPhone owner, I can tell you that I love the device. It's the best mobile browsing device you'll ever own, with a nice media player to boot (provided you organize your music). It's just a great mobile computing platform. It has a handy address book, email client and various other ways to stay organized.

If it's too inconvenient to take a notebook computer with you everywhere, this is your device. It's your computer away from your computer.

Again, the iPhone really takes things a step further. For example, you can google maps search for a business. It then brings up the option for street view (360 degree panoramic picture view) or more information. Upon selecting more info (phone number, address, options for directions, website), you can simply click on the phone number, and it automatically dials. This also works for phone numbers that are embedded into websites as well.

So, you basically get most of the iPhone, and that isn't a bad thing at all. If you have trouble staying organized, this could potentially be a life-saver for you. I wish the devices did a lot more (such as FM radio and other such commonly requested features), but what they do offer is still rather robust.

I'm not sure why you're having to sync to load apps, Mista? On the iPhone, you can download apps from the WiFi app store, and they run immediately on the phone, no syncing required.

I don't bother with Applecare, because they don't cover any accidental damage (drops and whatnot). You should have it covered with your homeowners / renters insurance instead.

It really is a slick device, and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it. I recommend making use of Apple's podcast directory on iTunes, and loading your computer / iPod with lots of free content to enjoy on the go, or while in bed with headphones. Grab a good game or two while you're at it. I recommend Fieldrunners ($5 on the app store).

It makes a great 'I can't sleep' device, if you want to avoid waking up your loved one. :P

My MP3s are all in one folder called music. I even have it set up so as I rip a CD, it does not make separate artist/album folders, they all go into one big Music folder. Kiss in action. I only open one folder and see all of my music at the same time.

How did you know my nickname of years past (it is tattooed on my arm no less)?

I dislike having to drill down through more folders than neccessary. It's easier to scroll through the songs to find what I want to me over drilling through 4 or 5 folders (some of my disk sets have 3 or more CDs which means more folders).

But that's just the thing. Using iTunes, you don't have to sift through any folders. The application keeps tabs on all of your music properly (so long as you tagged everything properly). In the case of multiple discs per release, you simply tag the files with the appropriate disc number. Then, you can click on the 'Disc #' column and sort everything in order from the first disc.

Once you get out of the habit of clicking and dragging music into WinAmp, you soon learn to appreciate an organized system like iTunes. All of your music is readily available and easily organized. There are lots of tagging options that are all searchable using the program's search bar.

Plus, iTunes has the best integrated podcast directory out of any music player out there. Lots of interesting shows to be had there.

I think the biggest problem for Windows users, is that they don't take the time to customize iTunes and enable the browser options. Without that, I can see why it'd be frustrating (and I'm not sure why it isn't enabled by default). But give it a shot. The only big downside to the program is that it doesn't natively support .ogg or flac. You can (on the mac, at least) force it to play these formats. But if the majority of your library is in the more common formats, you're golden.

same here when I had my mini iPod, I tagged the s***t of my mp3 coz they are mash-ups and so one song might have 2-5 songs in them, different genre, different DJ and the more tag you place, the easier it was to be found.

I just can't get past the battery issue...grrr...I wish I could borrow someones iPod Touch for a week to convince myself its ok

The battery life is awesome for audio. The real killer is the full-brightness screen (and some apps or games that are processor intensive). With the iPhone, it's the location services and various antennae (which can be disabled).

However, while listening to music, you'd be 'locking' the device to stick it into your pocket. Once the screen is locked, it turns off until you unlock it again. Thus, it does not eat battery life.

The battery life is fine, so long as you're not watching lots of movies. But even then, will you ever be away from a USB port for 6+ hours (the average rating for video)? I mean, unless you're taking transcontinental flights, I think you'll be okay.

I just can't see the sence in something like the Ipod Touch, if I wanted something that could do all that I'd get a mobile/pda and not an MP3 player on steroids.

Even my old Nokia N81 could do most of what the Touch series Ipods can, provided that I slot in another memorystick in it...but I dare say no Touch series will do what my 120Gb Ipod Classic can do....hold 5000 odd songs and still have more than 80Gb of it's memory free.

Plus it also playes movies if I ever had the energy to convert them to MP4 or MOV files, and the portable docking station/stereo I have for it even has an AV out port so I can hook it up to any TV to see said movies on.

Well, what's the point in having so many different devices on you?

I'm a fan of convergence devices. The iPhone / iPod Touch is kind of the evolution of the PC. In ten years, our iPhones (or iPhone successors) will be our primary machines that we just take with us everywhere (and dock when needed). Like the PipBoy in Fallout!

I have notebook computers, but I no longer take them out of the house. What's the point, when I have a tiny device that can perform many of the same casual computing tasks?

Embrace the future!

I've yet to test drive the new netbooks...I like Aspire One on XP coz of its portability...its purse size vs pocket size comparison.

If I ever get the iPod touch, it will probably more for Wifi & movies vs mp3s.

Plus it would be nice to convert all my notes to pdf and read it with the Touch vs the netbooks.

decisions....decisions....decisions....

I use Musicmatch Jukebox (I still use an old version of it after Yahoo bought it kept developing it for a while before finally stopping development of it). I can rip, tag (including album art) and play my MP3s with it. The Library has colums for artists, albums, song titles, track number, rating and year (even the fields are customizable). I can click on the little + to expand the artist to see the song titles and album names (this is how I prefer that view, though there are other ways to view your music library).

Again, no drilling down through folders.

I did have iTunes installed on a previous HD on my desktop, matter of fact, it is still there. I dislike it for it's previous DRM scheme (I got some free tunes through contests/giveaways via sodas) that didn't allow me to use it in other programs or devices. I can play MP3s on my Zen Vision W along with WMA, WAV and Audible files (protected or not) that I create. This is one reason why I dislike iPods. You have to hack them (at least you used to) in order to play MP3s on them.

That is a major misconception.

iPods are not only able to play iTunes Store protected files. They can play MP3s ripped from various applications, just fine. Also, the iTunes store is now DRM-free, but the files are not MP3s (Apple uses AAC). The new store is called 'iTunes Plus'. The only filetypes that iPods or iTunes will not play (without any hacking) are monkey audio, ogg vorbis and FLAC.

Facts.

That is a major misconception.

iPods are not only able to play iTunes Store protected files. They can play MP3s ripped from various applications, just fine. Also, the iTunes store is now DRM-free, but the files are not MP3s (Apple uses AAC). The new store is called 'iTunes Plus'. The only filetypes that iPods or iTunes will not play (without any hacking) are monkey audio, ogg vorbis and FLAC.

Facts.

AMEN. I'm on my second iPod Nano (first one still works GREAT, but has been relegated to use in my iHome2Go alarm clock) and more than 2/3 of the music I listen to was d/l'd from KaZaA (BEFORE the Napster lawsuit succeeded) or ripped from CD. And iTunes easily lets me burn CD's to listen to in the car. If I upgrade to an MP3 -capable or iPod-connectivity-enabled car stereo, I'll be 2Fast2Furious.

There's a better reason why I just hijacked this thread- I have a QUESTION about the iPhone! (as for the iPod Touch or iPhone, my friend who's been working for Apple for years tells me that the battery life is quite reasonable) My question is whether the iPhone SDK and it's various components/utilities are compatable with PC's, or just Apple computers. It's really the big decision criteria for me right now. I'm looking to start working on an FBCB2/BFT knockoff for hunting season, and need something common and GPS-enabled. iPhone is an almost perfect fit. Think of the Splinter Cell PDA thingy for rednecks. Yeah, that's what I want come next deer season...

I think I came across with something like this at LifeHacker.com or Gizmondo.com....I'll forward this query to a friend who invest in their stock and sleeps and breathes Mac.

To come back on a conversation in the future phones thread:

Well Grendel I decided to go for the iPod Touch instead as the price was much lower compared to the iPhone and at the moment I was in a bigger need for a proper portable media player/browsing device than for a phone.

Now about the thing itself: this has to be the most amazing portable device I've ever owned. I can hardly believe it actually exists. The question of how on earth they could force all this wonderful goodness in such a thin tiny package, with a proper sized screen, yet still very comfortable to use is beyond me. The Touch really earns the title "portable" as you can comfortably carry it around in your pocket, the PSP just isn't small enough for this. I still only own the device for a day but I'm afraid there's a reasonable chance that my PSP has to find a new owner.

For what it is originally meant to be (a portable media player), the Touch truly has succeeded. The overall controls are great, the controlling of the Safari web browser is even greater. Though some small buttons or touchable objects in certain games can be quite difficult to get a grip on, but this might just be a learning curve.

This leads me to making a short note about the comparison of two other handhelds that I own: The Nintendo DS and the PSP. A common heard argument from people comparing the NDS with the PSP is:

"The NDS graphics look nowhere near as good as on the PSP".

To be honest this is also what I thought in the beginning, but now I will easily say that the NDS is absolutely superior to the PSP in terms of where it's originally designed to use for (a portable gaming device). The NDS is a very fun, easy to control, portable gaming device. Versus a not thought out Game Boy on steroids with bad controls, media player, and mediocre web browser (PSP). I ended up spending many hours (and still do) playing great fun games on my NDS. While for my PSP I only bought one single game that I never finished, and kept using it as a garden and travel media player (which it is great for). The Touch and the NDS both succeeded in their intentional goals, the PSP in my opinion failed in this.

I also downloaded the Orb Live application like you mentioned Grendel, and although I really like that it quickly gives me remote access to all of my media without the need of converting a single file. But the quality just isn't as good compared to a converted file, I really hope they can fix this at some point. If you or others have any tips about improving the quality or better transcoding apps, let me know.

Also which other useful apps, podcasts, anything else.., can be recommended to download?

Welcome to the fold. Glad you enjoy it. They are really nice devices; but again, I don't see the point of owning one, when I can have that with a phone built into it. I like the all-in-one approach.

But, if you're stuck in a contract with another carrier or something, I can understand why you'd go with the iPod Touch instead. And it's definitely cheaper (in the long run).

Just, please, don't call it iTouch. That's so irritating... :P

I haven't tried Orb with the iPhone yet. Namely, because I don't want to move my content from my Mac, to a dumpy PC that I have to leave on all the time. I actually haven't used it in years. Back when I had a Windows Mobile device, I used it then, to stream from my PC. Now, I don't really have the need to. I only really watch hulu or netflix streaming. I don't really have much material to even transcode (besides maybe what I've stored onto my PS3).

So, what I'm holding out for, is Flash Mobile (with support for hulu and so forth).

I'll definitely look into it some more, and see if there's anything handy. The word on the street is that SlingBox is creating an iPhone application. SlingBox is a device that plugs into your cable box or DVR, and transcodes in realtime, over the internet. So, if you're at work, on your lunch, you can log into your DVR and watch an episode of a show that you missed. It's really nice; provided you're the kind of person that likes paying for a monthly cable bill and box rental fee. Similar to Orb, only you don't need a PC (just a proprietary 'box'). Me? I embrace the future.

To IPTV and podcasts!

On the 'portable game consoles vs. the iPod / iPhone' (or versus each other), I believe they all have their place, and haven't been made obsolete by the iPhone (yet). Again, it all comes down to the sort of entertainment you're looking for. Puzzle games and strategy games are great for the iPhone. Racing games and shooters? Not so much. With that said, it absolutely is a competitor in that portable space. It has a robust application store, with thousands of games (at least a handful of great ones).

The DS definitely has the strongest library. With that said, it is missing a lot of great games on the PSP side. Out of the box, it (the original system) lacks the ability to even surf the web. It doesn't support any handy tools (like Skype) and isn't very well-suited for 3D-intensive or online gaming. Plus, with the PSP, you can log in (remotely) to your PS3, and stream music and supported videos via WiFi. It's not perfect, but it's pretty cool.

Whenever someone asks me which one they should buy, I say 'both, if you can afford to - the DS if you want a huge library of games'. They're just different beasts.

As far as podcasts and such? Definitely. I have a recommendation list the size of a pocket bible. But it depends on what kind of stuff you want to listen to and watch. Technology? Gaming? News? Cooking? Perhaps I'll make a thread as a resource.

But the thing to take away from all of this, is: the iPhone / iPod Touch is the internet in your pocket. And it 'just works'. For once. And that's the big realization you have, when you get your hands on one.

how's the quality of the music?

why is it being shun by audiophiles?

if audiophiles do get it, they always say get an amp with it.

audiophiles even recommend the Cowon over Touch