Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tactical Jerky

Video capture software

19 posts in this topic

In another topic there was a short discussion about different types of video capture software to use for capturing game videos. I toyed around with the unlicensed version of Fraps and really liked the results it gave. But before making the decision to purchase the full version I wanted to know if there were better alternatives for around the same price, or free.

I found out that Xfire since a while also has the option to capture ingame footage. The single game I tested it on gave pretty good results, but a drawback is that you can only capture certain supported games.

The other program I tried is . Camstudio is completely free and the fun thing with this program is that it can capture everything. This means it can also capture your desktop and every single thing you are doing at the time, including your cursor. The past days I spent hours fiddling around with all kinds of codecs and different settings to see if I could obtain the same quality results as Fraps produces. With the ffdshow Video codec in Uncompressed, and every other setting maxed out I obtained quite decent results, but still not as good compared to what Fraps produces (frame rate is not as smooth as I want it to be). Nevertheless I can recommend everyone interested in video capturing to check it out as it's a nice free nifty program that next to game capturing has plenty of other potentially good uses.

Any other good recommendations? If not I think I'm going for Fraps.

Edited by NYR_32
Removed link to Camstudio as is now has malware.

Thanks Tactical Jerky....Fraps would bog down my system...glad you found this!

Dang....anyone recommend a FREE editing package!

I have a 3.9GB .avi file that runs for 39 mins.. I want to split it into 10 min chunks then compress each one down.

I play with movies once in a blue moon so am reluctant to purchase anything. Thx in advance for any help :thumbsup:

Dang....anyone recommend a FREE editing package!

I have a 3.9GB .avi file that runs for 39 mins.. I want to split it into 10 min chunks then compress each one down.

I play with movies once in a blue moon so am reluctant to purchase anything. Thx in advance for any help :thumbsup:

I believe I used VirtualDub in the past for some clips I had to edit.

Have you tried playclaw? It had a free 30 day trial last time I checked. It succeeded at properly recording game sound, where FRAPS failed for me.

Edited by galzohar

What is the state of the deal? Is there any other good video capture software, beside fraps? Something similar in price, but perhaps a bit better?

What I tend to do on my channel is record with fraps, then convert with...any video converter ultimate. For a more pro based system would be corel video, but this is all post record conversion ofc.

What is the state of the deal? Is there any other good video capture software, beside fraps? Something similar in price, but perhaps a bit better?

I use bandicam. It is $30 and uses less resources than Fraps. The quality is excellent.

https://www.youtube....ntv144sQ/videos

I also have the option to use Shadowplay as I have a GTX760 but I have not tried it because of the "if it isn't broken why fix it" Bandicam use.

I convert the videos for Youtube with Windows Movie Maker. I do not have to convert them but by doing so it reduces the upload time due to the lower file size. The quality is not really effected as I still keep them as 1080p.

Edited by Jack Booted Thug

Would love to hear some if you guys have any feedback on any of these as well:

- Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)

- Dxtory

- Mirillis Action!

Note: OBS is free.

I found out that Xfire since a while also has the option to capture ingame footage.

I used xfire once or twice, but could never find a video editor/converter which can handle the xfire-codec properly.

I'm using the record-function of MSI Afterburner plus Any Video Converter for cutting/merging/compressing. Both free.

I have the full version of any video converter and its been perfectly fine with me also. Video capture I've gone from Fraps to shadowplay and personally prefer the latter. But as Raptor mentioned that the afterburner tool has a record function and Im running MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming Edition, I think I shall give it a go and see how it holds up.

I use OBS for the videos on my channel (www.youtube.com/zoombapup) and its fine. OBS does livestreaming, but you can tell it to render to a file as well, or instead of the livestreaming. You can also up the bitrate and generally make nicer resolution stuff in OBS by doing tweaks for quality if you're not streaming.

I used to use Bandicam and really recommend that for a paid solution. But OBS is free and works really well. Bandicam also had issues making mp4 files that my editing software (Sony Vegas) could handle for some reason. So I switched to OBS and its bloody great. WAY better than fraps because it uses less resources so your FPS is better, files are compressed on the fly, so they use way less disk space and you can tweak for some amazing quality.