Sign in to follow this  
Nemesis

iPAD

A friend here has an iPad. I like it. A LOT. I want one. And I'll probably have mine by Summer's end...

I don't think the iPad was ever marketed as an 'enterprising tool', either. Now that I think of it: neither was the iPhone, nor the iPod. And would you look at that: probably the two biggest commercial successes of consumer tech in the history of the world; two devices that entirely defined and dominated their respected markets. The next closest thing is probably the Sony Walkman.

How 'adapted by the masses' does it need to be? How about selling over 500,000 units in the span of a weekend?

Like I said, the device has been out for a little over a week and you're not convinced.

I guess my point is: the internet is so under-utilized and so young. The way in which we interact with it is quite primitive. Touch-based gestures (and eventually voice) are clearly the way forward, until we reach the "

" point. While I don't disagree that the days of the Microsoft Home are coming, it's safe (and rational) to say that we're still a ways off from it. The key difference between my theory and yours is: touch-based computing is actually here. I can go to the store and buy a thin 'booklet' computer that offers me a fresh take on navigation. I cannot, despite my assumed unlimited wealth, go into a store and pick up a "Microsoft Home Of The Future" kit.

So, while projection gestures are neat and affordable, we're just scratching the surface of viable voice search and operation; and becoming a full-on gesture-cyborg with fingertip-crayons is still a ways out. Will we have sci-fi, holographic, wrist-mounted computers in the future? Oh, I have no doubt in my mind. Until that day comes, we'll just have to be more reasonable.

Just sit down with an iPad, and go through your average day. Check the news, look at stocks, check your mail. All of it is extremely smooth and quick. Going back to the traditional mouse-based navigation feels so dated and cumbersome. It's not perfect (due to lack of multitasking, at the moment), but it is quite comfortable.

Like I said: you may not agree with the company who produced it, and you may have your prejudices. Those aside, it's a remarkably neat peak into what will be the norm in a few years time.

I wouldn't call this my 'dream device', but it certainly is revolutionary in delivering the first, marketable touch-computing solution, outside of a smartphone. Yes, I realize 'tablet PCs' have been around for a number of years. The key difference - as mentioned previously - is that this OS is specifically designed to be used with your fingertips. In five years time, when the entire Apple product line is following in the footsteps of this device, I imagine we will refer to it as having been 'revolutionary'; much along the same lines of how the original 'brick' iPod is viewed as a revolutionary device, responsible for kick-starting the MP3 player craze.

Also, what Wacom product (or design) are you referring to? Wacom is known for electromagnetic tablets, which interact with pens. The only multitouch device they've released is the Bamboo tablet (which is only capable of tracking two points). What sort of 'overlay' do you speak of? Wacom's only foray into the LCD market is with the Cintiq line (which, again, uses electromagnetic resonance to track along the X,Y coordinates, using a pen). Is there some industry secret / scandal I'm missing here?

I just don't get you, sometimes. How can anyone in their right mind look at that Courier concept video and not get excited? Some people will just never be satisfied, I guess...

....VHS vs Betamax, CD vs Vinyl, DVD vs VHS, iPod vs MP3, iPhone vs Mobiles, iPAD vs ???....PC ??? Laptop???...Notebook??? PCTablet???

Ok to save requoting & quoting etc.. I''ll break it down from my understanding.

So far you are in awe of the iPAD stating its revolutionary in terms of moving technology forward, aiming the APPstore as the most prestigious method of acquiring software & deeming that Touchscreen is the next evolutionary step in navigating in the computer environment.

...if Ive got anything wrong there please put me right :thumbsup: as thats just my summary from what Im reading/interpreting.

What I am saying is that I disagree with such comments & find the iPAD as just another "gadget" rather than the revolutionary leader. My point about being Revolutionary is that it cant replace the technology that already exists, my prime account was enterprise businesses as an example to which you agree that spreadsheets etc wouldnt be improved.

We both agree that voice activation is the way forward. Voice Technologies have been around for almost 20 years now (Dragon Dictate has been going for that long & has been manged by 4 differing companies...but this app is only a step in the right direction not a complete solution). Wacom did realease a touch-screen overlay system that looked like the old "sit on the CRT screen anti-glare frame" it operated with Windows 3.11 & Win95. I know it exists as we were shipping the odd few around the globe as Wacoms distributor. You probably wont find tech on the net as it never seemed to take off...it was too much too soon & people never took it up & saw the possibilities. I was soo impressed I nearly bought one myself but opted for a cheaper Creative Light pen & Tablet option instead for the artside of my activities.

In fact the iPAd is one thing that cant do all of my daily activities. Im modelling in 3D, rendering for days on end, emailing, webbrowsing, forum posting, gaming etc etc.

So to summise my side, its another gadget. A good gadget .. I dont disagree. The foreruner to the future way for working & doing things though.. I do disagree.

..Ill see where the iPAD goes in a year or so to see what is created for it & how it can adapt at becoming revolutionary but in the meantime...well, you know my view :)

I respect your view...but I just dont agree with the "Wow!" hype & agree Im an iPAD "Naysayer" but its only because I want more than whats been delivered ;-)

As for the courier...oh come on! Its just marketting a product in competition with the iPad even the design looks similar the touch interface is the same "pinch" etc etc....do I really need to continue. Rub your eyes Grendel & look at what it is rather than just seeing it :thumbsup:

A friend here has an iPad. I like it. A LOT. I want one. And I'll probably have mine by Summer's end...

BOUGHT. Love it!

First, it's pretty practical for me. A lot of my teachers/professors here post their lecture notes ahead of class either to a website or via email, so I can take those and convert to PDF. Then I email them to myself, download from the Mail app on my iPad, and VOILA! I have lecture notes in iBooks, portable. Nice...

It's a pretty good deal for a college student- most campuses are covered in WiFi, so this lets me have a roughly laptop-size screen, more-or-less full keyboard, and internet connectivity, without carrying an actual laptop around with me. And with a MobileMe account, it synchronizes my contacts, calendar, and so on, over the internet connection, without having to go back to my Mac to connect the two. The Mac office suite (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers) is available for iPad for a grand total of $29.97 ($9.99 each) from the iTunes store. I can get Kindle reader for free.

Mind you, my second major (Russian Language- it's finally a proper Foreign Language degree program here) is very literature-intensive, so having the ability to download and read these books/stories (many are free, thanks to Project Gutenberg (sp?), at least in translation) at my leisure without carrying them around physically, is a big plus.

iPad is a really great asset for a student. I can see the potential for an iPad 3G in enterprise, as well. A friend who owns a portable toilet business recently talked with me about developing a software system for his business, for which I think the iPad 3G, with its GPS capabilities, would be an ideal device.

GARSH, I love this thing!

I finally got some hands-on with an iPad this week. I really love how quick and responsive it just felt.

Rabi I don't know if you're interested in such a thing but I saw a really cool looking case with a build in hardware keyboard. It lets you flip the case open and rest your iPad in an angle, and so allows you to use the iPad as a laptop.

I'll try to dig up a link.

Edit: http://i.engadget.com/photos/clamcase-ipad...-into-a-laptop/

Thanks, but I've got a Mac for that! I could use a case to protect my investment, though. thinkgeek.com has a pretty good-looking one for about $30 if I remember correctly. My girlfriend got the flimsy one they sell at BestBuy, and isn't too impressed with it. The keyboard they sell is kinda cool, but I think if I get one it'll be just Русский язык...

iPad Q.... and no i haven't read through the 4 pages of post for the answer, lol...

Last night was pretty funny... not the incident but how we prepared for it... I was working when we got a call that a wife and husband had a domestic, she left to a friends house, he called and said "when you come back I'm going to kill you then any cop that shows up", so she called us... we met in a parking lot, got the story... gun nut with a number of automatic rifles... so we took it serious, we decided we need to set up a perimeter, have officers with long guns covering... call the dude and see if he will come out and talk, if not we would hold perimeter and call in SWAT... use to be that you just called in SWAT and let them handle it since he was home alone, but with the cutbacks...calling SWAT has to be approved by the chief and only as a last result... cost money to call them out... so anyway... it was funny because 3 of us pulled out our iPhones (or smart phones) got a map of the house/area, satellite view... his picture from dispatch was e-mailed to us and other info... so we were all standing around looking at these little iPhones make a perimeter/combat plan...

So I was thinking, "man, if one of us had a iPad we could have a bigger display and probably a program to draw on it"... so I was wondering...finally the question, lol... if you have a iphone and a ipad can you some how use the iPhone as the connection to the net to get the google maps and stuff... if so that would save 200 bucks on a iPad.

BTW, he surrendered and came out without issue.

other Q.

1. can you share apps with a iPhone and iPad connection through iTunes? meaning if you have both can both be sync with the same PC.

2. can you use a special pen on a iPad to draw images on a map or something like that?

3. is the iPad always on like a iPhone or do you have to "boot it up" each time you want to use it?

4. how is it for gaming web site viewing and quick internet looks?

Thx

Magnum sharing the internet connection of a device like a phone to a device without the ability to establish a direct connection is called "tethering". It seems it requires Jailbraking to make it happen. The info you need should be between this.

Other questions:

1: If you mean if you can run iPhone apps on an iPad, the answer is yes. The iPad can scale up the smaller image. And your purchased apps are linked to your account so you don't have to re-buy them for each device.

2: Do you mean a stylus instead of using your fingers, or a marker with special ink that could be wiped off the screen after use? I wouldn't know but I think you could load a map image into a photo editing app and use a software brush to draw stuff on the image using your fingers.

3: I don't have one but as far as I know you can sleep and wake the thing instantly just like an iPhone.

4: The device basically is designed for this sole purpose so you should be alright.

Gotta admit it as much of a dinosaur as I am with my mentality, technology and accessibility these days is incredible!

On topic was thinking of getting my folks ipads for use at home, since they are always on their iphones. My father the tech nut more, but am sure my mother will appreciate a larger surface to work with when doing mails to relatives / friends. Plus watch her shows and play bejewled on :lol:

I swear that game is everywhere!