I decided to make a BFS YouTube channel!

BFS on YouTube

I'll use this for our rough development videos moving forward, with an announcement of each addition on the blog here. Right now the only thing up is the training space flythrough you all have seen...... however, I could use some advice on how to make good quality videos for YouTube. As you will notice, the auto conversion it does makes for a terrible presentation.

So, any and all advise on best practices for YouTube video construction is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Good to hear John.

From the Youtube FAQ

We specifically recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 640x480 resolution with MP3 audio. Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube.

Though they support up to 1080p now. Never really used the DiVx encoder so not sure how well it does.

I am actually working on some things this weekend and with any luck will actually get them finished!

I want to redo that flythrough movie but am running into some issue with the new Speedtree release. They completely changed the workflow so the new trees look like crap because I haven't figured out the best approach yet. I had the older release ones dialed in, but it takes a while to tweak things the way I like them. ;)

I also want to do some character movements in the animation editor... nothing in game, but in the editor just to show the guy actually moving in the engine.

Cool :)

I hope the Speedtree stuff works out :thumbsup:

Not so far :angry:

Its not the programs fault though... just a different way of doing things that requires lots of iterations to get right. Same thing happened with the old version to.

Well, I didn't get the issues resolved over the weekend. There is a bug in the shadow code or something because the new trees flicker all the time. So I will have to await word form Epic on whats going on.

EPIC!!!111 :zorro:

EDIT:

Just a question of method; when stepping out to the left yeah, can't the left leg start the step-out and then the right leg follow through? and when stepping back in, the the left leg pushes the body back into position without the right leg move an extra step to the right (at the end of the step-in animation)? (Almost mirroring the right-sided step-out/step-in)

Or would this method shorten the distance of the stepout?

Edited by V2_Bloodline

EPIC!!!111 :zorro:

Oh yes :yes:

EDIT:

Just a question of method; when stepping out to the left yeah, can't the left leg start the step-out and then the right leg follow through? and when stepping back in, the the left leg pushes the body back into position without the right leg move an extra step to the right (at the end of the step-in animation)? (Almost mirroring the right-sided step-out/step-in)

I don't know much about tactical movement. But I think he might walk this way to avoid triping (crossing your legs is not a good idea).

I noticed another thing, when he moves forward his footsteps are in a line. I rember I saw it in one of "tactical movement guides" (youtube ;) ), and the Guy told that you should place your feet in a line when moving and aiming to reduce weapon sway. I'm not surprised by those details present in BFS animation, especially with HF as an motion capture actor.

EPIC!!!

^

EDIT:

It seems to me the way Hatchetforce moves makes sense, because the character applies a combat stance, where he has the body leaned slightly forward and most of the weight is carried on the left leg, the right leg just supports. That way you can easily step out to the right, but in order to step out to the left you need to bring the right leg below the centermass to shift the weight on it to keep balance. That's what I can tell from my observation at least, I could be wrong though.

What I love about these animations is the realistic slowpace-ness, no CharlieChaplin-esque quickness that many games have. The original R6 and GR had a realistic pace aswell.

Some feedback:

There's still the twitchy movement of the left leg (leg as in from knee to ankle) during walking forward engaged. It's a medial/internal rotation of the knee joint which is unusual. I noticed it since one of the previous mocap video (Link). Also in the linked video I just want to mention the twitch of the right shoulder and left elbow, both during the reload animation.

Yeah, I saw that twitch too V2..... Added to the list of things to fix. I bet there are lots of little things like that that will pop up over time as things get better scrutinized.

The movement is all HF with some cleanup and specific work done for looping, but I made a very conscious effort to not have the motions over processed. Doing too much work on mocap gives it that typical over exaggerated look that you see in a lot of games. We picked up a lot of small detail in the captures and I want to make sure they stay in there to add live and a realistic "character" to them.

As far as crossing legs when moving, that is generally avoided if possible. B)

Nonono, the legs won't cross. What i meant was something like this:

anim_ea0057ff-39dd-3664-35ca-18d63dc69c81.gif

Notice that the right leg doesn't take any "step".

I AM NOT TRYING TO CORRECT ANYTHING! I guess my point of asking is that I am just curious to know the fundamental reasonings behind the footwork.

anim_ea0057ff-39dd-3664-35ca-18d63dc69c81.gif

Notice that the right leg doesn't take any "step".

Looks to me like it "slides" behind the movement, since the weight is shifted to the left leg and it slides back to previous position when the character steps back. Good question though is, how it will look on uneven terrain, since the mocaps were done on even floor.

John, can you explain the headphone/ear-protection? Does it enhance hearing and protects against loud gunfire?

The right foot slides behind as his weight shifts. I don't know if there is any special reasoning behind it or not. I asked him to step out of cover and that is what he did.... It's just his natural movement. :lol:

The headgear is a Peltor system. In real life, it is a communications device and hearing protection in one. It will allow you to hear natural conversation and noises, but cut the sound way down when gun fire goes off. Kind of like an instant noise canceling device. You can also hook it into your comms.

In the game, it doesn't do anything at the moment. We may look at including some of the sound dampening properties at some point though.

Man, seeing those mocap animations with HF makes me want to play this game so bad I can almost taste it. :drool:

Definitely. You know, even these little in progress teasers show the eye for detail and that this game is developed with passion instead of making a quick cash cow.

Snippets like these show exactly what BFS stands for! A vision, a passion, a product they believe in for the full 100%. This mindset and the quality is what sets them apart from the crowd, and why they deserve great success with Ground Branch.

What colour do the vests have? It looks like olive green, but appears to be quite dark, while the pouches are green, too, but much brighter than the vests. I think I recognize the pouches from the early work, so they must be place holders for now I'd assume.

I see you gave the character desert boots. I've seen that often in pictures showing training exercises, woodland camo and desert boots. I guess it is just what they were issued to, but will we see desert boots or black boots in Sumatra?

What colour do the vests have? It looks like olive green, but appears to be quite dark, while the pouches are green, too, but much brighter than the vests. I think I recognize the pouches from the early work, so they must be place holders for now I'd assume.

The pouches in the video are all old and will be replaced. The untextured white ones in the images are the new ones. The coloring is just 1 version that is done. There will be many versions to choose from but I don't want to explain the entire customization setup due to possible prying eyes. I want to keep some secrets. <_<

I will say that playing MP will be similar to playing the old R6 games in terms of team setup. :feedthemonster:

I see you gave the character desert boots. I've seen that often in pictures showing training exercises, woodland camo and desert boots. I guess it is just what they were issued to, but will we see desert boots or black boots in Sumatra?

More or less due to the explanation above. Troops these days mostly get ACUs and desert style boots issued to them. SF guys can wear what they want and you will see various types of footwear in the game though. :thumbsup:

The pouches in the video are all old and will be replaced. The untextured white ones in the images are the new ones. The coloring is just 1 version that is done. There will be many versions to choose from but I don't want to explain the entire customization setup due to possible prying eyes. I want to keep some secrets. <_<

I will say that playing MP will be similar to playing the old R6 games in terms of team setup. :feedthemonster:

More or less due to the explanation above. Troops these days mostly get ACUs and desert style boots issued to them. SF guys can wear what they want and you will see various types of footwear in the game though. :thumbsup:

When does pre-order go live?

Speaking of youtube, if you want quality there is very little that you have to do, but that little you really have to do or you will get terrible results (or at least much worse than you can get).

When it comes to formats, I found that converting to mp4 with format factory without tweaking any of the settings gave the best quality out of anything else I've tried, and to be honest it's hard to tell the difference between the end result and the original recording. mp4 is also a supported youtube format - Uploading in some unsupported formats will make youtube convert it again to mp4 as far as I could tell, but it's probably best to do the conversion yourself to get the best quality (and quality per file size) as well as being able to see the result before uploading.

Youtube supports very specific resolutions. For HD that is 1280:720 and 1920:1080. Uploading a video in any other resolution leaves you to the mercy of youtube when it comes to HD support. Always record, edit and upload at one of those resolutions if you want good quality. Uploading at a higher resolution will keep the lower ones available, youtube will automatically convert it for those who wish to view lower resolutions.

for 1680:1050 and converting the AVI to MP4 using FormatFactory. Note that only 1280:720 is available since youtube does not really support 1680:1050, and also the black borders because of the different aspect ratio, but the quality itself is not a whole massive difference than I get on my own PC when playing (but is still rather noticeable of course). I would record at 16:9 resolutions if recording was the only purpose, but I'm actually trying to enjoy the game on my 1680:1050 monitor and just recording as I play ;) Edited by galzohar