Flogger23m

Rising Storm - RO HoS mod

Sounds have a bigger 'Depth?' to them. New music for the sides is cool. As of today they added jungle map in with helo's so can hear the new sounds they are raving about. Will get some footage of that when I can get into a populated server. And yeah I notice overall the graphics have seem to take a step forward. 

maybe I'm oversimplifying it a bit, but I think this game is proof of how good even an outdated engine can be in the right hands. these guys have so much experience making shooters on UE3, that they managed to make their game look better than most UE4 games out there

Yup & you have the struggle to go with it, get 50m up the side, then punji trap, grenade, RPD you name it and start again. 

There aren't many UE4 games even out. Only AAA one I can think of is Gears of War 4. Graphically, RS2 looks ugly. It doesn't even come close to BF3, let alone 4 or 1. And that is going to be a six year old game soon. The effects are ugly, the M16 looks artificial and so clean as if it was a toy. Animations are not as smooth as BF3/4/1, and even worse than RO1. They don't look natural and are very jittery. It is immersion breaking after seeing the wonderful reloads in BF3/4 for years. I expected this though as it is an indie dev taking an older indie game from 2011 and improving it a bit. Animation wise RO2/RS suffered and I preferred RO1's animations because the looked more smooth.

After playing the beta I am mixed. It seems better than RO2/RS, but not where it needs to be. Maps are just too small for helicopters, movement is still too clunky like RO2, sound system is terrible. Sounds like there is zero difference from a gun shot 100 meters away VS right in your face. Again, after playing BF3/4 for so long it just stands out. The horrible LOD pop in is back, which makes it hard to spot enemies. Exaggerated weapon sway is also back. Suppression is over done, and the bleeding mechanics is as annoying and pointless as ever.

GUI is ugly, a mix of unfitting bright colors, bland text and just awkward design that stands out like a sore thumb. Maps need some massive re-balancing, as do the teams. Defenders are at a massive advantage.

The game has potential, but I am not sure if some of the big offenders, sound engine/effects and the like, will ever be replaced. Some of the small things like balance can be fixed but I don't think this game has what it takes to really hit it out of the park. 

If only BF4 allowed mods, I'd think we would be able to get an excellent realistic MP shooter out of it. There is less (IMO) to fix in BF4 to bring it up to par compared to where RS2 is right now. Perhaps DICE LA will bring out a good BF sometime next year, because BF1 is dull.

2 hours ago, Flogger23m said:

There aren't many UE4 games even out. Only AAA one I can think of is Gears of War 4. Graphically, RS2 looks ugly. It doesn't even come close to BF3, let alone 4 or 1.

there are many UE4 games out, counting Early Access, and RS2 is hardly AAA. I don't think it's fair to compare it to BF4, not to mention BF1 which is one of the best looking games in the history of gaming :D

I don't think RS2 looks ugly, by the way. for example, Squad looks way worse. so does Arma 3. 

I do agree about modding BF games. I think Project Reality on Frostbite would be the best tactical shooter ever.

Edited by AbsoluteVirtue

Played it some more, and I will say it is a step up from RO2/RS. The main problems right now, aside from small bugs are:

1) Movement still feels a bit too clunky. RO1 had a feeling of weight, but you did not get stuck on things and stance transitions were smooth. This needs to be changed.

2) Maps seem too small for helis, but the helis themselves seem decent. Can't figure out how the AH-1 gunner shoots though?

3) Balance. It seems heavily lopsided to the Vietnamese as of now. On all the maps, especially the city one, I have only see the Americans go on the offense once.

4) Suppression is still too over done. And people know this, because they jump dump half a mag in your general direction to screw up your aiming. It just feels like an odd artificial mechanic. Those who play more cautiously and like to aim are penalized.

5) Scope/sight sway seems a bit over done. Mainly in that it jitters too quick. RO1 the movement was a bit too slow; some middle ground is needed.

On 2/23/2017 at 5:56 PM, AbsoluteVirtue said:

maybe I'm oversimplifying it a bit, but I think this game is proof of how good even an outdated engine can be in the right hands. these guys have so much experience making shooters on UE3, that they managed to make their game look better than most UE4 games out there

You are correct... those guys are great with UE3. However, they have also rewritten a lot of the core rendering/lighting systems so that helps. It isn't really stock UE3 anymore. :)

I have never played a red orchestra game, so forgive me for my naiveness. But how realistic/tactical is rising storm 2 vietnam compared to reputable tactical shooters like raven shield, rogue spear, arma, etc? It definitely looks more atmospheric but that's just one important aspect to me.

it'll never be as realistic or tactical as rogue spears or raven shield due to its exclusive player vs player content. you can not properly simulate real tactics with human beings in a virtual environment, they do not behave as they would in reality, not just due to spawning, but due limitations in control schemes, limitation in technology, game format, ie the types of games that involve multiplayer do not accommodate highly specific and deep tactics that you could for example accomplish with the waypoint system in rogue spears or the command system in raven shield or swat.

in terms of mechanics, shooting, movement, etc, it's superior to those games on the macro scale.

20 minutes ago, StrykerE92 said:

Is it just me or does the semi auto fire from the M16 use the same SFX as the M4 in Ground Branch?

Same sound library?

I gathered my thoughts and decided to do an impressions video, specifically from the point of view of someone who played the original Red Orchestra: Ostfront. It's the first time I've done a video like this so let me know what you think :)

Sounds pretty professional.
Guess as someone who only really played RO HoS,
I now know where all the other games in the series fit in and I have a good understanding of how RO2 plays in particular.

Gameplay is cool too, shows that you indeed can play the game very well.
I like ;-)

So i'm around 5 hours in game, and i find it very hard to shoot. mouse acceleration feels very limited to where i'm allowed to shoot, is this a by product of free aim?