I'm getting the new update from Epic integrated and thought I would snap a quick screen shot of a new feature... God Rays/Light Shafts. Neat stuff.

DemoMap_NewFeatures1.jpg

It's a "all around" map that I will use to prototype all game types. It's designed to support just about any type, though may not end up being an actual map in the release. It will show up in any pre-release builds we put out though.

Ick   

Nice. Reminds me of that old Ghost Recon map called... Railroad Bridge? The one where you had to defend the UN troops at the house from the enemies coming down the valley under the bridge... and then had to clear the patrols.

Kirq   
It's a "all around" map that I will use to prototype all game types. It's designed to support just about any type, though may not end up being an actual map in the release. It will show up in any pre-release builds we put out though.

I see. Are You still planing to release "something playable" this year?

Peace   

Cool, nice pic! Thanks!

Ps Interesting article/video about the military sim too. Best of luck!

Cheers

I see. Are You still planing to release "something playable" this year?

I am trying. My plan is this....

- Release small 'Performance Test'

• Has the training maps but no functionality
  • Player can move through the space with normal speeds but there is no character or weapon visible
  • Built in "timedemo" flythroughs for reporting performance
  • This give an idea of where things are with our quality bar and peoples machines

- Release with functional UI

• Initial UI example including character and weapon customization
  • Functional but does not translate into in game character yet

- Release adding in first pass at player characters and weapons

• No MP connectivity yet
  • Ability for player to shoot weapons in a map
  • Working targets

- Release adding in connectivity

• Ability to connect using direct IP
  • Players can run around and shoot targets or each other
  • No game types defined

Those are my goals for this year, though there is no time table set for it. Doing this should give everyone a solid idea of what the game will be like and then I can start to refine things as well as add in lots of content. We'll see how it goes. B)

Nemesis   

..organised = efficient :)

Love the screenshot John, thx for sharing :thumbsup:

Does the Time of Day impact the godrays?! Are god rays created as a partof the lightmap?! Does the updated lighting impact performance?! Is this a High Level decal or set for all?!

Its a cool feature but can I just ask..please please please dont over use it. it will look fantastic is dark jungle with tight canopies but look naff on if used on open fields as I'm sure you know ;-)

Godrays are caused by brightlight passing through particles ie: mist, dust or simply atmospheric haze. A dusty environment represents an area of activity ie: old workshop with splintered wooden slats on the walls/ceiling where godrays pass in etc. I think they will make some cool additions in game especially when the brightness of the light hits you in the eyes & also makes you respect concealment/shaded spots to avoid shadow casting :)

Kirq   

Sounds like an ambitious plan. If You manage to accoplish it, I think it would be safe to expect Ground Branch Multiplayer next year :) I keep my fingers crossed!

galzohar   

If you can apply some anti-aliasing to that screenshot (as well as future ones) it would probably go a long way in terms of PR.

In any case, can't wait to shoot a weapon in your game.

Edited by galzohar

Does the Time of Day impact the godrays?! Are god rays created as a partof the lightmap?! Does the updated lighting impact performance?! Is this a High Level decal or set for all?!

Yes. The rays are setup from the directional light that represents the sun. So the rays accurately reflect the lights position and intensity or can simply be turned off. There are some other fine tuning parameters in there to make things more subtle and natural.... this is just the default.

Are god rays created as a partof the lightmap?! Does the updated lighting impact performance?!

The rays only work on dynamic lights and the "sun" directional light is dynamic (though highly optimized) There is a slight couple fps hit with them on, but we will have it as an option.

Is this a High Level decal or set for all?!

Not sure what you mean.....

If you can apply some anti-aliasing to that screenshot (as well as future ones) it would probably go a long way in terms of PR.

UE3 can only do AA in DX10 and I don't have a DX10 GPU. I'll upgrade one day, but I like using this older card to keep a better gauge of performance as I work.

Nutlink   
I know someone who has a DX11 part who could try it out for free! :whistle:

I'd be more than happy to stress test my 5870 for BFS. Thanks for the nomination!

galzohar   

I thought DX10 didn't offer all that much (based on what I was reading here and what I was actually seeing in comparisons done in games that support both DX9 and DX10), which makes it kinda surprising that you actually need it for something as important as anti aliasing.

It's a semi complicated explanation on how the engine does it's rendering, but due to some architecture choices in the lighting/post process paths, DX9 doesn't have the ability to do AA. In and of itself, DX9 does AA, but it isn't possible in UE3.... and other engines that use some of the same techniques. DX10 takes this into account and allows AA when using these techniques.

Nemesis   
There is a slight couple fps hit with them on, but we will have it as an option.

Is this a High Level decal or set for all?!

Not sure what you mean.....

...it was answered in there, I termed it poorly :thumbsup:

It's a semi complicated explanation on how the engine does it's rendering, but due to some architecture choices in the lighting/post process paths, DX9 doesn't have the ability to do AA. In and of itself, DX9 does AA, but it isn't possible in UE3.... and other engines that use some of the same techniques. DX10 takes this into account and allows AA when using these techniques.

Im guessing your talking about Volumetric lighting & AA ??

Im guessing your talking about Volumetric lighting & AA ??

No, it's mainly the realtime lighting architecture that does it. The main culprit is something called Differed Lighting/Deferred Rendering. UE3 isn't a fully deferred system but uses some aspects of it.