Sign in to follow this  
MONOLITH

Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim.

Fixxxer   

Yes, more Bethesda goodness.

I still haven't even finished Oblivion, though I still play it.

Some of the changes from TES 3 to 4 I wasn't too thrilled about. Everything leveling to you made the game feel less epic in comparison. Obtaining Daedric armor/weapons wasn't too easy in 3, but in 4 it was bloated with it at higher levels. It just didn't feel as "cool". Not to mention when you did a quest, got a reward then realized in 20 levels the item(s) would have been so much more powerful. Resulting in those that are obsessive compulsive to start over, get max level and then do quests. >.>

Off topic-ish-

Just out of curiosity, MONO, but did/do you play Fallout 3/New Vegas? The Elder Scrolls is great, but something about their Fallout series is truly epic to the post-apocalyptic fan. I never got much into the turn-based Fallout games. Not that I didn't like them, though. I just recently (well...a year ago this month) bought the Fallout series off Steam for like $5.00.

ratoa   

Been playing Oblivion on and off since 2007 and just like Fixxxer never finished the game with my Redguard chr

The game is great but not perfect everytime you go inside one of those Oblivion gates you better be ready with lot's of

hammers and potions and even with all that stuff the game is quite hard

MONOLITH   

Just out of curiosity, MONO, but did/do you play Fallout 3/New Vegas?

Oh yeah.

I lived in Fallout 3 for about 300 hours worth. Haven't done New Vegas yet, because it looked to me like they emphasized some of the things I didn't like about F3 and/or there were no improvements really. It appeared to me sort of like an unimpressive expansion.

But I did love F3. Even have one of those collectors lunch boxes and bobble head.

bobble.JPG

Honestly, while I do love Fallout 3, I do think I prefer Oblivion. The reasons why would take a whole 'nother post. Both games are an awesome experience though.

Fixxxer   

Definitely.

I love me some Elder Scrolls. Bethesda is just an amazing company for RPG's. I would love to see some coop implementation, but I won't get my hopes up. I know the rumours are ZeniMax making a FO MMO. So I may just have to wait for that. But running around a sandbox TES with a buddy or two would be pretty close to perfection.

The only thing I really cared for in Oblivion was the expansion pack, nothing like the Shivering Isles that was really the only fun I had in that game, But yeah i'll probaly get this when it goes down in price. New Vegas is slick I've had allot of fun playing it.

MONOLITH   

New leveling system.

http://kotaku.com/5728236/the-next-elder-scrolls-has-new-combat--levelling

Sounds interesting to me. :D

I like this...

" is an organic system of attribute growth based on use: the more you do something, the better you get at it." ; which, separately from a class system, is still what Oblivion had.... use your magic and your magic skill got better with practice, etc. That is a much more immersive way to go through an RPG than the F3 method of simply building up points and then assigning those points where ever you want. Using that concept, I could build up points using magic, but then assign those points to Sword skill when I level up.

I like this (The Oblivion way) much better; if you want to get better sword skills, fight a lot with a sword. You want better thief skills, practice sneaking alot, etc.

Glad to hear this, I was worried Bethesda would do away with the 'use it to gain it' system. :clapping:

Thanks Fixxxer.

Fixxxer   

I'm still not too keen on the mobs being leveled to you. Even though they're using Fallout 3's system rather than Oblivions. It's still an immersion kill for me. As is the fast travel system. But in Oblivion I got to the point where I would only use the fast travel from major towns. To make it feel more like the Silt Strider system from Morrowind.

However, even though I will have my gripes about the game, I know it'll be fantastic.

Nutlink   

Saw that earlier, that's hilarious. Make sure to check out his Avatar sex scene video too.

And I'm still waiting for more info about this game. Hurry up and give us more juicy tidbits dammit!

MONOLITH   

Skyrim will totally consume my gaming for a good six months. I might even get a PC rig by then, because the modding for that will be simply delicious.

Witzbold   

Agreed, its nice to hear too that the dungeons will be a bit more complex. Before was slightly too much cut and paste for my liking.

Very nice trailer though. Do hope they will release a more official gameplay one soon though. Didnt really consider that one to be gameplay, gameplay you know? lol

ratoa   

I'l better hurry up still haven't finished Oblivion yet and just got Fallout 3 game of the year edtition last week for 19 bucks at game stop

So many games so little time sighs

Witzbold   

I'l better hurry up still haven't finished Oblivion yet and just got Fallout 3 game of the year edtition last week for 19 bucks at game stop

So many games so little time sighs

Dont forget new vegas! :whistle:

MONOLITH   

I'l better hurry up ....... just got Fallout 3

Good luck.... I have over 300 hours in F3, and still have never been to 25% of the various map locations.

ratoa   

Good luck.... I have over 300 hours in F3, and still have never been to 25% of the various map locations.

I know,

Like I said above, been playing Oblivion on/off since 2007 and haven't done 40% of the side quest., I can finish the main quest right now but I just like to walk around and find me some side quests.

Witz you are right those dungeons all look the same and so are the Oblivion Gates the only reason to go in there is the goodies

Witzbold   

I know,

Like I said above, been playing Oblivion on/off since 2007 and haven't done 40% of the side quest., I can finish the main quest right now but I just like to walk around and find me some side quests.

Witz you are right those dungeons all look the same and so are the Oblivion Gates the only reason to go in there is the goodies

Im so bad in the original oblivion.

Im more amused with making all sorts of messed up potions from the various components you can harvest in the world rather than going through those Oblivion Gates and getting my ass handed to me by the crocodile people. :ph34r: lol I think Ive only closed one gate and have played the game for over 100+ hours

MONOLITH   

Im so bad in the original oblivion.

Im more amused with making all sorts of messed up potions from the various components you can harvest in the world rather than going through those Oblivion Gates and getting my ass handed to me by the crocodile people. :ph34r: lol I think Ive only closed one gate and have played the game for over 100+ hours

Same here exactly.

I never closed one gate. Never cared.

There is simply sooooo much to do and explore just "living there", the main quest is completely irrelevent.

And for me, that's where the real value in an open world game is.