Sign in to follow this  
MONOLITH

Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim.

Fixxxer   

Yeah I know where you're coming from. But honestly, the stock games are almost too overwhelming to me out of the box that I tend not to even touch the mods for TES games. It's just too much.

MONOLITH   

I have to say Dark Souls taught me something about Skyrim.

Turn the difficulty up.

Skyrim can become really easy, really fast. Without realizing it, it can make the game become boring. When giant frostbite spiders become meaningless, and dungeon crawling brings no fear or worry at all, and you stand toe to toe with a dragon without a concern, the game becomes dull.

Dark Souls frustrated the hell out of me at first, until it woke me up and made me realize that being forced to actually struggle to survive and attain game goals is exactly how a game should be.

If I'm sneaking through a cave with an enormous giant spider in it, I SHOULD be afraid that if I make a wrong move, I'm dead.

So take my advice. Crank up the difficulty. You will get mad at first, when you start dying from a sword fight with a Falmer and reloading a save game. But as you realize that you're starting to actually FEEL something, that the game is actually making you apprehensive about turning that next corner, that you actually need to learn to fight well instead of blindly mashing a button, you'll get a whole new appreciation for the game experience again.

Remember original Ghost Recon, when you really had to worry about that one shot one kill from the rebel you could't see yet?

Kirq   

Creation Kit & Hi-Res Pack!! :wub:

I'm glad I went into a little stall in Skyrim after ~20h, thanks to this I will finish much better game. I hope my rig will be enough to handle all new eye candy.

PS. ;)

Witzbold   

Damned good vid for part 1 of 10. Hats off to Bethesda for taking out the time and making these vids.

Also on the topic of stupid gaming related FUS RO DAH vids heres one from GTA IV

MONOLITH   

Two things I liked...

The Lycanthropy perk tree. Would make being a werewolf actually worthwhile. A Vampire one would be good too.

The giant crab at the end. Skyrim is a little light in creatures (Where's the minotaurs?) and some epic creatures like Dark Souls has, that would have added a lot to the exploring adventure.

Oh...3rd thing...the seasonal changes.

MONOLITH   

There's something disappointing me about Skyrim. Somehow it's just not as mysterious and immersive as Oblivion. I find the persistent wooden shack cities not as enjoyable as The Imperial City and other Oblivion locations. The sewers and underground locations are less creepy. I miss the Goblins and Vampires and skeletons of Oblivion. The Guilds seem less interesting and "alive", and the whole world just seems less "real and functioning" than Oblivion's did. I remember in Oblivion waiting for the shopkeepers to close and go to dinner at 8PM, then trying to dodge the guards while I picked the locks to their stores and robbed them.

Skyrim has all these things, but somehow it doesn't feel the same. Maybe it's just me right now. I'm not into it and it all feels predictable and "been there done that".

It's probably just me. I'm hoping to get back into it later on after I finish a few other games. But right now I've just lost interest and the thought of grinding away at the forge to level up my blacksmithing just seems tedious as hell.

Witzbold   

Mono you could go back to the overly colorful Kingdoms of Amalur. ;)

Its the other game Ive been enjoying collecting loot and being just a total badass with smashing the ###### out of enemies while looking at the new world to explore.

Fixxxer   

Mono you could go back to the overly colorful Kingdoms of Amalur. ;)

Its the other game Ive been enjoying collecting loot and being just a total badass with smashing the ###### out of enemies while looking at the new world to explore.

Is your shield still hidden when it's not being used? Do you still constantly sheath/unsheath your weapon mid battle if you stop swinging for two consecutive seconds?

The game world was nice and for the most part the combat is good. But regardless if it's nitpicking, those two things mentuoned above just killed all the good the combat had going for it to me. I know it's silly, I just dont find it immersive when I keep sheathing my sword just because I'm not swinging it or when my huge tower shield just disappears when I'm not in a block stance.