Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
V2_Bloodline

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

39 posts in this topic

Now this looks a lot more like the Xcom we all knew and loved.

Will be interesting to see how they designed the game to work on a console and keep all of the fine details / mechanics which made the original so awesome.

Wonder if the PS3 version will have K&M support since the PS3 supports that.

I doubt there will be an option to play it in "real-time" like in Apocalypse, but if there is and it plays like Frozen Synapse instead of the "pause-play-pause" type, then I would probably play that instead of the traditional turn-based gameplay. A Frozen Synapse X-COM would be so awesome! Just a personal preference... it's a great game nonetheless.

Developers need to seriously get off things like a cover system already. I mean really? A cover system makes it more tactical?

Sure doesnt look like he believes that the cover system makes it more tactical. Id like to see him actually have had more film time to explain how he thinks a cover system makes it tactical. Vs, just allowing the players to pick different stances on their own and decide for themselves on what they want to attempt to hide behind. I bet they think its making the game more "accessible".

Then again without all the extra animations of the characters interacting with the environments around them I can see it being not as interesting as the visual presentation of characters actively taking cover depending on their surroundings.

If there was one thing I wish was never invented in gaming history, besides the magical FPS life regen, its the "cover system".

/rant over

Anyways at least the game looks cool esp the fact that they kept the base mechanic of the game in play. Did dig the "glamcam" idea too, although wonder if it will get old after seeing it happen for the X number of times. Still though nice that they added in something different.

Wish them well with this project. At least it looks better for gaming than that FPS Xcom. Do hope the gameplay will be solid. As Id like to pick this up. For the time being am being cautiously optimistic.

Looks good. Firaxis did a pretty decent job with Civ4 and CivV. I've got faith! I must say that as Frozen synapse has so ably proven. the 'glam cam' and other 'bling' aren't really necessary.

-k

Building a new game on top of a well-loved, long-dormant franchise that's nearly 20 years old is a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you've got a built-in fan base with fond, nostalgic memories of the series. On the other hand, you want to attract a new generation of players that probably have little to no idea what your franchise is or what made it special. Change too much of that successful original formula, and you run the risk of upsetting those original fans. Don't change enough, and you run the risk of coming across as an outdated relic to the newer audience.

Sounds familiar doesn't it? Firaxis take on the problem unfortunately leave me cold. I don't recall X-com having such a high learning curve at all.

full article: http://arstechnica.c...-enemy-unknown/

An hour of gameplay. Skip the first several minutes to get to the gameplay.

Edited by V2_Bloodline

Det try it out for yourself, since Steam has a demo out apparently.

Just finished the demo. It wasn't good at all.

man that really is too bad. I was almost reconsidering the decision to not buy it after watching some new gameplay footage. Ill have to try out the demo also. The one thing that bothered me the most about the new game design mechanics is the whole cover system business. As if its too difficult for people to figure out for themselves what does / does not work as cover and change the stance of their player accordingly.

at least at the same time dishonored comes out so am crossing my fingers that one wont disappoint.

man that really is too bad. I was almost reconsidering the decision to not buy it after watching some new gameplay footage. Ill have to try out the demo also. The one thing that bothered me the most about the new game design mechanics is the whole cover system business. As if its too difficult for people to figure out for themselves what does / does not work as cover and change the stance of their player accordingly.

at least at the same time dishonored comes out so am crossing my fingers that one wont disappoint.

Are you picking up Dishonored for console or PC?

I was hoping for a PC demo just so I can give it a bit of a test run to see how it goes on the system. If not might consider getting it on the PS3. Though am tempted to just pre-order it on steam.

It looks like Bioshock - UE3, so I think it's safe to say, that it will run smooth on 4-5 years old rigs. I'm also considering this title.