Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bota:16

Rainbow 6 Patriots Team Shakeup

33 posts in this topic

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/07/ubisoft-montreal-decapitates-rainbow-6-patriots-development-team.aspx

When Ubisoft first pitched Rainbow 6 Patriots as a potential cover story, we were immediately drawn in by its unique approach to storytelling. Embracing some of the narrative techniques of Heavy Rain and shifting the player perspective between Team Rainbow, the True Patriots, and the civilians caught in the crossfire convinced us that this was a project worth backing. Now it seems Ubisoft could be going in another direction.

According to our sources, Ubisoft Montreal has restructured the development team, removing creative director David Sears, narrative director Richard Rouse III, lead designer Philippe Therien, and animation director Brent George from the project, all of whom we interviewed for our Rainbow 6 Patriots cover story.

Rainbow 6 Patriots is tentatively scheduled to release in 2013 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. How this shakeup affects the rest of the development remains to be seen. We have reached out to Ubisoft for a comment.

ohmy.gif

Sounds like another situation with a complete design change, like happened with Conviction mid way through.

When you replace the lead designer, it means the project's current direction was suddenly deemed non-viable.

Don't forget Ghost Recon Future Soldier too. While not a complete redesign as Conviction but it's quite a bit different than what was originally shown.

So, from tactical shooter to drama game? Ubisoft seems to be on a roll in terms of creating disaster games and then having to completely redesign them, resulting in a watered down product.

To be fair I thought Splinter Cell Conviction was pretty well done after the remake, though with the changes to the gameplay style vs. the engine caused things to happen like not being able to hide bodies and such anymore. But asides from that the product came out not too bad. Even if hardcore fans disagree. Though I really wanted to play Splinter Cell: Bum Fight, since the early gameplay vids did look like it would have been interesting.

Then we have GR:FS, this by far looks better than the overly sci-fi approach we had originally, though the gameplay did look cool from the early gameplay footage. Was nice to see them bring it a bit back closer to modern settings.

But I am totally confused as why they would go and knock everything off the table with this one?

Maybe Ubi should go blame idiocy rather than piracy for $$$ going down the toilet.

I came close to buying Conviction at $3, but it seems to have been less popular than the original titles, both by players and professional reviews. Though the final product does look decent at a low price. Perhaps I will get it during the next big sale.

But the fact remains, Ubisoft seems to come out with ideas that are really terrible, and they have to redo the game, and even then the sequels are a shadow of their formal selves in terms of popularity.

I'd said it before and I'll say it again, but I would not be surprised if Crysis 1 is more of a tactical shooter than GR:FS. Though I guess as an action shooter it might be fun. I bet if they removed the Ghost Recon title (or Rainbow 6) from the game I would receive it better, as well as many other fans of the original games. Odd how that works.

Edited by Flogger23m

Dont think thats possible considering Crysis 1 was pretty much a massive run and gun shooter. But having all those "super powers" from the uber spandex suit was awesome. Nothing beats throwing folks at things.

The only thing "tactical" about it is just the fact you had a big open area to screw around in. Rather than the usual funnel design of other modern shooters.

---

Conviction is quite well done for what it is personally. Purists may hate it, but the game controls well and doing melee takedowns are pretty easy. Then there is the mark and insta kill stuff. Its cool and all but feels a little out of place. At least its balanced by you cant perform it constantly and requires a melee kill before being able to do one. Number of marks is based on equipped weapon for some reason.

AI is pretty stupid though. You wouldnt believe how many guys I threw down from hanging on infront of a ladder and just waiting for them to appear.

Game has an 85 average on metacritic about the same as Conviction. I think a lot of the negative comments comes from folks freaking out that it took a step away from the original formula. But for a game that was totally remade on an engine not designed for how the previous titles played Id say it did a better job than expected. And this is coming from someone who isnt a hardcore fan of the series. As a game I enjoyed it.

Cant go wrong if it really was 3 bucks.

I came close to buying Conviction at $3, but it seems to have been less popular than the original titles, both by players and professional reviews. Though the final product does look decent at a low price. Perhaps I will get it during the next big sale.

IMO the only part of Conviction that's worth playing is the Deniable Ops Hunter mode (if you're not familiar with it: it's a non-story related mode on various maps where the objective is to take out the enemies stealthily - it's fine in both solo and coop), and maybe the Infiltration mode if you're a masochist. Unfortunately the DO maps don't have too much replayability, but I'd say for 3 bucks it's worth it.

Edited by Malleus

Dont think thats possible considering Crysis 1 was pretty much a massive run and gun shooter. But having all those "super powers" from the uber spandex suit was awesome.

Try going through without using your suit skills at all. You'd be surprised.

Dont think thats possible considering Crysis 1 was pretty much a massive run and gun shooter. But having all those "super powers" from the uber spandex suit was awesome. Nothing beats throwing folks at things.

As someone else said, try playing Crysis 1 without the suit powers on a harder difficulty mode. No, it is not a tactical shooter, but neither will the new GR/R6. Often times once you start shooting in areas the enemy units will rush that area making it harder to approach, and on the hardest mode even hard to kill them all. In which case you will have to find alternate routes and you'll have to pick your optimal weapon. Again, not a tactical shooter, but it had more depth than most games. And probably will be more so than the new GR/R6.

Is the story/campaign in Conviction co-op? And how long/many missions are there for co-op? I would mainly buy it for that mode.

Campaign has the following. (Taken from Gamefaqs)

Single Player Campaign

I. Merchant's Street Market

II. Kobin's Mansion

III. Price Airfield

IV. Diwaniya, Iraq

V. Washington Monument

VI. White Box Laboratories

VII. Lincoln Memorial

VIII. Third Echelon HQ

IX. Michigan Ave. Reservoir

X. Downtown District

XI. The White House

Hunter Mode

A1. St. Petersburg Banya

B1. Russian Embassy

C1. Yastreb Complex

D1. Mozdok Grounds

E1. Limber Mill

F1. Printing Press

G1. Third Echelon (new)

Co-Op Story

A2. St. Petersburg Banya

B2. Russian Embassy

C2. Yastreb Complex

D2. Mozdok Grounds

E2. Bonus Face-off

Heres an old article that talks about the game modes. Since there are a few others.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1076544p1.html

Info on what was contained in the Insurgency Pack Deniable Ops DLC.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704733/splinter-cell-conviction-deniable-ops-dlc-detailed-and-dated/

From my own experience with the game I will say that the SP portion is a bit short but it was a good ride and I enjoyed the story.

I think either Mono or Whisper here actually have the game too and enjoyed it for what it was. :thumbsup:

I think either Mono or Whisper here actually have the game too and enjoyed it for what it was. :thumbsup:

Yes. It was worth every penny of the full price. It's the same old story; a great standalone product is being bashed because "It doesn't feel like the series did 10 years ago."

Neither does your wife. Get over it.

It's a great game for many reasons. The SP and CO-OP Deniable Ops is re-playable forever.

I liked it a lot better that Double Agent which I never actually finished. Really should go back to it, since the title has been rated as quite good on its own accord. I think at the time it was the controls and mechanics that had turned me off for some reason.

"It doesn't feel like the series did 10 years ago." ~ Neither does your wife. Get over it.

My early candidate for forum post of the year thumbsup.gifclapping.gif

"It doesn't feel like the series did 10 years ago." Neither does your wife. Get over it.

Games are made so you can do things that you can not do in real life. That means your wife is supposed to be like on the first day. Ubi made her old and grumpy...

That's easy. She gets better and better every year. I'll take the today version over the one from 10 years ago. :thumbsup:

That's easy. She gets better and better every year. I'll take the today version over the one from 10 years ago. :thumbsup:

you opened this...... proof? :whistle:

your wife may get better and better, but seeing black foot studios is here supported by a community of players from other "better games" your analogy falls flat on its face... If the games aren't satisfying the fanbase that they had established then they're failing, when Raven Shield was more popular during the release of Vegas 1&2 online then you've failed. When you make a game into a series you're supposed to build up on their roots, not hack them to bits and build over the wood chips on the ground trying to satisfy a completely new group of fans and people of indifference.

Does a 1975 Corvette look like a 2012 Corvette? No, but it's still a Corvette.

Get over it guys. :wacko:

by a community of players from other "better games" your analogy falls flat on its face...

Hang on. Let me pull out my 10 year old copy of PC Gamer magazine. The one that has my name in it for modding Ghost Recon.

Checking...checking....checking....

YES! It's still true. I AM one of THOSE players!

Whose face does what?