jwp1223

The All New Let's Build Josh A Computer Thread

56 posts in this topic

So....Saturday morning as I was working on a video, my computer in all it's awesomeness, decided that it was going to tits up. I believe I fried the processor or mobo, I at first thought it was the PSU (which would of been an easy fix) got a new PSU, no juice whatsoever, so I have reduced it to that.....Processor or mobo...so I figured...what the hell, just rebuild. I will probably cannibalize some of the parts (HDD hopefully they're still good), and RAM* (again hopefully it is okay).

What I am looking for....AMD processor....yes I know about the i7's blah blah blah blah...I'm not interested. I am looking for good deals, (*ebay is okay in my books*), I will even scourge my local craigslist. (mainly for ram,hdd's etc)...So let's see what we can build Josh.

What's your budget?

What are the specs of your existing components that you will/want to reuse?

Why are you set on AMD over Intel?

Is this going to be a "gaming" PC?

What's your budget?

What are the specs of your existing components that you will/want to reuse?

Why are you set on AMD over Intel?

Is this going to be a "gaming" PC?

Budget right now is about $800-900 (give or take).

I work with primarily AMD. For me they have always ran cooler, it was more bang for my buck at least for me. For me, they just run better.

Specs on the HDDs are Seagate Barracuda's 7200 100 GB and 500 GB, and looking to maybe buy an SSD for booting. This will be a gaming PC. The ram is PC6400 2GB each, wouldn't mind upping that up to 8 GB (so would prefer a MOBO where expansion is good available). I don't think I will be using the same Graphics card, so ATI/AMD card again is preferred.

Not really familiar with AMD cpu's or mobo's. But I can't give my opinion on certain things.

I got a 128GB SSD (OCZ Vertex 3) for my OS and games. Best decision I made for a gaming PC. Use you mechanical drives to install non-critical software and store media.

ATI Radeon 6950 is a good card for the money.

RAM is cheap, get 8GB to match your new CPU/Mobo.

Get a quality power supply. Another item you don't want to go budget on. Corsair and SeaSonic make really good PSU's.

Here's the last build I did (Intel)

CPU: Intel 2500k ~$220

Mobo: AsRock Z68 ~$125

RAM: GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 ~$50

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 ~$170

PSU: Corsair 650W ~$90

GPU: XFX 6950 1GB ~$250

TOTAL: ~$900

thanks for supporting AMD, I bought stocks on them after my last Intel build...my next build...if ever, will be AMD based and going Radeon from now on.

still researching myself what my next frog-leap from Radeon HD 5850 1GB... I'm thinking 7Series now, but worried with my CPU limitation/bottleneck.

I'll keep an eye out jwp1223 :thumbsup:

Not really familiar with AMD cpu's or mobo's. But I can't give my opinion on certain things.

I got a 128GB SSD (OCZ Vertex 3) for my OS and games. Best decision I made for a gaming PC. Use you mechanical drives to install non-critical software and store media.

ATI Radeon 6950 is a good card for the money.

RAM is cheap, get 8GB to match your new CPU/Mobo.

Get a quality power supply. Another item you don't want to go budget on. Corsair and SeaSonic make really good PSU's.

Here's the last build I did (Intel)

CPU: Intel 2500k ~$220

Mobo: AsRock Z68 ~$125

RAM: GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 ~$50

PSU: Corsair 650W ~$90

TOTAL: ~$900

I see your CPU (4 core) and raise you a Hexacore

CPU: AMD FX-6100 ~$190

MOBO: ASUS M5A88-M ~$100

PSU: Corsair PSU~$90

RAM:Corsair RAM $55

Total: ~$855

I was thinking more along the lines of that, (but I am sure I can find stuff for a bit cheaper at Tigerdirect.

Benchmarks seem to show that 6950 2GB actually has some extra performance that is actually measure-able, and depending on where you buy might cost almost the same.

And god those parts are cheap compared to here... For the equivalent of 900$ in NIS there's no way I can build up a box with these specs even in the cheapest stores in Israel. You forgot a case, but for 45$ you can probably get a decent one.

Edited by galzohar

You forgot a case, but for 45$ you can probably get a decent one.

totally overlooked that.

the only thing I have to reemphasized about purchasing cases. unless you're into mini-cases for media streaming, don't deny yourself upgrade space when you get a case.

I was recently reassured that my Stacker 830 (despite its age) can still "swallow" the longest card currently out now, mainly due to its reversible motherboard tray.

this is an older pic with a 8800GT

98878526.4msU0zOt.jpg

with this motherboard in reverse ATX, no HD cage gets in the way of a long video card

here's with my current 5850 (taken w/ iPod Touch)

6925319858_c25af1283e.jpg

Stacker 830 Radeon 5850 by raygan_gamer, on Flickr

notice the space between the card and where the HD would be.

Good point on the case, I am definitely going to look for something that is a bit larger than my current one, but also one that didn't have the problems of dust like my old one does....I am sure there are filters I can find to keep the dust out as much as possible.

Cpl, don't skimp on your PSU. You paid enough for your other components so make sure you get a good quality PSU and a (good quality surge protector too)

What is your current PSU? If you have any doubt it will run the new card, don't install the new card til you get your new PSU.

I am super-impressed with Corsair PSUs - you won't regret it. I posted about it in some other thread here

(And I like APC surge protectors)

this is my current PSU, its the CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2

I keep leaning to theCORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V v2.31, but the few negative reviews doesn't give me confidence

CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91

seems more of a winner to me, but the price does shock me. The rebate is nice if I get it in time.

CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91

seems more of a winner to me, but the price does shock me. The rebate is nice if I get it in time.

wish JohnS would get his KickStarter going mf_mrt.gif ..... anyhoo, spent my birthday cash on this PSU... this could have been yours JohnS.... get this project going!

anyhoo, slapped the new card into the rig

dsc2389n.th.jpg

dsc2390c.th.jpg

dsc2391s.th.jpg

dsc2399t.th.jpg

dsc2400p.th.jpg

dsc2401m.th.jpg

dsc2402b.th.jpg

http://imageshack.us...2/dsc2389n.jpg/

wish some of you are closer so I can offer the other cards at BFS rate

sorry for hijacking your thread jwp... but if you would like to get my 8800GT or the Radeon 5850, maybe we can work something out

anyhoo...Corsair 850AX installed

unnecessary cables...gone!

dsc2411z.th.jpgdsc2412o.th.jpg

my only beef, is the SATA cables... since my PSU is coming from the top, the configuration of the SATA connection is backwards, hence, the weird look.

dsc2426.jpg

I thought about reversing the PLASTIC connection, but that seems like a bad idea

I do love how dark the mesh are

dsc2430a.jpg

dsc2424.jpg

I wish there is a 90degree extension so I can close my case properly....right now, there is tension between the cable and the case fan

dsc2439p.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I see your CPU (4 core) and raise you a Hexacore

CPU: AMD FX-6100 ~$190

MOBO: ASUS M5A88-M ~$100

PSU: Corsair PSU~$90----------->CORSAIR TX850 v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE $109.99 after mail-in rebate card

RAM:Corsair RAM $55

GPU: XFX 6950 1GB ~$250-------->Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 $149.99 after mail-in rebate card

Total: ~$855

I was thinking more along the lines of that, (but I am sure I can find stuff for a bit cheaper at Tigerdirect.

see the red addition jwp

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler for that AM3 (make sure you get the backplate)

$79.99 after mail-in rebate

I am looking....thanks Ray....

Gotta go shake my bun bun for more building money.

I've been out of the building loop for a while and could use some advice.

This is a non-gaming rig to replace my other aging rig wife use to shop around.

Mainly used for office and streaming movies

any advice please?

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750 Ti GV-N75TOC-2GI Video Card #:N82E16814125502 $149.99

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ FD6300WMHKBOX Item #:N82E16819113286 $109.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL Item #:N82E16820231310 $29.99

GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Item #:N82E16813128565 $59.99

OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Item #:9SIA6232HJ5115 $259.99

Total $609+

$260 for a harddrive? wacko.png Does it give you blow jobs?

it may contain such files.....

I'm thinking of getting a HD now for less than $100

Well, while I still haven't really thought of building a new rig in three years (Good lord this thing is old)...last night because I am mainly on a pc for either work or for social media now a days (and Netflix)...I bought me one of these bad boys...

Acer Chromebook 11

Google Chrome Operating System

Intel Celeron Processor N2840

11.6 HD Acer ComfyView LCD

2GB DDR3 Low Voltage Memory

eMMC16GB

This thing is actually very nice and a lot of fun to use. It's much more conventional for me, since I am pretty much done with gaming and graphic doodling...at least until Ground Branch comes out, but this is very fun to use. smile.pngAcer%2BCB3.png

brother Josh

Very little I know about Chrome notebooks.

I know it relies on Internet for 75-80% for most usage.

Storage is little to none.

Maybe its time to switch to free up desk space.

brother Josh

Very little I know about Chrome notebooks.

I know it relies on Internet for 75-80% for most usage.

Storage is little to none.

Maybe its time to switch to free up desk space.

Pretty much, it's what I am doing most of the time anyways...if I am on a computer, (other than work)...I am online...so I don't see why not just have a computer that is compatible...and I have plenty of external hdds for storage or I have my Google Drive or My Dropbox...I am not without space there brother man :)