DetCord

Ground Branch Modding - WIP's

210 posts in this topic

I thought I'd start a topic dedicated to future and potential mods for Ground Branch. This is basically a place for you to show the community what you are currently working on. This also includes updates and just pitching ideas around.

I'm still building the Gol-Kot terrain which is located in the Paktika Province of Afghanistan. I plan on adding a lot more geo-specific architecture and foliage, the mid valley and a trail system, and possibly the Zarach Cave that was heavily utilized by the Haqqani Network (we'll see how that works out unsure.png ).

GB_Afghan3.jpg

GB_Afghan2.jpg

Edited by DetCord

CCleaner? Haven't used that baby for a long time... saved my butt so many times.

On Topic, that would be awesome to take us to those places you've "visited."

I tried my hand at UDK as well, but with a lack of a modeller and a texture guy to add some stuff that I could actually use to put in a map my interested dropped significantly. All the items available to you come from 3 different sets and all of them are sci-fi Unreal Tournament 3 models and textures.

Then I decided to wait for the Red Orchestra 2 SDK, which turned out to run so abysmally poor that the thing locks up my computer every single time I enter the Content Browser. Hence I haven't played around with the editor much.

I'm eagerly waiting for the GB SDK though, so I can sink my teeth into that and add more longevity to the game.

Good job on getting started DetCord :)

What size will that map be? Looking at the rocks, it looks kind of small. Will it be a multiplayer map or do you plan to add stuff for AI later on too?

Oh, and do you have your own models to use? :)

Looks great. How many square meters?

The map keeps growing...

I tried my hand at UDK as well, but with a lack of a modeller and a texture guy to add some stuff that I could actually use to put in a map my interested dropped significantly. All the items available to you come from 3 different sets and all of them are sci-fi Unreal Tournament 3 models and textures.

Then I decided to wait for the Red Orchestra 2 SDK, which turned out to run so abysmally poor that the thing locks up my computer every single time I enter the Content Browser. Hence I haven't played around with the editor much.

I'm eagerly waiting for the GB SDK though, so I can sink my teeth into that and add more longevity to the game.

Good job on getting started DetCord smile.png

What size will that map be? Looking at the rocks, it looks kind of small. Will it be a multiplayer map or do you plan to add stuff for AI later on too?

Oh, and do you have your own models to use? smile.png

That is a huge problem right now as the assets available are very limited. However, I have reached out to a few buddies in hopes that they'll pass off some royality free SW Asia/Afghan meshes to me for the foliage (i.e. poppy and P2K geo-specific plants) and of course architecture features.

GB_Afghan6.jpg

GB_Afghan3-1.jpg

Mujahideen fighting positions (trench line) and mortar pit circa 1985.

GB_Afghan4.jpg

GB_Afghan5.jpg

Edited by DetCord

Looks like that will be an interesting map to play DetCord. That was one thing I always like in GR were the quality map mods that were available.

Something to be aware of is I do not know if Speedtrees made in UDK will work in GB or not. They have a special version for UDK that isn't the same file format as the retail version. Just keep that in mind.

Haven't seen many afgan terrains in UDK, I must say it looks great. Good luck getting hold of the foliage.

Anyway, I've been modeling characters for a while now, and I've made a number of sets for ArmA 2 as addons & VBS2. Only the hands, magazines, & head are from ArmA 2 / VBS2, so those can easily be replaced. Are there any restrictions that ground branch will have as far as polycounts for characters, or any guidelines? Given some of the WIP photos it seems like the T-pose is very similar to ArmA's so only minor adjustments would be needed to fit your skeleton.

Edited by fox09

Those new shots look really nice! I dig the rocks on the hill. Get's me excited to start on something as well, but I'm kind of unsure if I should start at the moment.

I might go away soon (traveling), and I don't know how easy it is going to be to transfer to GB and how much work might be lost.

It would be really, really awesome that if an early playable build of GB would come out at some point, we could have an early version of the SDK as well so the community can get cracking at some new maps as well.

Variety never hurts! :)

Something to be aware of is I do not know if Speedtrees made in UDK will work in GB or not. They have a special version for UDK that isn't the same file format as the retail version. Just keep that in mind.

I'm trackin' that. I'll likely continue updating here and there as (if) I receive some of the content I've asked for. If not, then I'll just wait for the GB assets. Certainly no big deal.

Am digging those update shots! Cant wait to see when you populate it with more man made objects / structures. coolspeak.gif

If... if is the key word.

Haven't seen many afgan terrains in UDK, I must say it looks great. Good luck getting hold of the foliage.

Anyway, I've been modeling characters for a while now, and I've made a number of sets for ArmA 2 as addons & VBS2. Only the hands, magazines, & head are from ArmA 2 / VBS2, so those can easily be replaced. Are there any restrictions that ground branch will have as far as polycounts for characters, or any guidelines? Given some of the WIP photos it seems like the T-pose is very similar to ArmA's so only minor adjustments would be needed to fit your skeleton.

Looking forward to seeing what you do in GB. Love your SF guys.

@ SiC

Doesn't hurt to start early. It helps to get a lot of the kinks out.

Edited by DetCord

Received almost a gigs worth of assets. Now I just have to wade through them.

Not really digging these pines though as the quality is pretty low.

IMG_0229.JPG

GB_Afghan_PineTest.jpg

Edited by DetCord

Are there any restrictions that ground branch will have as far as polycounts for characters, or any guidelines? Given some of the WIP photos it seems like the T-pose is very similar to ArmA's so only minor adjustments would be needed to fit your skeleton.

Pretty much standard restrictions for modern characters in game. Our are about 9k tris without and gear and can get up to about 14k fully kitted.

It would be really, really awesome that if an early playable build of GB would come out at some point, we could have an early version of the SDK as well so the community can get cracking at some new maps as well.

Variety never hurts! smile.png

That is planned, but not sure for when. I plan to keep compatibility with UDK until that time so hopefully people will be able to make an easy transition over to GB. but once that happens we will purposely break compatibility with UDK due to some licensee specific things.

Got some questions.

Will 3dsMax be required to make new maps, or will you be able to use default models and textures?

What will be moddable with just the SDK included in the game?

What kind of scripting will be used in missions, and will players be able to make new ones?

Foliage is HARD to do DetCord. Speedtree can be a real pain in the arse until you really get the hang of doing it. Getting things to look good AND be efficient is really difficult. We will have a lot of different foliage types available in the game and I plan on adding in a bunch that aren't used so modders can have a larger variety.

Will 3dsMax be required to make new maps, or will you be able to use default models and textures?

No. Anything that can export FBX file format will work just fine.

What will be moddable with just the SDK included in the game?

Just about anything really. Think along the lines of Unreal Tournament 3 for a baseline.

What kind of scripting will be used in missions, and will players be able to make new ones?

Unreal Engine uses a visual scripting language called Kismet. Check out UDK info on it. You will be able to make new missions, but as of now the missions are embedded into the maps. We are looking for a way to separate these things if possible.

Foliage is HARD to do DetCord. Speedtree can be a real pain in the arse until you really get the hang of doing it. Getting things to look good AND be efficient is really difficult. We will have a lot of different foliage types available in the game and I plan on adding in a bunch that aren't used so modders can have a larger variety.

Tell me about it.

But hey, I'm willing to learn so I intend on sticking it out.

Thanks for the information. What do you think the learning curve will be for modding?

Not an easy question to answer really. The tools will be there and you can look to the UDK community of a good indication of how things work.

Looking back I suspect it will be steeper than what it was back in GR days if you are starting from scratch. Simply put it's just so much more involved in making a model that holds up well nowadays, back then all you virtually had to do was make a simple mesh and slap a sidemapped texture on it.

Now in order to make a model hold up to scrutiny there's a fair bit more work needed on the model and lots more needed on the mapping and texturing.

Looking back I suspect it will be steeper than what it was back in GR days if you are starting from scratch. Simply put it's just so much more involved in making a model that holds up well nowadays, back then all you virtually had to do was make a simple mesh and slap a sidemapped texture on it.

Now in order to make a model hold up to scrutiny there's a fair bit more work needed on the model and lots more needed on the mapping and texturing.

Very true. When I have my map to a certain point, I'll be importing DTED imagery and painting the terrain features by hand. Minimal improvements here and there, followed by a release as is, wouldn't cut it by todays standards.

Psst... I'm still using your Magpul Masada's. support.gif

You could always use GB trees when the SDK hits, and use these pines for now if you are not satisfied with them.

Perhaps you could use them somewhere in the distance, off the map boundaries and playable territory? I'm not sure how much that would save in performance though.

Edited by SiC-Disaster

You could always use GB trees when the SDK hits, and use these pines for now if you are not satisfied with them.

Also depends how realistic you want the map to be. Assuming that most assets for GB will be based on Sumatra(?).

As of right now, I've spent the past four hours designing custom foliage for the map.

That said, I only have three distinct trees completed....