Stryk

Ideas on how to really sell the Kickstarter Campaign.

I would like to brainstorm some ideas on how the KS campaign could be most effective. Here are some of my ideas.

• Have a small amount of personal emotion in the sell. This is important but can be over done.Talking about how much the project means to you is great but showing too much emotion makes people feel uncomfortable.
  • Play up the independent angle. This might seem so obvious that you're an independent studio that you may never even mention it. Mention why you want to be independent and what that means to the project. Why can't this game be sold to a publisher? is a question people might ask.
  • Address why the project seemed to be or was static for a time.This is one of the most frequent criticisms that I see.

Are these points valid or am I wrong let me know. If you have any other ideas post them please!

Edited by Stryk

Valid points actually, and I like em. We were actually talking about this in the donators forums as well.

I like these points.

Of course you'd also have to find a way to "fight off" the common fear people have of realism, as many gamers today would tell you that realism is no fun etc etc. This is not going to be an easy one. Maybe some in-game footage specifically made for this purpose can help. Maybe also reminding people that some actually enjoy paintball and airsoft, and I don't think many soldiers who actually took part in some kind of combat would call it "boring" by any means.

And of course why this game isn't the next COD nor the next Arma, as obviously many would try to make the simple and pointless comparison.

Another good point to bring up would be mod support.

Nothing says long replayability like dozens of mods and extra maps.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to talk a bit about how you plan to do randomisation in the game to further keep replayability high.

I think players would more easily give some dosh if they know that the product will last.

I also like the points mentioned above btw.

It would be a good idea to play up the independant thing indeed. Talk a bit about the journey so far, how you tried to find publishers but it didnt work out, how you decided to stay firm in your beliefs and go the fully independant way no matter how long it might take, to see the project through because you firmly believe that you can revive tactical gaming with GB (as do we :) ).

Pointing out the reasons why there hasnt been a lot of media to show over the years is a very good idea as well, because what I gather from some people is that they feel as if GB had become vapourware and that you are simply picking up the project again and that little progress has made.

Make sure to talk about the progress made! A bit longer video with a commentary might be a good idea to showcase some of the features in more detail and to show what has been done, or at least what already works.

Talking about why development is taking so long is something that has been looked at. John has made it no secret that he has to pay the bills for both home and work and needs income from some source to enable him to do just that, hence the projects with the US Army at JFKSWCS at Ft. Bragg and his work with TripWire and RO2. I am sure that such will be worked into a Kickstarter video though to as to what extent, I cannot say.

This game will not be for the masses selling it should not be much of a problem the game will sell itself.

You only have to read the GB page re Features that is a massive selling point.

Also the connections from this site to others especially the team based community out there is still there not so strong as in the past but that will change.

A lot of us know why the game is taking so long and the causes the world at large does not need to know the in and outs of why. I`m sure if asked John in an interview would give a short simple answer.

This will be a tricky one indeed. Takedown had the ability to ride off the fact that no tactical shooter (save for ArmA 3 and Iron Front, essentially ArmA 2 WWII) was going to be released anytime in the near future. Though with Takedown's kickstarter being so recent, that aspect can prove problematic.

You will have to in detail explain what the game is about, what will happen, your goals, your experience, and make the page look very clean, detailed, and provide plenty of information.

I think following Takedown's and Wasteland 2's example of $15 = you get the final game is a good way to go.

I think the biggest selling factor for GB over Takedown and similar Kickstarters is that GB is a lot closer to being done than the others.

Yeah, Takedown has to get started while GB has been in development for a good while now. Showing progress should be testiment to that.

This!

In my opinion Your strongest selling point for KS campaign is fact that You already did majority of the work. The funds gained from KS will allow you to finish the project, not start it. Also try to give realistic and possibly the nearest release date for the game, it will make ppl think that they are pre-ordering the game for a good price, not giving You the money hoping that they will play this game somewhere in distant future (Takedown).

Being a veteran fan from the Takedown KS campaign (having spent a lot of time spreading the word), I would say that you need the following for a successful KS campaign pitch.

- You need a cool KS intro video, not just a purely informational one

- You need a comprehensive FAQ, where potential Pledgers can find the precise info they are looking for to convince them to pledge. Its a make or break situation. If they cant find the information or they information is not to their liking, they wont Pledge

- You need cool concept art to convey the feel of the game. A picture says more than a thousand words

- And optimally, you need gameplay footage to further convey what the game is about

- For the various parts above, you need some cool genre music

GB, being so far in development as it is, has a good chance to deliver all of the above, IMO.

However, there are a few things that can be learned from the Takedown KS campaign.

Its important not to start spreading the word until all the material is ready and the KS campaign page is operational.

People have limited attention spans, and if you post a message in a forum promoting the KS campaign and all your material is not ready yet, two things will happend: 1) the trolls will go crazy, generating a lot of negative karma and calling the campaign a fraud, and 2) the thread will be forgotten very quickly and descend out of people's views. There has to be something interesting for people to discuss, to keep the thread alive.

Also, watch out for being too personal and enthusiastic when posting the pitch to a forum. People will react negatively to that, calling you a spammer and you will get banned from the forum. We had that happen a lot in the Takedown campaign, as we all felt very enthusiastic about the project. Keep it relatively neutral when you are pitching the news and end by saying something like "I think it looks very interesting".

However, when writing to editorial staff, the situation is different. I have had the best responses in the cases where I provide a lot of background info, but also write why I think the project is interesting. I can imagine that they are getting a lot of "new KS game" related mails these days.

Also, dont be put off by trolls. So many people have nothing better to do than talk rubbish about stuff they have not even bothered looking into. Unfortunately, thats an integral part of the Internet.

thumbsup.gif

Also, dont be put off by trolls. So many people have nothing better to do than talk rubbish about stuff they have not even bothered looking into. Unfortunately, thats an integral part of the Internet.

That was never an integral part of this community. Our community is so strong and lasting, that all the trolls will not change the mood.

Didnt want to make the gap too big or else we might have an internal riot. stirthepot.gif

Then again most of us here are from the 2007-2008 stock anyways so dont really think it matters much lol

Getting your message around on some big time websites will be a great way to booost up.

Things like justin.tv and twitch.tv give a good way to get a mass amount of viewers

or the allmighty

pcgamer

joystiq

kotaku

Getting your message around on some big time websites will be a great way to booost up.

Things like justin.tv and twitch.tv give a good way to get a mass amount of viewers

or the allmighty

pcgamer

joystiq

kotaku

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with Kotaku... I posted about 4 times, dropping hints about this game, and they are getting posted .... any tips?

This game will not be for the masses selling it should not be much of a problem the game will sell itself.

You only have to read the GB page re Features that is a massive selling point.

Also the connections from this site to others especially the team based community out there is still there not so strong as in the past but that will change.

A lot of us know why the game is taking so long and the causes the world at large does not need to know the in and outs of why. I`m sure if asked John in an interview would give a short simple answer.

This is where I disagree. On the game not being for the masses that is.

I was the typical console and fast paced FPS action guy/kid back in the day. It wasn't until I purchased OGR on a whim that I really got into the genre, which eventually lead to OFP, the H&D series, ArmA, etcetera. Point being, if its marketed right and the word of mouth is good, then the game will sell and sell well. I'm living proof that people will cross that genre barrier and try new things.

Edit: No idea about Kotaku, Led. I try and stay away from there.

Edited by DetCord