• Announcements

• Aldous

Forum Upgrade Completed   02/22/2017

We have upgraded our forum and some background software to a new build. This will, among other things, add a few new features as well as implement a few bugs. Please let us know if you find anything unusual.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Witzbold

Black Ops 2: Pewpewpew!

24 posts in this topic

Looks like its going to the future. Fantastic...

*Deleted the previous footage and just stuck the in game engine only vid in. Nobody wants to hear the dev PR BS anyways.

Oh christ... I was not even paying attention. Thats what I get for having multiple BFS forum tabs open and use the wrong one...

Will leave a note for someone to help me un###### this mess again.

At this rate Ill be owing the mods a case of beer lol drunk.gif

Not impressed...I can only guess at the budget they have for a COD game, but it looks like a 10 year old game. The amount of blur/bloom used to hide the low res stuff is atrocious.

meh-cat.jpg?1318868919

Not impressed...I can only guess at the budget they have for a COD game, but it looks like a 10 year old game. The amount of blur/bloom used to hide the low res stuff is atrocious.

Yup, it was my initial thought, it looks really bad.

OMG, why is this called black ops II? I would call it call of duty: W teh F.

Edited by Nouty

The Strikeforce mode looks really good, especially if it is co-op. With that a COD game is more Ghost Recon than GRFS lol. Now that is funny.

Introducing, the least anticipated game ever, the latest installment in the bland FPS franchise... Call of Duty: Black War Ops 6 - World at Modern War Elite Edition

Featuring the same enraging multiplayer that made you quit playing these games four years ago. Suffer at the hands of foul-mouthed teenagers, homophobic tweens, and the guys who are so high, they have to tell you that they are so high.

Reprising his role as the most annoying douchebag in online gaming, fear the cheap tactics of xXxNoScopez420xXx

And coming soon, over-priced map packs that you know you'll buy, justifying these business practices.

Spot on Det biggrin.png

Thought as much, matey.

I honestly don't know how they get away with this ###### every few years.

Although the setting is atleast somewhat more original because it's Treyarch, it will still be the same boring gameplay over again because that seems to be what their good at. Copy and pasting.

Actually to be fair they are saying that the campaign will be non-linear so will be interesting to see how that plays out. Though I really hope that this time they offer co-op through the campaign as they did with World at War. Since that was a pretty enjoyable experience personally. Even if the game was a bit of a dick with how many grenades the AI threw at higher difficulty.

2 quotes from the dev in regards to zombie mode + SP follow below.

"According to Lamia, "If you like zombies, you’re going to be really happy with what we’re doing with Black Ops 2. It’s our biggest, most-ambitious zombies ever."

As far as the single player campaign, Lamia promised that the developer has “done a lot of research into making this plausible near future scenario really resonate with the players.” If that weren't enough, Black Ops 2 won't have a linear campaign. He revealed the game will feature “branching story lines, new non-linear gameplay elements that we’ve been designing into the campaign.”

Ubisoft said Rainbow Six Vegas 1+2 were non-linear too... that just meant that there were two doors that lead to the same room... shhhh.gif

I don't think Treyarch or More importantly Activision are going to allow them to to do much of anything different from their past titles.

Actually Im sure they might, seeing that there is no real risk with screwing with the SP campaign since most "fans" buy the game for the MP portions anyways. Bigger plus too that the zombie mode is in the Treyarch versions of the series.

If they pull off something interesting with the SP campaign bigger plus on their behalf for sales. If it doesnt do as well, no biggie since once again most people play MP anyways and the game will sell in the at least 1 million range just on the brand name alone.

Ubisoft said Rainbow Six Vegas 1+2 were non-linear too... that just meant that there were two doors that lead to the same room... shhhh.gif

I don't think Treyarch or More importantly Activision are going to allow them to to do much of anything different from their past titles.

Exactly, a non-linear game is more than just the route you take.

I lost all faith in Treyarch when they took the fantastic potential encapsulated within the Black Ops (1) theme and setting-- and turned it into a retextured mashup of WaW and MW2. ugh.

Personally I think CoD1 and MW1 are amazing games. Interesting and consequential gameplay, grim (if heroic) narrative, and a VERY responsive game engine. If Call of Duty MW1 had one major fault it would be the lack of 'rythm' in its multiplayer component. The constant barrage of respawns, tiny (but largely well designed) maps, and non-bullet proof walls turns the franchise into a death-wank that never really reaches any climax.

In comparison look at other action-tactical team games like Counter-Strike, Action Quake2, or even Ghost Recon1. The fact that death meant something in these titles had major effect on the audience and created a drive to actually work as a team/develop tactics. While such game modes are present in MW1; the default respawn game-mode sets the theme for the community. (Interestingly this is a flaw of Bad company1-2 also)

CoD at its best offered decent gunplay, intuitive controls, extremely responsive engine, and an entertaining narrative. At its worst it gave us Treyarch.

-k

Interesting article in regards to Black Ops II. Dont have anything to say about it myself, but its a good read and worth taking a look at.

Article is titled the following to give you an idea what its about before hand.

"Could Black Ops II's Setting Land Activision In Legal Trouble?"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/05/07/infinity-ward-activision-black-ops-ii.aspx

if this game has seizure inducing molecule in it, I'LL PASS!!!

I tried to finish the last BO, and I literally had to get out of the room or turn off the monitor off during flashbacks.

Got this game for Christmas. Could not bring myself to buy it, but I did want to play it. I hate and like it at the same time - don't luv though. I really enjoy the mw campaigns, as short as they are. This is kind of all over the place. I do like the 80-90s mission settings, but the rest is a bit like graw only way worse. Too future for me. Some cool guns, and it more or less plays the same as what infinity ward designed in 2008. No laser guns, but still, all the drones kills it for me. I did not like the real time strategy missions at all...however, there is a strange ogr potential there in that you can jump into a soldier or turret or robot and take control of it like old red storm games. If I had to rate the game objectively I couldn't give it less than an 8, because of the high production values, visuals, and game modes. But subjectively, for me, it's about a 6.5. kind of surprised no one here played it, but then again, I really didn't have much interest in it given the setting.

On a whim I broke my own rule, never buy a Treyarch game, and purchased Black Ops 2 during a flash steam sale. I have put a few hours into the game. To say the very least, I have only reinforced my own rule.

The strategic missions were the new feature toted in this call of duty. A series of optional missions which supposedly offered non-linearity to the game. Like much of their new features, this is but an illusion. The tactical missions suffer from poor and unfocused gameplay. At its very core the game revolves into a constant stream of friendlies and baddies spawning in a semi-open environment. The way to win is to personally take control of a unit, then beat at the enemy until no more arrive. Attempting to use the tactical interface is a fools errand. Not only is the friendly AI nearly useless, but the interface elements themselves are unintuitive and poorly planned.

Speaking of poorly laid out, the storyline is bad. Just BAD. Not even in an ironic sense could it be viewed favourably. The same tired old Americah roo-raah attitude through the treyarch template 'oh everything is not what it seems-- they are all out to betray you'. Meaning the story goes from one immersion breaking scene to another. Christ. The chief bad guy repeatedly demonstrating practically omniscient foreknowledge of the protagonists movement, you might almost think he wrote the script. Jumps in time, and between the different characters, do very little to immerse the player in the story (and setting), instead feeling like someone wanted to emulate Modern Warfare 1, without understanding the rythm of good storytelling.

Which leaves the overall mission design. Whereas Modern Warfare 1 was a series of wows and felt authentic, Black ops 2 forgoes all that in favour of crowbaring in as many set pieces as possible into each mission. Climbing scenes, vehicle sections, weapon-targeting, gun-turrets, only missing out on the gunship scene. Neither set piece drive the story in any particularly fashion and no order of introduction appears to have been planned. That is not all however. Treyarch have managed the impossible. They have taken relatively open areas and turned them into narrow corridors, narrower still than ANY earlier version of CoD. Adding insult to injury, deviating from the beaten path results in instant death from a variety of sources. Hellsbells, there are even platforming sections, where jumps must be timed to the second-- again deviation is death.

Black Ops 2 is a frustrating experience to say the least. Particularly given the promise of the new setting. Again Treyarch have done it. Black Ops 1, a spy-thriller set to the 60-70s, was a fantastic idea with a ton of potential. BO2 with its futuristic setting-- Drones, cloaking devices, ultra-tech climbing gear, wingsuits, and super computers are all the right pieces to make for fantastically interesting experience, yet throws it all out the window on a weak storyline and unfocused gameplay. With the boys behind the original Call of Duty franchise out of the picture, see Titanfall, and Treyarch at the helm, we are approaching the end of an era. For better or worse, Call of Duty is going down.

Ken