• Announcements

• Aldous

Forum Upgrade Completed   02/22/2017

We have upgraded our forum and some background software to a new build. This will, among other things, add a few new features as well as implement a few bugs. Please let us know if you find anything unusual.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fixxxer

The Elder Scrolls Online

29 posts in this topic

Seeing how Bioware and their star wars MMO is kinda dying, dont see how Bethesda expects to do any better.

Seeing how Bioware and their star wars MMO is kinda dying, dont see how Bethesda expects to do any better.

That was my first and only MMO. I'm not really into the whole WoW, Tera, fantacy genre, sci-fi is my thing and SW:ToR certainly provided that. It was well executed for a MMO, the visuals were excellent (for a MMO), and you can't really beat Bioware where it concerns story and plot. I was really drawn in, big time. That said, I capped at around level 43, logged off one day and never returned. I even joined a guild... ugh.

It's certainly dying a slow death.

The problem with MMO's is that they rarely innovate.

Its kinda bad if something as big as Star Wars can fall apart and when you got a dev house like Bioware behind it.

My guess is it will eventually go the F2P route like many other MMOs of recent times. Only one that has really been surviving all this time would be WoW.

At least SW:ToR looks a lot better than the mess that was SW:G dear god that game was broken.

Do hope that they have some sort of strong plan as to what their selling point with the game will be.

I suppose this one will be a pay per month game isn't? Thank God they will still release SP Elder Scrolls.

In no way am I in a position to comment on this, but considering how rough TES games are at release and generally well after, I'm afraid to see what an MMO would look like in terms of gameplay issues and such.

They make great games, but if they crash all the time it makes it hard to keep people playing a game that requires you to move at everyone else's pace.

Not to mention the balance issues, that will actually matter when you make the game multiplayer. Well, to me they matter in single player, but for many single player is a good enough excuse to forget about balance issues which is the main reason TES games sell despite of imbalance.

If the game is primarily PvE then balance doesn't mean too much.

I really just wanted a TES game with the ability to play with a few friends. An MMO does little to excite me.

The problem with SW:TOR is that the game is SP game with multiplayer features to make you pay for it monthly, that's what I gather from friends... I'm going to play it soon to see it FOR myself since I'm a fan of the first two.

Dont worry, there will be plenty of HORSE ARMOR to cover that loss, so should be right as rain! stirringthepot.gif

Still think sales wise just making an ES game that had actual co-op in it would do a lot better financially than an MMO which isnt exactly a safe bet these days.

Still think sales wise just making an ES game that had actual co-op in it would do a lot better financially than an MMO which isnt exactly a safe bet these days.

My thoughts exactly.

For an MMO it looks really good. It's just the whole MMO model that I don't care for. The amount of time required to achieve the end-game content is usually way more than I have at my disposal. I much prefer a game where I can progress at my leisure and I would still love to see Bethesda bring me a coop version for their Elder Scrolls series. I doubt it will happen, but one can only dream.

For an MMO it looks really good. It's just the whole MMO model that I don't care for. The amount of time required to achieve the end-game content is usually way more than I have at my disposal. I much prefer a game where I can progress at my leisure and I would still love to see Bethesda bring me a coop version for their Elder Scrolls series. I doubt it will happen, but one can only dream.

Have you tried the Skyrim MP Mod yet?

Have you tried the Skyrim MP Mod yet?

I haven't played Skyrim. Oblivion left a bad taste in my mouth and without an coop mode I haven't really been too enthused to purchase Skyrim. Sadly, games just aren't what they used to be anymore to me. I find myself going back and playing older games instead of the newer games. Every now and then a new games comes along and surprises me, but it seems to be rare these days.

I haven't played Skyrim. Oblivion left a bad taste in my mouth and without an coop mode I haven't really been too enthused to purchase Skyrim. Sadly, games just aren't what they used to be anymore to me. I find myself going back and playing older games instead of the newer games. Every now and then a new games comes along and surprises me, but it seems to be rare these days.

I absolutely hated Oblivion mate but I love Skyrim. If I were you, I'd take a chance on it.

Skryim with mods is AMAZING. The vanilla game is alright, but once you find a set of mods that you like, it's a whole different animal. Turning off the compass, making caves and nights darker, and upping the difficulty makes the game much, much more interesting.

As for TESO, I still think it's terrible. All I want is future versions of Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/ whatever to have at least 2 player coop, preferably 4. 4 players, each with at least 1 companion, making 8 man teams, would make for a MUCH more fun game than any MMO.

With the ability to create weapons that do 123198759387 damage, there is no way to make the game challenging, really. I tried playing with restrictions "can't use X/Y/Z/etc" to the point where the game was hardly any fun because I wasn't allowed to use almost anything in the game, and still in order to get a challenge I'd have to basically force myself to play stupid, which makes it even less fun. They simply neglect the balance completely because it's a single player game and the majority of their fanbase isn't even playing it for the challenge but rather for the sake of exploring the world and the story, and on the aspect of exploration and story they actually did a decent job. The gameplay, though, sucks, at least from the perspective of a gamer like myself. Not really because of the core game mechanics, but how they are imbalanced.

Seriously, Skyrim would be the perfect game to make a full conversion balance mod to change it to have better and more challenging gameplay experience. However, it is either too difficult or the fanbase doesn't care enough about it to make such a mod. The only "balance" mods I could find only change a very small aspect of the game balance which simply doesn't cut it in order to make the gameplay more challenging. In fact, most of those "balance" mods actually make the game easier, as far as I can tell.

Edited by galzohar

I absolutely hated Oblivion mate but I love Skyrim. If I were you, I'd take a chance on it.

Well it wasn't so much the game but rather how much they strayed from what made Morrowind (IMO) so good. They implemented too much to make it easier, which of course you can choose not to use, such as the compass, fast travel, etc. but they also changed how "epic" it felt. The whole enemies who level to you totally detracted from the entire point of what makes an RPG an RPG. Getting off the prison ship and running up to Dagoth Ur (the mountain, not the NPC, I know there were many steps in between that needed to be accomplished for that) would not have felt quite so amazing wearing rags.

The same went for the loot the NPC's dropped. I was pretty active on the Morrowind forums and it was sacreligious to kill Divayth Fyr, but until Bloodmoon, his death was the only way to complete a Daedric armor set. In Oblivion it just got to the point where picking up items, Daedric or otherwise, was of no importance. I had way too much money and nothing to spend it on. And don't even get me started on levelled quest rewards. What a stupid idea that was. Complete this quest now and receive an item that will become completely useless or, instead of completing any quests, go hit the "max item level" level and then start collecting quest rewards.

If Skyrim is even remotely like that; where I have to pretend things don't exist so my immersion is not killed, then the game may as well not. And as grateful as I am for mods, generally the good ones take forever to get released and I feel cheated paying premium price to have those who make nothing for their efforts turn the game into something the best of the best developers should have done in the first place when charging $60 for the game. I suppose I've also just hit that point in my life where I am willing to pay for a good product and would rather pay more than have to spend hours turning the product I purchased into something I want.

All I want is future versions of Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/ whatever to have at least 2 player coop, preferably 4. 4 players, each with at least 1 companion, making 8 man teams, would make for a MUCH more fun game than any MMO.

This.

Skyrim has some of that (leveling issues, but in reverse, making things TOO easy), and some lame quests, but using a few mods fixes those things. In Oblivion it was ridiculous to see bandits with daedric or glass weaponry. You won't run into that in Skyrim. You can cheese your way into great weaponry by using the new Smithing perks, but those can be avoided. Once you level up a lot, you'll find more and more high end weaponry in chests, but rarely on NPCs. This, of course, can be changed with mods as well to make Daedric stuff really rare.

Long story short, mods are really the only way to go with Skyrim. It may take some time to find the ones you like, but once you do, it's a great game.

That and if you use steam the whole steamworks platform is fantastic for finding things fast.

Absolutely! The Steam Skyrim Workshop makes installing and uninstalling mods as simple as a click. The way Bethsoft and Steam implemented this aspect is one of the best things to come out of Steam in a long time.

Also, its worth checking out the Lord of the Rings total conversion. I myself am eagerly awaiting the Fall of Rome total conversion that is being worked on.