Jsonedecker

Digital Distribution

Digital Distribution  

266 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about digital distribution?

• Yes - Want it via Steam
    • Yes - Want it via other Digital Provider
    • No - Don't want it, retail box all the way

I'm old fashioned.

I like seeing the cool looking box on the shelf. I like the printed manual.

But if it will help BFS, I'll download.

I'd pay a premium for a good game in a box, with a paper manual. I'm a fan of the concept of Steam, though.

D2D has apparently improved of late, too.

DRM that is not too invasive is a key to certain aspects. Ease of use, another critical.

I'm materialistic, give me a box to hold and feel like I got something for my money. :yes:

You know, John, a pitch at Valve for distribution may be a good thing. Not for a publisher, but for retail. They so clearly have the goods for both brick and mortar and digital.

Also, since you're not going to directly compete with their brands, Gabe and crew over there may be more than willing to talk about options.

Just a thought, but it's one that this consumer likes.

You know, John, a pitch at Valve for distribution may be a good thing. Not for a publisher, but for retail. They so clearly have the goods for both brick and mortar and digital.

Also, since you're not going to directly compete with their brands, Gabe and crew over there may be more than willing to talk about options.

Just a thought, but it's one that this consumer likes.

:whistle:

:rofl:

They are getting much bigger now that the big publishers are taking notice and slowly adding thier titles. Let's hope they still like the little guy.

I like the security of having a CD, and in the long run it's less hassle. One publisher of wargames that I am aware of (Matrixgames.com . . .intended as an example btw, not a shameless plug since I have no vested interest in them other than liking wargames) provides content by both download and Box/CD (CDs are shipped and getting a CD is $10 dollars more than the download alone). However, for the same price as the CD you can also choose to download first then receive a Box/CD by mail which, I think, is the best of both worlds.

I really like having a retail box and CD/DVD in hand, but I'd be willing to go the download route. As long as I could burn the game to DVD and install it as many times as I like, I'd be cool with using my bandwith to downloading a gigantic file. :yes:

How do people feel about digital distribution?

Without a box that has a DVD and manual in it your project from my point of view will be mute. You won't get my money........

Having said that if the cost is increased to cover such packaging then I'm happy to shell out the $$$ so on that note I think you now understand how I feel. :thumbsup: The few extra $$$ spent on a game with a box or case is nothing compared to what I spend on hardware for PC.

If you don't want the hassle of distributing your product in a box world wide then on release I'm happy to wait and fill in an order form with your company and have it shipped. This to me is not an issue because I have had many items shipped to me from the US and they have been very quick with service and a great tracking.

Edited by }SkOrPn--7

D2D was a phenomenal purchase when I *welp* bought vegas. It maxed out my dl speed and got it very quickly. I tend to lose/destroy cd/dvds so being able to dl and reinstall at will has a distinct advantage. Even if you decide against it as a main distribution method ...please think about having it as an option. Little overhead, quick money, ton of convenience for the customer who is looking for it. :thumbsup:

inevitably this is going to be the main source for game titles someday. We can fight it as long as we want (old farts) but YOUR 8 Track days are coming to an end. You can show your grand kids you stack of old moldy CDs and PC game boxes. They will be amused. :P

Edited by Xeno

...same analogy with my keyboard and mouse: if it was wireless it would have been misplaced already....same goes for my monitor. :pokerface:

ilovebfswm5.th.jpg

Kewl looking box..kewl looking manual...it would look nice on one of my shelves :pokerface:

So I would go DVD in a DVD case inside a game box. :thumbsup:

I have to say that if I get a choice I go with the box 99 times out of a 100, nothing beats that feeling of bringing home a brand new game in a flashy box from the shop.

Although that could have something to do with the fact that the last 5 games I clearly can remember buying is ArmA, GRAW, LOMAC, GR + expansions and Diablo2 :blink:

Only games installed at the moment are ArmA, VBS1 and Diablo2.

If I don't have a choice though and the game interests me enough I'll go down the D2D route without question!

I am also a fan of great box art, but i can see the benefits of a digital distribution.

As long as i do not have to install programs to download/start the game, i say go for it and maybe offer a DVD box with a paper manual for a additional 10 bucks.

Another thing that comes to mind, is payment options. Is Paypal secure enough for a transaction like this? the reason why i ask because there are people around without a creditcard, like myself.

ESD is much cheaper for the manufacturers to keep game cost down as there are no shipping fees to be concerned with, as well as printing fees etc etc. Also it allows for GLOBAL release on the same day. The negative impacts are server bottlenecks & users network capabilities. Id hate to download 2GB on 512KB only to find a CRC failure or other.

Its a mixxed bowl of issues to have to deal with !!

All I want to add is if Physical shipping please dont use STARFORCE CD PROTECTION. :angry:

Edited by Nemesis

I don't see how you can get around digital distribution in this day and age. Something like Steam enables the game to be made availible to everyone with a very modest effort. However, it's hardly a guarantee for big sales figures.

Me, I'm an old-fashioned kinda guy. I want a box with a disc inside. Me being me, I'll probably scratch it up real quick if I don't accidentally step on it and break it (it has happened, and more than once).

Respectfully

krise madsen

I think there should be an option for "Any Digital Provider" - because I don't care if it's Steam or another means.. but I picked Steam :P

I think there should be an option for "Any Digital Provider" - because I don't care if it's Steam or another means.. but I picked Steam :P

Ummmmmm, there is..... #2