BS PALADIN

Some Assets I Have Been Working On

It's for a mod for Takedown but hopefully we can port it to GB when it is released. Anyway here are three ( untextured ) assets I have been working on. Might have to redo them in 3DS Max as they are a bit high on tris using Sketchup. The models are a G36, Ak74 and a Mosque with interior. All critical feedback is very much welcome.

auv8ua.jpg

t0gcwi.jpg

dxh0g7.jpg

330z2a8.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that it's not a good idea to import entire buildings like that into the game. Not sure if this is just a mockup(good idea) or something you wanted to use as is, but you will need to break it up into parts to work.

It's just the way game engines are designed to work. Bear in mind the engine has to deal with the rendering, the collision, physics, hit detection, and all that does not work so smooth if you have a single huge object. Also, some engines, like Unreal Engine 3, for instance, occlude unseen assets. So, imagine you stood in a point of your map where only the minaret could be seen. The engine would not have to render the whole mosque, just the minaret.

BTW: Nice job getting that done in Sketchup. Didnt know it had that kind of potential.

Edited by BTH

Sketchup has tons of potential. Like any free software it's the community additions that make it truly great. It just has a different style to things like Maya and 3ds Max.

Oh SketchUp is great, I use it all the time to mock up projects for around the house. It's simple and fast!

But for game modeling, i find it a pain cause it's not directly supported. Exporting straight to UDK, doesn't work so well, maybe it's just me but I always had problem with normals, textures and scale. Using 3dsmax as middle man helps, for some reason it doesn't import problems like UDK. But it's also extra steps which i find time comsuming. I highly recommand you try importing a small building into UDK first to get used to the workflow and the problems.

And like john said, you need to break up that mosque into modular pieces. It pays in the end. Read this: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Three/ModularLevelDesign/ModularLevelDesign.pdf

Edited by MurDoc

Maybe Ground Branch will get the Mod first, What is TD schedules?

What other Assets are there?

Various bridges, furniture, towers, forts, washing machine, buildings.

No offence to GB but I can't see a full GB being out before Takedown. Takedown is scheduled for Autumn 2013 I think.

www.sketchucation is a BRILLIANT community resource for Sketchup. I have 7 Pro & use it for rendering models into 2D/3D Rendering apps. I have used it with the HKPUNSR plugin for exporting .ASE meshes for UE2.5 but dont know how well it works with UDK.

@ BS - yep...build the meshes as parts, collision & physics etc all have individual properties plus as mentyioned you dont want to render the whole object when only a portion is required..you`l soon run out of memory.

Instancing is the way forward thumbsup.gif

....but I think youve done great modelling the mosque..."gonna need some mighty purty texturing" :)

Takedown is using UE3. So therefore anything modded for that game can ( hopefully ) easily be modded for Ground Branch with little extra work and vice versa.

Huh...interesting.....

Can some answer this question. I know it is better to have one draw call than many. But how much of a hit is it performance wise to call a multi-sub material instead of a single material?

A multi-sub material will have a draw call per material. The game engine treats them as seperate materials, so a new material in the editor means a new drawcall. Also, UE3 doesn't batch static meshes into single draw calls either. So if you had 10 copies of the same exact mesh lined up then it would be 10 draw calls. That mesh will be instanced in memory so it only "costs" one mesh in memory though. Foliage is batched so that renders a lot faster even though its still static mesh based.

The dralcall topic can get kind of complex because there are a lot of things to take into account. smile.png

G36C ( Completely redone )- Textured but unbaked. Sitting currently at 8700k

x6a53q.jpg

Type 81 Assault Rifle - Untextured and unbaked. Sitting currently at 8000k Tris

kz535.jpg

Nice start. Looks like you have some issues with thickness and profile there though. A G3 reciever is more or less just 2 cylinders stacked ontop of eachother. Here's a front view of a build in process to give you an idea of the profile.

trunionweld11.jpg