V2_Bloodline

Killcams

24 posts in this topic

I'm quite surprised killcams doesn't have its own topic but there sure has been a lot of discussions here and there about it. Best I can find is in this thread.

Anyway, in my opinion, I believe killcams CAN help improve my game IF it is used in a non-respawn gametype AND it is shown no earlier than when the round has ended.

What is your opinion / thoughts? Let's hear them!

What is the main point of having a KC.

Learning from my mistakes. Educational purposes. Essentially a brief AAR, casualty assessment... a short replay.

Of course, I'm only speaking for myself here.

Edited by V2_Bloodline

Not so much a kill cam, but a recording of any said mission.

One Team member has video maybe 3 cams per unit, for gathering Intel and double as a debrief for future insertions and tactics.

For that type of idea I would be fine.

No plans for any type of killcam, traditional or otherwise.

You die, you die.

Recording demos is a different matter.

When the time comes, it'll get attention :)

No plans for any type of killcam, traditional or otherwise.

You die, you die.

God I love BFS. Doing everything right since the very start.

The problem with killcams immediately on death is that you see from where you got shot. You can't do much with that information but if you're on Teamspeak with others you could relay that information. But as we all know the dead don't speak.

Having a little replay from your killers perspective when the round has already finished wouldn't be so bad though, that might actually be quite nice. Kind of like the reverse of Crysis 3 where you get a replay of your personal best moments. But if that doesn't get in the game that's fine with me too.

(on a sidenote, that is what is really cool about ACRE for ArmA 2. The mod ties into your teamspeak and knows when you get killed or when you are unconscious, and in these states your character can't speak anymore. It basically allows people to be shot mid-sentence. Someone is talking but before they finish you hear a hit and all is silent lol. There was a video of it but I can't find it anymore)

Personally I have always loved the black screen in Red Orchestra. When you got shot you just got a black screen untill you respawned so you didn't get a single chance to try and spot your opponent. You spawn back into the game as blind as you were when you first got there. Nothing quite cheapens the experience in RO2 when a server has turned on the killcam, even though it 'only' points in your general direction and people can't really see you when you are far away unless you fire again or move. The problem is people will respawn and abuse this new information that they didn't get while they are actually still 'alive'.

Unless it is shown at the moment the round is finished it is just prone to abuse.

yes when i play a game with a kill cam on that is when i don't go to my best positions because i'm afraid i give away my spots to other players.

Kill cam is useless and frustrating it is only usable in arcade shooters but for all the other FPS games it is crap.

Edited by Count DracuIa

The way that every game that has the killcam feature screws up its implementation and consequently encourages for its abuse just makes it nigh impossible to view killcams for their potential. So much so that now, whenever someone even mentions 'killcam', everybody is hardwired to think that killcams must be shown immediately after the player is killed in a respawn gametype... just because every game on the market does it that way (which in my opinion is not the proper way).

I guess when a potentially good thing has been done the wrong way enough times, we will lose sight of its potential because we're numbed by the all the harm that it has done. So we say "Why bother doing it at all", let alone doing it the right way.

That said, sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures, so I certainly wouldn't mind if GB is KC-free.

Good players don't need killcams, I know most of the time where the kill shots came from cause I cover all my angles, it all comes down to he drew faster or I wasn't ready.

Instead of killcam, how about some minigames to pass the time? Pong? or jigsaw puzzle of your killer's pov?

Good players don't need killcams, I know most of the time where the kill shots came from cause I cover all my angles, it all comes down to he drew faster or I wasn't ready.

Instead of killcam, how about some minigames to pass the time? Pong? or jigsaw puzzle of your killer's pov?

I agree, good players don't need killcams. But great/competitive players might find killcams really helpful.

I can't remember where but it has been suggested that dead players could be spawned into a separate area of the map for a deathmatch or something to pass the time. I really like the idea as well because it gives us something to do while waiting for the round to end. Although I did mention I like killcams AT THE END of the round, rather than to pass the time? So we can have both time-killers and killcams no problem.

I agree, good players don't need killcams. But great/competitive players might find killcams really helpful.

I can't remember where but it has been suggested that dead players could be spawned into a separate area of the map for a deathmatch or something to pass the time. I really like the idea as well because it gives us something to do while waiting for the round to end. Although I did mention I like killcams AT THE END of the round, rather than to pass the time? So we can have both time-killers and killcams no problem.

I like your idea of deathmatch after death. I'd rather have that with any kind of spectating. I don't know about killcams, though.

I like your idea of deathmatch after death. I'd rather have that with any kind of spectating. I don't know about killcams, though.

Don't give me the credit - it's not my idea. Actually, I don't know whose idea it was but I guess now it belongs to our community, although I'm afraid some other game company will surely steal it soon and claim it to be theirs before BFS could implement it into GB.

Die in non-respawn game, end up in secondary part of map to play deathmatch style of game until the round ends. I know its been suggested before, but I kinda like it.

The deathmatch after death is a great idea. I'd put it in all my no-respawn Arma missions if I had the time and patience to script all of it.

Death shouldn't be fun afterwards,

I prefer people had nothing to do other than wait it out until round ends. when your dead you shouldn't be doing anything fun as a reward for death. i think it will make people careless.

Edited by Count DracuIa

I prefer people had nothing to do other than wait it out until round ends. when your dead you shouldn't be doing anything fun as a reward for death. i think it will make people careless.

Good point. Obviously server admins should be able to choose whether or not they want that enabled.

Making something like playing a basic deathmatch after dying optional is fine.

Other things, not so much.

Last you want is to make a major feature optional and completely divide the community.

Agreed. And a possible side effect is that dead players during the deathmatch period value their own live and operate solo (because it's everyone for himself), and after this they need to switch to a teambased modus operandi/mindset once the round is over and regular play continues. This can hamper the continuety of the team gameplay and can become a bit messy in regards to what to expect. Personally I would prefer optional team-only first person spectatorship to learn from your teammates playing style who actually survive the rounds. Much like R6: Raven Shield.

as long as its 1st person view i'm fine with it i don't want dead guys to be able to look around corners that the players them self cannot.

as long as its 1st person view i'm fine with it i don't want dead guys to be able to look around corners that the players them self cannot.

I agree, we shouldn't be a help to our team once we're dead.