Tinker

Feb 2013 UDK Beta

11 posts in this topic

Cheers Tinker I thought this was interesting.

"New Substance Engine Integration for Smart Texturing

Starting with the February UDK, developers now have direct access to Substance, a leading toolset used for the rapid authoring of high-quality materials and dynamic textures. Substance can improve workflow by substantially reducing the iteration time for texture creation, and at the same time shrink download sizes."

Now all they need to add to the "UE" is Parallax Mapping, That Would = True To Life Graphics :) And yes I know how "Sexy" a game looks doesn't matter to some people but it matters to other people.

I can just see it now, "Groundbranch" with Parallax Mapping added to every texture and I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between that and real life.

I Hope the devs that developed the "UE" will include this feature someday.

Edited by Jonathan

Yea I was surprised Epic released another UDK build, I thought they were done with it after the announcement of UE4. Nice that they did it on Valentine's day, epic way to show love to their geeky devs. smile.png

Ummm, UE already does that mate. Just that it's called "bump offset" in the UE language.

Hey SnowFella or someone else that knows about this...1 question but correct me if I am wrong but how come things still look like they are flat in the GB Videos? I don't see no "Bump Mapping" it still looks like things are still painted onto a flat surface why is this if the UE has this capability? This bugs me or does it only use "Bump Mapping" on some objects and not all?

Edited by Jonathan

I just installed it. I chose the installation where you have no extra content, only your stuff. It took about 15 minutes to load my map the first time, but performs much, much better than the 2012-07 build I used before. Were the original UT and showcase assets slowing down UDK? Or is this new build just faster?

On the other hand, the UDK pawn sucks compared to the UT pawn... and I miss the physics gun for testing.

Hey SnowFella or someone else that knows about this...1 question but correct me if I am wrong but how come things still look like they are flat in the GB Videos? I don't see no "Bump Mapping" it still looks like things are still painted onto a flat surface why is this if the UE has this capability? This bugs me or does it only use "Bump Mapping" on some objects and not all?

I presume they will use bump mapping on most objects where it would make a reasonable improvement, however as far as i'm aware the way parallax mapping works means that when you look at the flat surface from a small angle, the computer must do a lot of iterations to make the surface look 3d, which is very expensive and so must be used minimally to not hit performance..

Anyone who knows better feel free to correct that if its wrong though!

We 'Normal Map' every surface, but don't over exaggerate it like most games do. A lot of games will have really pronounced normals and heavy peculiarity so things look plastic and well, bumpy. But stuff just doesn't look like that really. That being said.... we are using fairly basic materials at this point. The quality and complexity of them will increase and that will add a lot of subtle but important nuances to the look of the materials and how they interact with each other.

The 3 basic methods of adding "surface texture" to in game surfaces in UE3 using DX9 are (in order of least complex to most) Normal Mapping, Bump Offset and Parallax Mapping. Normal maps simply simulate the normal direction of a given pixel on a surface. This allows light to bounce off of it based on that pixel and not the actual geometry surface normal itself. Bump Offset adds pseudo displacement component that gives it more depth and actual height changes. The downside to these approaches is they do not take edges into account. So when you look at an angle or down the length of a plane, the effect flattens out and quickly breaks down. Parallax mapping will actually add depth and attempt to simulate negative space that the others cannot. This means the corner of a stone wall will show some of the gaps and roundness of the stones and not a right angle. It also has a parallax effect (hence the name) to give a more tangible depth to things that adjusts and holds up to any viewing angle.

Parallax mapping is pretty expensive, especially if used all over the place. Its nice to use it in some places though.

Hope my non-scientific and non-technical explanation helps. :)

Fits in with previous posts... I just found found inverting the green channel in the normal map is needed for UDK. unsure.png

Fits in with previous posts... I just found found inverting the green channel in the normal map is needed for UDK. unsure.png

Depends on where the map is made. Max does it automatically, there is a setting in xNormal (set to -y) so set it once and forget and something like NDO does require manually flipping it. Not sure about other stuff.