Teppe

A question to the devs

Teppe   

I guess this should be the right forum to post in.

Just wondering, did you (developers) start by creating the menus, launcher, etc. or the gameplay itself (running around, shooting et cetera)?

MurDoc   

You should start with player model, animations and player controls. After you figure that out, other things seem easier but time consuming.

Teppe   

Ah ok, but just wondering, what do you start with in game programming developement after this (^) is done? Menus and launchers or the gameplay?

Also, when you say player controls do you then mean keybindings?

/t

Edited by Teppe

MurDoc   

By player controls I mean keybinds and functions behind them(basic gameplay). Making a custom character is good mixture of everything(modeling, texturing, animation, programming, sound fx, etc...). It takes a long time to learn but in return you get all around skill set to tackle any other addition gameplay.

I would leave menus to last cause you test everything in editor and console commands, unless a menu is part of the gameplay then u would add it as needed.

Teppe   

Instead of starting a new thread, I could just as good continue here.

I have a few questions,

1. If you're using programs like CryEngine 3 or UDK, do you then need to code into the engine (if you're developing a game) foot placement, and stuff like this? If yes, how (if anyone can tell short)?

2. When you code in 1 or 3 person view in a engine/game, how do you then do?

3. When GB is using UDK, is that then there engine, or do they have to create their own engine if you get me?

I'm just wondering about all the programming stuff.

/t

Edited by Teppe

Kris   

1. Those engines both have foot placement code of some kind built in. I'm not sure how to use CryEngine's, but I do know that the one in UDK is a fiddly. There is no quick how-to for it.

2. The true first person view is handled by the game code (UScript).

3. GB uses the UE3 engine, which is what powers the Unreal development kit.

Teppe   

Thanks once again, sorry for all my questions man. I know they are very noobish, but these should be the last for now:

1. I have looked a bit on programs such as "Visual studio" and C# and C++, not to say LUA. What programs are you at GB using? Can you describe in few lines what they are used for basically?

2. Trying to figure out about action script 2, what is this used for?

3. In game dev, how does the team leader excactly tell the programmer what to do? I know they are using a game document. But does the leader say "you're doing that and that, bla bla" or is he alot more detailed? How detailed should he be?

4. I have also been trying to find excamples of a basic "What to program" document if you get me. Looking after a document where it shows how a team leader tells a programmer what to do? Anyone that have one like that laying maybe?

Once again, sorry for all these stupid questions man.

Edited by Teppe

Kris   

1. I use Notepad++ with some custom shortcuts for the majority of my coding work. VS only comes in with the odd native requirement or engine update. Use what ever you feel comfortable with.

Aside from that, Skype :P

2. AS2 can be used for UI related functions via Scaleform, though I'd suggest AS3 would be the better choice.

3. John doesn't 'tell me' to do anything. We pick a rough goal, figure out the requirement and discuss who is handling what. After that, we just get to it. Skype and wiki, our design doc, helps. Ideas in your head are hard to share :)

4. A plan/design doc gives you a direction on what to program, what assets to create etc.

As far as those kinds of things are concerned, google is your friend.

I'd suggest looking for Chris Taylor's design document template/example... something like that.

Should be a decent start.

Teppe   

Thanks man! :)

I'm a little unsure about 3 though, might be my bad english hehe.. So what you and John do, is basically to pick a goal like "Character customisation", he gives you the details, and then you go on? I doubt i'm right, but I would like to know.

Thanks once again.

Kris   

Not quite.

A lot of the details and requirements are already in the wiki.

We go over them more, expanding if be, then get on with it.

Teppe   

Ah ok.

Last but not least, how much knowlegde of programming and coding does a team leader need to have?

Sorry for my noob questions, but I'm in doubt about:

When you say wiki do you then mean your game design document, or wikipedia?

2. Will it be possible to ex. make missions in UDK3 or CE3 with LUA? Do you guys create new scripts to use for your missions?

3. Collision ex. how is this done? In programming.

4. This might seem as the most stupid question of all of them, but I really don't seem to get it. What is rendering basically? And how is UDK's or CE3's rendering?

I know you guys are helping me alot, thanks for that. I will stop my questions after these.wink.png

Thanks smile.png

Edited by Teppe

MurDoc   

This isn't the right place to talk indie development, head over to http://www.indiedb.com It's one of the largest indie community, so you'll get alot of answers on all sorts of tools and engines.

Try to keep your questions on here about modding GB and UE3.