Dutchguy

When there is no life after death?

When there is no life after death.

what will there be?

with that im reffering to the death screen, after you die, will you be put in to spectator mode? will you not be able to see anything? what can I check?

I haven't found a thread talking about these small things which can make a big difference.

Spectator mode

Can I spectated my own team?

Can I spectate the enemy team?

Do I go in to a freecam?

Do I get options for Night Vision for dark areas?

No Spectator mode

download a replay from the match later?

What can I check

Can I see where I got hit?

Can I see my killers position when he killed me?

Can I see my team's or my enemy's Gear?

Can I see the routes walked by friendly's or enemy's?

Can I check the scoreboard/ kills?

Can I check the health of the players still playing?

read, answer, discuss happy.png

Edited by Dutchguy

Killcams is one topic discussing what we could be doing once killed. Nothing has been set in stone by the devs as of yet though I seem to recall a mention of watching the others back when the game was first talked about years ago.

Killcams is one topic discussing what we could be doing once killed. Nothing has been set in stone by the devs as of yet though I seem to recall a mention of watching the others back when the game was first talked about years ago.

yeah Ive seen the Killcams topic, but I thought lets create a thread in which people can discus the "afterlife" in general, because I would love to see where I got hit wink.png

Hi, well don`t forget what you would like to be able to do.

Myself I would like to see how my guys are doing, no comms.

So far ideas that were discussed (from memory, no time to find links at the moment):

- Various forms of spectating

- Black screen

- Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch in a separate zone while you wait

- See what killed you immediately

- See what killed you when you play the replay after the round or during your own free time

I have to say I like the deathmatch idea. Not very educational, but doesn't hurt the overall gameplay and definitely helps the fun. As long as the game

mode itself is more fun than the deathmatch so people don't actually want to die smile.png

And, of course, any form of replays would be totally awesome.

Edited by galzohar

Hi, well don`t forget what you would like to be able to do.

its probably one of the reasons I started the topic, because im quite unsure about what I want sweating.gif

I would love to be able to see as much as possible (so pretty much everything on the list), but on the otherhand I would like to only be able to see whats going on with my own team (to counter abuse).

so for me its probably either everything or only info about my own team.

Another advantage of deathmatch-after-death occurs to me: my biggest problem trying to play realistic tacshooters is that it's really hard to get used to the controls so I'm often shot just (EDIT: under time pressure, while trying to keep track of the ingame logistics, notwithstanding that I might intellectually be able to recall which key is bound to what and why) trying to figure out how to lean around a corner, change weapons or get from point A to point B. No-stakes DM is the best way to get that kind of repetitive learning.

The sooner you're killed ingame, the sooner you're in that environment, so it's its own feedback system too!

Edited by Vaecrius

I know a couple of guys here that will love this.

So we just need to convert this to a GB lover theme, sorted.

Spectator mode

Can I spectated my own team?

Can I spectate the enemy team?

Do I go in to a freecam?

Do I get options for Night Vision for dark areas?

These are all relatively easy to implement and best left up to the discretion of the community and its server admins.

No Spectator mode

Download a replay from the match later?

This is a tad more difficult, since it requires the server to do a lot more work.

What can I check

Can I see where I got hit?

Nothing like this planned.

Can I see my killers position when he killed me?

No.

Can I see my team's or my enemy's Gear?

Listed, no.

Visually, yes, if spectating is enabled.

It will encourage discussion, trading and general community like activities
tongue.png

Can I see the routes walked by friendly's or enemy's?

Not planned.

Can I check the scoreboard/ kills?

Scoreboard, yes.

K/D ratios, no.

Other info, nothing concrete yet.

Can I check the health of the players still playing?

On-screen, no.

Via animations, sounds effects, leaking fluids etc, yes.

When there is no life after death.

what will there be?

with that im reffering to the death screen, after you die, will you be put in to spectator mode?

So long as its not this I`ll be happy...

bsod.png

...just teasing :thumbsup:

For example on AA3 Steam version there is Steam web browser what shows scoreboard.

But you can used it like normal web browser and type web address to the bar eg youtube website link and watch videos when you waiting new match and think at the same time why I died so early.

Personally I do not like it. I miss old ingame scoreboad system because it didn't broken ingame chat but that this is way how it's working today.

Why not give us some reading material? Even if it is just open source stuff taken from the internet, why not give us the option to read up on the history or real-world special operations around the world, what went right, what went wrong, etc? Read up on real world units, weapon and vehicle statistics, photo galleries, etc.

Obviously we are already interested in this sort of thing to some degree, else we wouldn't have bought the game in the first place and be playing it. When we die, why not have the opportunity to read about the real-world people and situations that are actually doing what we're simulating? It would keep us "in the game" - as far as mindset and thought process, fit with the theme and material, not give any side an advantage through cams or maps, etc, and help the audience be better educated and informed people.

Plus, assuming you don't buy the rights to full novels or anything, I would assume having factual blurbs, wiki excerpts, quotes, weapon stats, etc would be fairly cheap to implement and less time consuming than other options suggested. Just a thought. It would also occupy our time without feeling like a "reward".

Edited by Wolfman

In the same category, we could have some real-world basic infantry tactics at the fireteam and squad level. Examples could include :

- How to stack a 4-man fireteam and then clear a room

- A basic reminder of what each caliber can or cannot penetrate

- Tips for setting up a good defensive position, such as choosing a small hole in a wall instead of a window or the top of a building, and making sure to stay far enough from the aperture so the flash (when firing) isn't easily visible

- Hugging walls is a bad idea because of ricochetting bullets, so keeping a foot or so may be advised

I'm sure there are plenty of basic examples I forgot, so maybe taking a look at one of the readily-available, Infantry-oriented U.S. Army Field Manuals could fill some gaps. biggrin.png

Or maybe tips on how to grow Kris' tactical beard ! biggrin.png

Edited by Ground Branch lover

Or maybe tips on how to grow Kris' tactical beard ! biggrin.png

Eat kevlar and shed manly tears.

Why not give us some reading material? Even if it is just open source stuff taken from the internet, why not give us the option to read up on the history or real-world special operations around the world, what went right, what went wrong, etc? Read up on real world units, weapon and vehicle statistics, photo galleries, etc.

Obviously we are already interested in this sort of thing to some degree, else we wouldn't have bought the game in the first place and be playing it. When we die, why not have the opportunity to read about the real-world people and situations that are actually doing what we're simulating? It would keep us "in the game" - as far as mindset and thought process, fit with the theme and material, not give any side an advantage through cams or maps, etc, and help the audience be better educated and informed people.

Plus, assuming you don't buy the rights to full novels or anything, I would assume having factual blurbs, wiki excerpts, quotes, weapon stats, etc would be fairly cheap to implement and less time consuming than other options suggested. Just a thought. It would also occupy our time without feeling like a "reward".

I like this. I would love to have some extensive library with real world info etc which you can browse either after you died or just from the main menu. I guess it is still a lot of work though. Would be nice if it's updated as well during the years if for example new info about recent missions turns up. Kind of like a special operations hub which you can browse and with new items if/when they are updated.

You know those death screens that have quotes from famous people or something? I think it might work if we kind of replace those quotes with concise, practical tips on how to perform a maneuver properly thus avoiding common tactical mistakes that may or may not have been the cause of that particular death. So even if we may not discover the reason immediately after our death and have to wait for the AAR, there's a mini-lesson that is presented to the player. We can have an extremely long list of these because players will die many, many times and before the player reads the same text twice, he would've read like [however many that the game has] so the more the better.

We can even include philosophical sayings that the special forces operators live by, which there are many also.

It's a not-so-subtle way of educating players but it might help develop the player's tactical decision-making skills somewhat (even if it's only a little), encourage more teamwork and communication, as well as other relevant values (remember: the player just got killed) like never giving up, patience, acceptance, perseverance, humor & humility, grit, etc.

How about some poetry?

Your blood is red,

royal blood blue.

your chest is leaking.

damnit, it got on my shoe.

Ken

Good idea.

"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them."

-Laurence Binyon, "For the Fallen"

Always will I take another step.

If that is of no avail I will take another,and yet another.

In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.

I will persist until I succeed

-Og Mandino, "The Greatest Salesman in the World"

"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go

Always a little further: it may be

Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow,

Across that angry or that glimmering sea,

White on a throne or guarded in a cave

There lives a prophet who can understand

Why men were born: but surely we are brave,

Who take the Golden Road to Samarkand."

-James Elroy Flecker, "The Golden Road to Samarkand"

How about some poetry?

Your blood is red,

royal blood blue.

your chest is leaking.

damnit, it got on my shoe.

Ken

Have you ever played the Tenchu games? They had a poem that appeared when you died. Each game had it different, and it even varied with which character you used. It wasn't much, but it was a neat little touch to a traditional YOU DIED screen.

Many lives these two blades have taken

As many as they have protected

My blood covered lips speak no words

As I stare into the blades' reflection

Blackness covers all I see and all I touch

No feeling of pain just sorrow

My hand loses grip of the sword I held

And I turn to become a true shadow

Like all days the sun has set

With darkness all around me

Just one difference I see tonight

The sun will not rise in the morning

It fit great within the context of the game and the characters and is always remembered by those who played the game.