Juicy87

How will Ground Branch reach the audience it deserves?

27 posts in this topic

Hi,

All of you have never seen me around here before, but I have been following Ground Branch for a while now.

I am was a die-hard America's Army player, was addicted to the original R6, fell in love with Flashpoint and have been playing my way through some of the more tactic games since.

I have been reading pages of interesting discussions on this forums, reading the updates regularly, and took every opportunity to tell friends about this very, very interesting game.

I just wanted to give my two cents, so here goes.

My question is if Ground Branch is going to make use of the new 'Early Access' section Steam implemented in it's client? Or if there's any plan in the pipeline to get people talking about this game? Because here's what troubles me: 99% of all people on this forums are going to try this game when it's first available, that's just what we tactical players do. We 'stick to the plan'. But the majority of gamers nowadays have no heart when it comes down to loyalty, especially in the games business.

They move on, not looking back. And that could very well result in a very, very low numbers of players online when this game first hits the market.

I genuinely think there is a market for Ground Branch, I really do. I would do anything to make this game work, heck, I would even set up a whole marketing communications plan if needed. But I just feel like people need to see an end point, a light at the end of the tunnel, before they get enthusiastic. Even I was in doubt whether to post on this forum or not, noticing that most posts are from early 2012.

I really feel Ground Branch could work out. Perhaps with a early access on Steam, some money would be flowing and game progression could be sped up some. But at the moment, we haven't seen even a firefight yet, which is something that people need to see before spending their money.

I'm not trying to give the developers or anyone a hard time about this. From what I've read on the forums and on the website, the devs are a bunch of straight up guys, who are pouring their hearts and souls in to this game. I was just so excited when I saw the kickstarter video on Youtube (months after the kickstarter ended.), only to see that hard work and true dedication are not being rewarded (until now). And I'm talking about the developers perspective here. I can wait, and will wait just as long as needed before I can start playing this 'soon to be awesome' game.

Like I said before, if I can help out in any way, I will.

Thanks for reading this long post, written in poor English,

Keep the community strong,

Juicy.

PS: The fact that you use the same forum as America's Army's Battletracker, makes things even more nostalgic :wub:

The thing is, the lead guy around here is giving alot for this game, asking for more is almost selfish (no offense) I think we should just spread the word that this game isn't roadkill (in a non trolling way)and keep spirits up. When the grand poobah is ready, there will be a game released, just don't leave him alone; he deserves the satisfaction that he has a grip on a niche.

Thanks for your thoughts. We do plan to reach out to press, partner sights and the general internet once we have something significant that people can see, hear and play. The reason we haven't done so just yet is the very reason you pointed out.....People tend to move around and lose interest quickly if they are not continually engaged. That is why we don't hype things much at this point. People will think its cool and pay attention for a bit, then move on when it takes longer to come out than they want. ;)

I´m sorry but i cant agree with you Jsonedecker, one thing you can be certain, the longer it takes for Ground Branch to show its colors less and less people will follow the project, if you guys have a playable Alpha you should let people see it, we will expect bad things from an Alpha because thats it, an Alpha.

You have at least one project that started that way and its still growing, MECHWARRIOR ONLINE, is still an ongoing project being played by fans since it was an Alpha, and it got 5 million US$ in the first 2 month.

Its buggy it still lacks graphics, but the gameplay is there, and that alone keeps it going and getting more support.

Pls dont tell me that a freeking game were robots shoot lasers at each other is more likely to prevale than your awesome FPS view.

oh and another thing, why in hell do people still play Americas Army? is it because its free or because of the tactical and team work.

it is outdated,no new weapons nothing new and cople of maps and thats it.

Provide us with lets say a cople of weeks with a new weapon, every 3 months a new map, and you will see everyone ralling to cheer you guys up.

Edited by Draco

I´m sorry but i cant agree with you Jsonedecker, one thing you can be certain, the longer it takes for Ground Branch to show its colors less and less people will follow the project.....

Not true. You show what you have and aren't able to continually update and people lose interest. You have to be able to keep people engaged. Happens all the time.

....if you guys have a playable Alpha you should let people see it, we will expect bad things from an Alpha because thats it, an Alpha.

True. But you have to have a playable Alpha to do that. ;)

You have at least one project that started that way and its still growing, MECHWARRIOR ONLINE, is still an ongoing project being played by fans since it was an Alpha, and it got 5 million US$ in the first 2 month.

Its buggy it still lacks graphics, but the gameplay is there, and that alone keeps it going and getting more support.

Once we get to that point then we will follow a similar path.

Pls dont tell me that a freeking game were robots shoot lasers at each other is more likely to prevale than your awesome FPS view.

Subject matter is irrelevant. Different people like different things.

oh and another thing, why in hell do people still play Americas Army? is it because its free or because of the tactical and team work.

At this point most likely because its free and those that play it probably don't care for the other military shooters out there for whatever reason.

Gest for replying so quickly you deserve a kiss happy.png, i´m not going to give it to you, so see who is available near you.

Anyways, you are saying that as soon as you have an ALPHA with playable features you will reveal it to us?

The donators that supported this project for so long should and will most likely be the first to play and report glitches/bugs.

Once time has come to reveal the next "big" and exciting news from black foot studios you will notice.

Hopefully they can start hiring more creative artists to get this project going more smooth. Without money its near impossible to make a functional game.

Anyways, you are saying that as soon as you have an ALPHA with playable features you will reveal it to us?

Yes. That is what I am saying. It's not that far away either. :)

The donators that supported this project for so long should and will most likely be the first to play and report glitches/bugs.

They have been able to see things that others have not to this point.

Hopefully they can start hiring more creative artists to get this project going more smooth. Without money its near impossible to make a functional game.

That has been our #1 problem. We can find lots of people that just want to help, but finding those that can do pro level work AND be willing to do so for back end money is extremely difficult to do.

What programs are the Pro level Devs using, that you need? I have a couple of friends that dabble in the gaming industry. One works for Bethesda Studios, and the other builds environements in military war-games.

John you tease I cant find the quote button on this new keyboard but. Yes. That is what I am saying. It's not that far away either. smile.png

You underestimate the ferocity and passion of the Battletech fanbase. A lot of us have been fans of that series for 20+ years and have fond memories of MW2, 3, 4, and (of course) the old table top. Which, admittedly, I still play from time to time. MWO isn't the game a lot of us wish it was, but it's the next best thing to the cancelled MPBT 3025 (if you're not a fan of the Clans and their munchkin tech). That game has a long history and a massive following that guaranteed money before it was even announced.

Still, as much as I love CBT, my entertainment money goes first and foremost to this project here.

That game has a long history and a massive following that guaranteed money before it was even announced.

Still I wonder, if we translate this to the tactical shooter genre and the fanbase of previous GR/R6/SWAT/DELTA FORCE etc., why didn't GB reach the big crowds during the previous KS. Surely there most be a big crowd full of tactical realism nuts out there, much more than the initial pledgers for the KS. When a new crowdfunding takes place, this audience needs to be reached somehow. Or are we wrong to suspect that there is still a large crowd somewhere hidden under a rock? Or are they too nitpicking and staying with what they currently have? I don't know any more... :(

You underestimate the ferocity and passion of the Battletech fanbase. A lot of us have been fans of that series for 20+ years and have fond memories of MW2, 3, 4, and (of course) the old table top. Which, admittedly, I still play from time to time. MWO isn't the game a lot of us wish it was, but it's the next best thing to the cancelled MPBT 3025 (if you're not a fan of the Clans and their munchkin tech). That game has a long history and a massive following that guaranteed money before it was even announced.

Still, as much as I love CBT, my entertainment money goes first and foremost to this project here.

Mate i stand as one of you, but we know that its a nich and that as fan base GR and RVS stand in an unique category in FPS history.

Still I wonder, if we translate this to the tactical shooter genre and the fanbase of previous GR/R6/SWAT/DELTA FORCE etc., why didn't GB reach the big crowds during the previous KS. Surely there most be a big crowd full of tactical realism nuts out there, much more than the initial pledgers for the KS. When a new crowdfunding takes place, this audience needs to be reached somehow. Or are we wrong to suspect that there is still a large crowd somewhere hidden under a rock? Or are they too nitpicking and staying with what they currently have? I don't know any more... sad.png

As i see it it was a problem in advertisement, if you remember there was advertisement for MWO everywere, on google, youtube PC Gamer, and a butch of others.

I only noticed GB because i still have contact with GR net, if not i wouldnt known about the project, many stand as i did.

We older gamers that, had the fortune of playing good old tactical FPS, know what this younger people been loosing with the new FPS games on the market, that remind me of going to an arcade and playing with tokens, fun yes thats for sure, but without porpose, kill and slash and move on. We wont a game that we can use our brain and blow someelses brain in the process, not a run and gun.

Thats why i follow GB and wait for it with nostalgia of the good old days when team work ment something.

As i see it it was a problem in advertisement, if you remember there was advertisement for MWO everywere, on google, youtube PC Gamer, and a butch of others.

I only noticed GB because i still have contact with GR net, if not i wouldnt known about the project, many stand as i did.

That is certainly part of it but it also comes down to the fact that a good portion of that "community" that did know about GB decided to #### all over it for whatever reason. It was nitpicked to death. Sorry to be blunt but its the truth.

There is also the situation that is unique to military FPS.... On the surface they can seem pretty similar. Its the small things and seemingly unimportant things to some that make the huge differences between them. We got a lot of "oh great, another modern military shooter" comments without people actually looking into what GB was. Mechwarrior doesn't have that problem. How many real mech games are out there? Some people are getting thier fill of modern military shooter out of BF3, ArmA II (now III) and even COD.

i´m sure that, that will not happen again, a bad experiment dosent meen the end, more and more people are waiting for GB.

And Mechwarrior had an advantage, that you soon will have too, a working ALPHA.

Edited by Draco

i´m sure that, that will not happen again, a bad experiment dosent meen the end, more and more people are waiting for GB.

I don't think you realize how many people during the previous KS campaign decided to nitpick or whine about all kind of meaningless ###### instead of pledging a lousy minimum of about 10 bucks. Really, so many people threw it on the heap of the next Counter Strike clone, CoD clone or whatever without even reading up or educating themselves. On top of that even individuals at places like GhostRecon.net preferred to be skeptical instead of inspired to try and bring back a genre. And with a new crowdfund campaign you have to convince them again. It will be a big uphill battle, even if there is a playable build. All those people who threw Ground Branch as a concept into the trash without looking at it are less inclined to look at a new KS for a second time. If anything, it will be even harder than before, with or without a playable build.

10 bucks were i come from is money, and i know that is hard, for some players to make a connection with the game genre, because it as been extint for more than 6 years.

And i hope you know that for every 10 trolls that write on the web there are 2000 that dont post anything.

Its always easy to push something down, never the less when the oportunity presents itself again, i will call on my contacts again to suport the game.

Mate i stand as one of you, but we know that its a nich and that as fan base GR and RVS stand in an unique category in FPS history.

FPS history, yes. Currently it's even more of a niche, especially with so many military shooters that tend to look the same. It's unfortunate, but I can guarantee that a lot of folks who saw the work done immediately associated it with either Call of Duty/Battlefield or ArmA. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to assault you or attack you in any way at all, but to claim that a series that creates table top games, video games, a TV show, a slew of books, and even a toy line is more of a niche than realisim-oriented tactical shooters is pretty far fetched. Like I said, it was guaranteed to make money.

Still I wonder, if we translate this to the tactical shooter genre and the fanbase of previous GR/R6/SWAT/DELTA FORCE etc., why didn't GB reach the big crowds during the previous KS. Surely there most be a big crowd full of tactical realism nuts out there, much more than the initial pledgers for the KS. When a new crowdfunding takes place, this audience needs to be reached somehow. Or are we wrong to suspect that there is still a large crowd somewhere hidden under a rock? Or are they too nitpicking and staying with what they currently have? I don't know any more... sad.png

It's a name thing. If it carried the GR/R6/SWAT/Delta Force name, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that things would have turned out different. Combine that with, like John said, people getting their fill of military shooters through other means, and it does kind of make things tough. I'm sure GB will carve a name for itself eventually, but it's a bit difficult to do that without a product being available unfortunately.

Mechwarrior its a niche, because it has a learning curve that not everyone gives time to learn. The same happened with the first Tom Clancys licenses GR and so on, it stands as a simulator.

I played all the Mech games sinse 89, and its a fun team based game, thats why i play it, unfortunatly if your team sucks you will have to also.

Thats what i expect on GB, team play, learning curve, and those great feature shown already on video.

Unfortunatly this sends the game to a niche.

Sure the name, is a great thing to have, thats why new GR existes, what is that? that aint my GR, they used the name to make another console game.

I never said it wasn't a niche product. I was stating that it had a bigger fan base (and larger product base) than GR/R6, therefore being less of a niche than those titles. As for the name, a name is everything. It's easy to market a name that's been heard before in one way or another. It's a completely different story if you're starting with something new.

Thanks for your thoughts. We do plan to reach out to press, partner sights and the general internet once we have something significant that people can see, hear and play. The reason we haven't done so just yet is the very reason you pointed out.....People tend to move around and lose interest quickly if they are not continually engaged. That is why we don't hype things much at this point. People will think its cool and pay attention for a bit, then move on when it takes longer to come out than they want. wink.png

Thanks for your reply! I actually get your point very well, and actually this might be the best solution for now. I hope you have some lines open when the Alpha is there, but that's very likely the case.

Is there any way for me to contribute moneywise and be able to play with when the Alpha goes public for members? I would love to give feedback and help out.

Welcome Juicy87.

Thanks, nice to meet you and this community!

I have about 100 games I paid for on my Steam account. I would trade them all for a new awesome experience like I had with AA 2.X series. So no, it isn't about the money, or new weapons and maps.

It was about the community, the gameplay, the tactical thinking. Everyone has a game they fell in love with. Mine was AA. Looking for a new love since then, hoping it will be GB.

I have about 100 games I paid for on my Steam account. I would trade them all for a new awesome experience like I had with AA 2.X series. So no, it isn't about the money, or new weapons and maps.

It was about the community, the gameplay, the tactical thinking. Everyone has a game they fell in love with. Mine was AA. Looking for a new love since then, hoping it will be GB.

My thoughts exacly