Sign in to follow this  
cheech98

Portrayal of Violence (I.e. Ragdoll and Death Animations)

cheech98   

I've noticed in a lot of games the death animations are too exaggerated or the ragdoll is simply to silly to be taken seriously. My ideas for the portrayal of violence include a mixture of immediate ragdoll or death animations followed by ragdoll.

As most of you probably know, when a round enters the "fatal T" area of the head, the body completely shuts down. There's no grabbing, no flailing, no sort of grandiose movement. The body just completely goes limp, violently so to the point where it looks like the body cannot reach the ground fast enough. Instead of coding some complex system where this round causes this ragdoll or this death animation, my suggestion is that a successful head shot (regardless of whether it lands in the "fatal T" or not) initiates complete ragdoll. This would make the success of achieving such a feat brutally obvious, showing that the hostile you just engaged with a melon hit is definitely and without question dead.

Then for below the head kills I personally think 1 or 2 good death animations would function fine (with ragdoll initiating after the animation completes). Although separate animations for arm kills, leg kills, upper torso and lower torso kills would be a nice touch, they're ultimately unneeded.

I'm sure the developers have thought about this, but I figured that a suggestion in the appropriate forum couldn't hurt smile.png. Here's hoping GB comes into a plethora of success, as this is the one game i'm really looking forward to seeing more of.

UPDATE:Use of blood.

I think blood should only be used on fatal hits. This would serve as an indicator of whether or not your hit was a kill. For all other hits, i've always thought a dust effect was more realistic. From various gifs and videos I have viewed, blood does not shoot out like a geyser upon a bullet impact, it's almost always dust or clothing being shredded that is seen.

Edited by cheech98

I remember using ragdolls in Raven Shield to figure out the general direction the person was headed that survived a shootout, animations tend to alter the information that can be garnered from a corpse despite how random a ragdoll is considering its client side...

blood such as the old blood spots like Rogue spear and Urban operations show where a person was hit from which is also information used to make tactical decisions and is a skill most people overlook...

As for operatives shooting clouds of "dust" over blood, I feel its only "simi-realistic" if the operation takes place in desert climates... its not like operatives carry around pockets full of sand in urban, oceanic, jungle, etc... climates, its just a substitute to get around ERSB ratings, to then only designate blood on only fatal shots takes away the guessing game of wither or not a person is incapacitated temporarily or out of commission to the end of the round, if you want to make sure their dead put a bullet in their skull when you run up to their body.

EDIT: this topic would do better in Projects:Ground Branch forum instead of under Site feedback/suggestions

cheech98   

I remember using ragdolls in Raven Shield to figure out the general direction the person was headed that survived a shootout, animations tend to alter the information that can be garnered from a corpse despite how random a ragdoll is considering its client side...

blood such as the old blood spots like Rogue spear and Urban operations show where a person was hit from which is also information used to make tactical decisions and is a skill most people overlook...

As for operatives shooting clouds of "dust" over blood, I feel its only "simi-realistic" if the operation takes place in desert climates... its not like operatives carry around pockets full of sand in urban, oceanic, jungle, etc... climates, its just a substitute to get around ERSB ratings, to then only designate blood on only fatal shots takes away the guessing game of wither or not a person is incapacitated temporarily or out of commission to the end of the round, if you want to make sure their dead put a bullet in their skull when you run up to their body.

EDIT: this topic would do better in Projects:Ground Branch forum instead of under Site feedback/suggestions

Oh sorry, I only read it as suggestions, not site suggestions.

Yeah, I guess you're right about the desert climates. It's just i've never really seen footage of a person getting shot and a ton of blood ejecting from said entry wound.

you probably wont either as its just an effect, one that was missing from pre-200x's games albiet more subtle effects were used such as blood pools (Raven Shield)

blood spots on character model + blood pool on ground (Old-Ghost Recon, Old-Rainbow Six)

the games which usually spray tons of blood(or substitute materials) are usually newer games; Ghost Recon Future Soldier, CoD, BF3, etc...

to say that blood doesn't spray when shot is wrong, its just not exaggerated(when using small caliber rifles) like we see in games which is like people turning a facet on... its more like viewing someone applying a Spackle to dry wall it comes out fast and fine enough that its hard to make out from afar but when witnessed up close its apparent that it happened...

I'll spare you from providing real life photos...because even hollywood over does the effect.