Sign in to follow this  
Witzbold

H-Hour: World's Elite by David Sears (former creative director for SOCOM 1 & 2)

Witzbold   

For those of you here who were part of the original SOCOM series back in the PS2 days might recognize this guy. Truthfully back then I didnt do much research into who was behind what with game development, but regardless its good to see someone trying to bring back what was good about the series. Since what we have today turned into a huge mess.

Anyways heres the kickstarter vid and figured would throw this up since it only can benefit all of us if more devs who are trying the same genre are successful showing that there indeed is a market in the tactical gaming field.

http://www.kickstart...-worlds-elite-0

Also the fact that Mr. Goodrich seems to be standing behind the project with his support is enough to get me wanting to toss into the hat. As still do have much respect for the man and what he has attempted to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o5Vx5RqnthY

*Note by Mr. Sears in regards to Mr. Goodrich's comments.

"We appreciate Greg’s kind words. You might think he’s implying that I was the creative director on every SOCOM ever made. Just to be clear I was CD and a designer on the first two, CD for the first PSP game, and CD at the studio while we were making SOCOM III and MAG but left before shipping those."

Geez.. "Give us $200k so we can make a demo and with a little luck secure publisher funding for the rest".

Also, I am now seeing that the SOCOM community is the gateway to a successful TacShooter KS. There is no PS3/PS4 release as a part of this KS so why in the hell do the SOCOM fans jump all over it? Its 100% PC and no mention that a PS release will be part of what you get. At least Takedown said a PS version would be coming at some point.

I guess I'm doing it wrong.

John, just do what you are doing and once something is playable, let people have it, even if for a small fee, and word will get around.You always said that you are not after a certain gamer and it looks as if those who like SOCOM are not part of that group as that is entirely CQB unless I miss my guess.

I recall some people not backing Takedown on these forums because Christian wanted $200,000 to make an alpha to show to investors. H-Hour is doing the samething; getting money to show investors. Just thought I would point it out.

Personally I am not too interested in what I see here. 3rd person, lots of fluff and marketing terms thrown around (team based, tactical) but does not explain how the actual game will be realistic or facilitate realistic gameplay. He also wants to find a good balance between realism and silly fun as he put it, which screams GRAW/R6 Vegas to me. Also, online only. They currently have a basic, yet playable build. However, they have not stated which engine it is on.

Overall, I am not sold. Too vague.

Geez.. "Give us $200k so we can make a demo and with a little luck secure publisher funding for the rest".

Also, I am now seeing that the SOCOM community is the gateway to a successful TacShooter KS. There is no PS3/PS4 release as a part of this KS so why in the hell do the SOCOM fans jump all over it? Its 100% PC and no mention that a PS release will be part of what you get. At least Takedown said a PS version would be coming at some point.

I guess I'm doing it wrong.

That is how Takedown did it. And yes, the SOCOM community seems to jump over whatever they perceive as being a SOCOM clone. Similar issue with Takedown. SOCOM 1 (only one I played) was good, but IMO not as good as R6 or SWAT. The SOCOM player base in general does not seem to care for realism nor realistic tactical play. They do want a slower paced MP game, but the realism and fine details seem to be worthless to them. Essentially, Counter Strike in 3rd person. Or a Gears of War type game. Judging by the posts of hte SOCOM fan base on the Takedown forums, R6/SWAT and some of the suggests for Takedown were too realistic, hard, or detailed for their tastes. But, they did help fund the game. :P

Edited by Flogger23m

Kris and I decided that we aren't going to do anything with funding until people have something playable in their hands.

And this, gentlemen, is one of the reasons why I'm reserving my hard-earned money for GB first. "First" in terms of both allocated amount and the chronological order in which I will spend them.

I still have money I want to give BFS and that is what is earmarked for. After that fiasco with that woman who used KS to send her daughter to camp along with now at least two companies trying to secure funding for ideas and not actual content, I will no longer consider KS a viable way to help small developers.

Kris and I decided that we aren't going to do anything with funding until people have something playable in their hands.

Can't wait to give my money to black foot <3

Haha... can you say "rose colored glasses" :)

People said things like that about Takedown and people will say it about Ground Branch. But at the end of the day some people will see what they want to see.

Of course I have no idea what the game looks like as I haven't seen it myself.

He believes that the ones who made the original game will deliver with their new one, just as we believe that the one who took part in making the original games (R6, GR) will deliver with his new one.

We are kind of in the same boat, except he seems to be closer to what he craves for (H-Hour in hot development phase, we have this still ahead of us I guess).

Honestly, I didn't care much about Takedown as I don't care much about H-Hour, but I never had trust in Takedown at the first place (and should have trusted myself to not pre-order it), while I have a generally positive feeling about H-Hour, and I know I can trust my instinct, usually. ermm.gif

He believes that the ones who made the original game will deliver with their new one,

I never had trust in Takedown at the first place (and should have trusted myself to not pre-order it),

He has seen the game in person.

As far as takedown goes who cares about spending a tiny bit of money supporting a indi studio trying to make a game for us. They have done a lot of work and are still trying.In time I am sure TD will be enjoyable.At the very least you made a statement that there are still hardcore players out there.

Haha... can you say "rose colored glasses" smile.png

People said things like that about Takedown and people will say it about Ground Branch. But at the end of the day some people will see what they want to see.

Of course I have no idea what the game looks like as I haven't seen it myself.

He is a diehard S2 fan brought in by the team to represent the old scool community. He has seen the game. I will judge it for myself but nice to see they brought in some community members so early on in development.

I have never watched his videos but he is known for not drinking the kool aid.

Edited by Shadowgate

Fair enough. He just seems way to over the top about it.

I'm sure H-Hour will be a good game and done well. SOCOM isn't my thing (don't like the player view) so I am a bit indifferent to it from a gamer's perspective though.

He has seen the game in person.

I assumed that much, but in the video he says that he didn't play it yet, because his computer is screwed. Or was it about the latest version that he received?

You could say I played Ground Branch, too, the pre-alpha testing builds, similar stuff you see from the Kickstarter video and GB already delivered what it promised up to a certain point. GB is not just a couple of ideas on paper.

As far as takedown goes who cares about spending a tiny bit of money supporting a indi studio trying to make a game for us. They have done a lot of work and are still trying.In time I am sure TD will be enjoyable.At the very least you made a statement that there are still hardcore players out there.

I don't cry over the money, but what was delivered was highly questionable. It doesn't matter what odds they had to face, you just don't do what they did. Or at least you really shouldn't if you are not without scruple.

I don't believe they will fix it, because they are not going to make any more money with it, and spending the few Dollars they made off it on fixing what can be safely labeled a lost case... well, I wouldn't do it, I'd suck it up and move on.

I paid for the Insurgency 2 early access and this game is better than Takedown in nearly every way, except I prefer the setting, concept and mission layout of Takedown much more.

I've seen his ranting videos in the past, where he was verbally destroying the latest Socom game. He's cool. biggrin.png

I don't believe they will fix it, because they are not going to make any more money with it,

I've seen his ranting videos in the past, where he was verbally destroying the latest Socom game. He's cool. biggrin.png

They had a resent patch didn't they? I a pretty sure it will come to ps4 so more money is coming in. I think they will spend as much as they can on it just to insure a follow up. Time will tell.

The new coverage of TD led me here hopefully all the news headlines good or bad will help all the games striving for more then the hamster shooters.

Cool stuff. Movement is very fast though. I can already see all the strafe whoring with the effect that weapons aren't going to be as lethal as they technically are, with the result that you need to fire a lot, always on fullauto, reload a lot, etc. Co-op will be different though and is what I am looking for anyway.

Cool stuff. Movement is very fast though. I can already see all the strafe whoring with the effect that weapons aren't going to be as lethal as they technically are, with the result that you need to fire a lot, always on fullauto, reload a lot, etc. Co-op will be different though and is what I am looking for anyway.

I would not expect realistic mechanics or attention to detail from this game. But it does look very much like a SOCOM sequel, which is their goal. Looks like they're on the right track.

I would not expect realistic mechanics or attention to detail from this game. But it does look very much like a SOCOM sequel, which is their goal. Looks like they're on the right track.

Sure. I didn't really mean to criticize. Back to oldschool is the formula there and that's the important part.

Nutlink   

I never really got into SOCOM, but I tried it a bit. Still, I'll consider this when it comes out. Just from the 30 seconds of gameplay it looks like it's already better than Takedown, and if it's closer to the old style SOCOM that the fans used to love, then more power to them for getting the game they wanted. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.