Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BTH

UDK Packages

6 posts in this topic

I know there are people in these forums who have a great knowledge about UDK performance-wise. A UDK project uses large data, huge package files which the editor does not fully load unless you tell it to, thus saving time and memory. Does the game do the same thing, or does it need packages to be fully loaded? If so is it wrong that a map uses a single asset out of a 300mb package?

The short question would be: does the way you build your packages affect organization only or does it affect game performance too?

I have a question along them lines too. How hard is it to put mods into something using the Unreal engine compared to other games that had it as simple as just dropping it in a folder and it working much like R6 and GR did?

The game itself will only load the data it needs. However, the editor will need to load entire packages if you want to work in them. So BTH, its a little bit of both depending on what you are doing.

WK... At the moment things are more complicated than that depending on what kind of mod you are making. Simple asset mods are pretty much drop ins, but mission based ones are not. Right now mission scripting is part of a map and not a separate thing like they were in R6/GR. So a new mission requires a new map. We are looking at ways to "de-couple" things so you can easily have multiple missions per map and have a couple ideas.

Thanks, John! That sets a few issues straight.

How would cooking packages affect? You don't need to cook packages for PC but it's something you can do. I take it there must be a difference.

Yeah John, that is what I was thinking about. I loved how people could make new missions for maps without having to make a new one. But, what about making just new maps to put in without a mission. Can they not be just "dropped" in or is that possible with the UE3 engine or any Unreal engine?

Thanks, John! That sets a few issues straight.

How would cooking packages affect? You don't need to cook packages for PC but it's something you can do. I take it there must be a difference.

Cooking does a few things, but the basics of it is it removes anything that isn't used somewhere in the game and re-organizes data into more sequencial combined files. Its designed for consoles, but is used on PC because it strips out all the unused stuff and makes your buil dmore compact.

Yeah John, that is what I was thinking about. I loved how people could make new missions for maps without having to make a new one. But, what about making just new maps to put in without a mission. Can they not be just "dropped" in or is that possible with the UE3 engine or any Unreal engine?

Yes, you can just drop in a new map. So in that respect, mods are really easy to use just like R6/OGR