Jsonedecker

Quickie... doors are opening.

60 posts in this topic

Quick in-game vid to demo the in-progress doors & animations.

Very happy with the progress with the doors. Aside from the usual opening/closing, they react to the player pushing into them and, more importantly (and cooly), your weapon.

Animation wise,  we found out the hard way that our skeleton wasn't setup to handle animation mirroring correctly. Seems my original tests relating to the swapping hands used skeletons with a different setup. Jeremy, awesome that he is, has already sorted it, but it was still a headache we didn't need.

You can see some of Jeremy's efforts in the video above and we hope to show more of it soon.

On the networking side of things, we're buggy, but stable. In a game over the weekend, John and I mucked around on a dedicated server for more then an hour, no worries. Another step towards a playable build :)

That's it.

-Kris

Read this story on GroundBranch.com

Nice update again, thanks

I just wonder this. Normally I use support hand for opening, more stable and less noise

Edited by Feertti

Nice stuff! So you can open the doors (and possibly interacting with other objects) by poking the muzzle into them. I remember talk was about realistic melee, namely by poking people with the muzzle. Could be a realistic way to open loose doors from a stationary position?

The set of options is rather nice. What is double tap time?

How comes if you run to the left as a right handed person, you hold the rifle with one hand? Is it more like if you have to run for cover and have no time to swap hands you run and (suppress) fire one handed toward the side sort of gangster style? I guess it's believable

Woah...! Once that works right it's going to be ..like..Woah! I hope the plan is to make the door look like it's broken when the lock breaks!

Well done on the options! It's going to multiply the need for beta testing by 1000! No problem though, you have us for that :)

Is that Gary Tyler? I always thought he would be a desk jockey.

Oh... and the gangster style stance... I hope that's just for sidearms, isn't it. Can't picture doing that with a rifle or light machine gun...

What's the correct way to open a door, (tactically)?

Via hand

Via shoulder barge/ lean into

Via frontal kick

Via breaching gun

???

...not a crit just asking :thumbsup:

How many have joined a MP session...any stress testing yet?!

Oh... and the gangster style stance... I hope that's just for sidearms, isn't it. Can't picture doing that with a rifle or light machine gun...

lol, I've never shoot assault rifle with one hand and I think that I never going even try it

Via hand

Via frontal kick

Via breaching gun

???

...not a crit just asking thumbsup.gif

Ever heard of the expression "Art of War" ? War is called an art not because it's nice, but as in opposed to science. There are no rights and wrongs. What one military/police unit might have in their book as never-do-this, might be the main procedure for another unit. That makes Ground Branch an even greater game! There are multiple options for each situation, you can use them all or only the one that you feel more confortable with.

What would I do?

In order of preference: explosives > shotgun > frontkick > push with my hand > push with the muzzle > back kick > push with my shoulder. But in any case, the guy opening the door would never be the first to get through the doorframe.

Nice stuff! So you can open the doors (and possibly interacting with other objects) by poking the muzzle into them. I remember talk was about realistic melee, namely by poking people with the muzzle. Could be a realistic way to open loose doors from a stationary position?

The set of options is rather nice. What is double tap time?

How comes if you run to the left as a right handed person, you hold the rifle with one hand? Is it more like if you have to run for cover and have no time to swap hands you run and (suppress) fire one handed toward the side sort of gangster style? I guess it's believable

Yes, there will be melee with the rifle muzzle. What's shown with the door interaction is just an example of how once a door is opened it can be pushed with a weapon, not that you actually open a latched door by hitting it with a weapon. You can also reach out and open it with your hand as well. Doors are going to be something you need to think very tactically about in GB. ;)

Woah...! Once that works right it's going to be ..like..Woah! I hope the plan is to make the door look like it's broken when the lock breaks!

Well done on the options! It's going to multiply the need for beta testing by 1000! No problem though, you have us for that smile.png

Is that Gary Tyler? I always thought he would be a desk jockey.

We rather like where its going ourselves! Yes, the art is placeholder while functionality is being refined. If you shoot the locks you will get an accurate visual representation. Kris took my rough earlier door code and made it awesome! We can't wait to get it into people's hands to try it out.

Yes, that is Gary. He was getting fat and lazy so we made him get out from behind the desk and test some !@#$% for us. :)

Yeah the "gangster" style stance..... Its something we are testing. I wasn't a big fan of it myself but then I tried to run that direction in real life with a rifle and couldn't. I had to switch hands and shoot off handed. Guess what though.... you can do that to. We are doing this stance for times when you just need to high tail it to cover but still want to try to make the opfor put his head down. If you want to take the extra time to switch hands and go "lefty" then take off running you can do that to.

Our movement setup gives you different options for different situations and everything has a tradeoff.

Via hand

Via frontal kick

Via breaching gun

???

...not a crit just asking thumbsup.gif

All the above! And you can do all of those in GB. Heck, you can even stand in front of a door and block it from someone opening it. But you better hope they don't decide to just unload some lead through the door or your day is going to get bad quickly. ;)

Ever heard of the expression "Art of War" ? War is called an art not because it's nice, but as in opposed to science. There are no rights and wrongs. What one military/police unit might have in their book as never-do-this, might be the main procedure for another unit. That makes Ground Branch an even greater game! There are multiple options for each situation, you can use them all or only the one that you feel more confortable with.

Makes sense,,,thx for the reply smile.png

All the above! And you can do all of those in GB. Heck, you can even stand in front of a door and block it from someone opening it. But you better hope they don't decide to just unload some lead through the door or your day is going to get bad quickly. wink.png

REALLY...now that will be cool!!! thumbsup.gif

She isn't pretty kid, but she's got it where it counts!

Curves in all the right places!! smile.png

We are also looking into barricading doors by pushing objects in front of them. But this brings a lot of gameplay issues with it so it may not make it in. The biggest one is if you can move one object then you will want to move all of them. It would be strange to go into a room and push a couch in front of a door, but the chair or table in the corner can't be moved. We can't have everything movable.

Wow what a massive update that was, thanks! (I don't think this one qualifies as a "quickie" judging by how long it was). Sure hope it didn't take too much time off of developing & testing but regardless, I think all of us here appreciate the effort you put into getting these updates out. Besides, you guys are still trying to "build a game around a community", right?

Anyway I'm very impressed with the attention to detail you guys have when it comes to gameplay mechanics. Keep up the good work.

And Doze options! My goodness.

EDIT: Oh yeah and you know what this update reminds me of? Medal of Honor... DOOR-FIGH-TER!!

Edited by V2_Bloodline

Nice update. Have a post. smile.png

Ken

edit: I frequent some game forums. I would like show Ground Branches progress from time to time. Would you prefer that I linked them directly to this forum, or is hotlinking to the youtube video fine?

> support hand opening of doors

This will be the the default approach when actually 'using' a door properly, as apposed to the alternate methods of opening it.

eg. Violently.

> double tap time

Delay between key presses to check for a double tap.

Beyond this, it is considered two separate taps.

> "gangster style"

Nah... its "Oh ######, oh ######, oh ######" style.

The best thing to do is take it slower or swap hands. But, if you're desperate, nothing is stopping you.

It isn't just for handguns, but is also isn't something you can do with large weapons.

Chock it up to another 'needs testing' thing.

> options, options, options

Use them, don't use them - its up to you.

Video options especially - you can just select an 'overall' setting from very low to very high (left hand side). If you want more control, you've got it (right hand side). Plan to make the associated tooltips actually give useful information about what each option does.

> my voice

Here I was thinking I sounded tired as.

It was 1:30am after a long day.

edit: I frequent some game forums. I would like show Ground Branches progress from time to time. Would you prefer that I linked them directly to this forum, or is hotlinking to the youtube video fine?

Hotlink is fine. If people want to join in the conversations here, I'm sure they can make their own way with out being forced to.

Thanks!

The detail and work into a door shows the commitment to the game as a whole, great update, amazing work and thank you.

'Overall' setting? Tooltips too? Thank you, much appreciated!

Hey, what would be the absolute minimum of this 'double tap time' be? Can it be set to zero? Or does the actual maximum rate of fire of each weapon IRL determine the lower limit? Because some mice can be programmed to register a single click as double- or triple-clicks (i.e., players can double-tap or burst-fire with a single click with the weapon on semi-auto), and hold as multiple-clicks (i.e.. players can easily fire weapons on semi-auto as if they're on full auto). With the highest frequency of course. All these players need to do is compensate for recoil.

I think you and Psychomorph are getting all the double tap thing mixed up with shooting double taps. Remember how Kris said every key could be tapped, held, or double tapped for different actions? (eg:swapping between more than 3 gun positions using only one key). I'm pretty sure the "Double tap time" refers to that.

^ This.

Take the following command:

.Bindings=(Name="GBA_MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 | OnDoubleTap StartSprinting | OnRelease StopSprinting")

Pressing the key normally will result in normal forward movement.

Double tapping the key with in the time set by 'double tap time' will trigger the 'OnDoubleTap' part of the command, and you would start sprinting.

If you were to make your double tap time very large - say 1-2 seconds - you'd be sprinting a lot.

If you were to make your double tap time very small - 0 or 0.000001 seconds - you'd never be able to sprint, unless you had super-awesome-keyboard of best.

As far as using mouse wheels, programmable buttons and the like to work around semi-auto rate of fire limits, not going to happen. Already have the basics in there to prevent that kind of exploit. If need be, would could add additional checks, such as flagging X number of shots within Y miliseconds as an exploit.

That being said, and if reality is anything to go by, some people are amazingly fast with on the trigger.

In the paintball world, they use long, ultra-sensitive optical or magnetic triggers to get 20-30 rounds per second, semi-automatic. That's 1200-1800 rounds per minute.

Pretty insane :)

Ok, so most of the time its lower then that for actual sustained fire, but its still impressive.

I'm not sure what kinds of semi-auto speeds you can get with in firearms on average, barring modified trigger groups etc. It is something we can tweak in the future as we go.

Great update and interesting points brought up in this topic. Great to hear we will have some many ways to open doors etc. you guys are really doing the stuff that needs to be done :)

As I've stated before,IRL you can potentially manage a somewhat higher rate of fire using single over auto but you are flirting with being met by a dead trigger. Neither the AR or AK has a block for the trigger/hammer so aslong as it's reset by the carrier cycling the hammer can be dropped. For it to fire though the carrier needs to be all the way forward again or the firingpin isn't long enough to contact the primer. So drop the hammer before the carrier is forwards and the hammer will just follow it forwards and you get a click.

Pretty good case in point here, starting around the 4:20 minute mark.

So I'd suggest if you can to set the max allowed single ROF to exactly what the ROF for auto is = nothing gained from programming a mouse to multiply clicks.....presto, problem fixed.