Jsonedecker

Notice about modding

25 posts in this topic

I said a while back that I would let you know when things changed regarding UDK compatibility and modding standards. Well some things have changed.

Ground Branch is no longer compatible with the UDK file format. All the source art is still fine it just means you will need to reimport everything. You cannot move packages over from UDK and have them work.

The internal scale has also changed. We were using 1uu = 2cm and we are now using 1uu = 1cm. So it's a 1-1 ratio. So you will need to scale anything built to the old scale by 200% and you are good to go.

The reasons behind all this will become more clear in the near future.

If I remember correctly this UDK format change was known and good that it happened at this stage.

And I think that scale change also makes design more easier.

Ouch! That's a lot of work....

So neither .udk nor .upk files will work?

From my tests with different scales I take it the change has something to do with lighting. Lights and shadows look so much better when you scale stuff by 200%. If not... what can it be? some third party application's requirement? stirringthepot.gif Don't know what's cooking but it sure smells nice in there...

Ouch! That's a lot of work....

So neither .udk nor .upk files will work?

If you used Landscapes in UDK then you will be able to export those as a heightmap along with material layers and easily rebuild them in GB. But UPK and UDK files will not be compatible.

If you used Landscapes in UDK then you will be able to export those as a heightmap along with material layers and easily rebuild them in GB. But UPK and UDK files will not be compatible.

Glad when I reformatted my PC that I failed to keep a backup of my Afghan map. Now I have nothing to be ticked off about.

Thank God for TBI's!

Will it be necessary to switch my .ase and .psk to .fbx with the new build?

@Detcord: You still keep the heightmap used to make your terrain?

Will it be necessary to switch my .ase and .psk to .fbx with the new build?

@Detcord: You still keep the heightmap used to make your terrain?

Nope. I thought I moved all of the files over to my external, but I didn't.

Would it be wise to stop making second sets of UV's for static lighting and use that time to make roughness maps?

Is there still a place for static lightmaps in UE4?

Static lighting is still very much part of UE4 so keep doing your lighting UVs as you will definitely need them. I have setup our base materials to either use a roughness map or a general set of values. The numerical values do a good job of giving generic roughness for a material so you could get away with just using that to start. Making roughness and metallic maps for everything is pretty time consuming... the results are worth it, but it does take time.

I'm psyched to hear what the news about Unreal4 means for modding--will the community be able to access mod tools with the early build? Will Unreal let out modding tools with the new licensing arrangements? Too.. many.. questions...

I loved RvS and made a few maps a long time ago, I'd love the chance to play at map-making again.

So there is still some unknowns about this given the news of today. Under this agreement we no longer have the ability to ship the editor with our game. You will need to sign up for your own $19 license and get the editor yourself. Once you have that you can load GB in it and mod away. The way UE4 works is the engine/editor is it's own thing and games are separate 'projects' that are self contained and loaded. So you have one engine/editor but any number of projects.

The requirement to pay for the editor is kind of a bum deal in a way, but its not that bad. Simply sign up and pay, get the download then at the end of the month cancel. You are still allowed to use the editor all you want, you just don't get updates until you start up your subscription again. So really its $19 to mod GB. Then you can always re-up every few months to get the latest version if you want.

One positive side effect of this is now that you are under Epic's agreement directly, and if we chose to allow it, you could actually make money off your mods. You have your own royalty agreement with Epic so it removes BFS from that equations. We just need to decide if we want to allow it with our IP is all.

Is this an issue with only Ground Branch or all UE4 games? As I read it it is for all UE4 games. So no more free UDK or free modding. Looks like Crytek still offers the free SDK as well as the licensing option which is wonderful.

Edited by Flogger23m

Is this an issue with only Ground Branch or all UE4 games? As I read it it is for all UE4 games. So no more free UDK or free modding. Looks like Crytek still offers the free SDK as well as the licensing option which is wonderful.

Its the case for any game made using the new Epic Licensing. You can still negotiate other licensing deals with Epic to get something more customized and we may still do that down the road. But for now that is the way it is.

Also, UDK was never for modding. It is a game creation toolkit. You couldn't make something in UDK then move it over to a UE3 game and have it work unless the developer of the game kept parity with the UDK releases and didn't change some specific internal code to make their build unique. It is HIGHLY unlikely that that was ever done by a developer.

Same thing with Crytek.... its a toolkit and could never be used to mod a retail game itself. And you don't get full source code with it either. That is a huge deal that I don't think a lot of people realize.

Its the case for any game made using the new Epic Licensing. You can still negotiate other licensing deals with Epic to get something more customized and we may still do that down the road. But for now that is the way it is.

Also, UDK was never for modding. It is a game creation toolkit. You couldn't make something in UDK then move it over to a UE3 game and have it work unless the developer of the game kept parity with the UDK releases and didn't change some specific internal code to make their build unique. It is HIGHLY unlikely that that was ever done by a developer.

Same thing with Crytek.... its a toolkit and could never be used to mod a retail game itself. And you don't get full source code with it either. That is a huge deal that I don't think a lot of people realize.

True about that part, although I would like to mess around in it. Not sure if I want to spend $19, even if it is cheap, so as I really doubt I will do much with it. :P Shame that modders will have to pay though. Maybe they will amend that in the future because as you mentioned, making a mod for GB/other games and then porting the work into the other version will not work.

I'll get it next month when I get enough free time to exploit it. I will make so many reflecting surfaces, which I couldn't get right in UE3, that it's going to burn the **** out of my GPU! Then I'll buy a new card.

So, if I rent the engine, and Blackfoot makes changes to the code of the engine for GB, do you think l will still be able to make maps/mods with my off-the-shelf version of Unreal4?

This is all still a bit new but yes, that should be the case. The way that UE4 is built is a lot different than UE3. The engine is completely separate from the game project. In fact, the game project can be anywhere on your computer, it doesn't need to be in the engine folder structure. You load the engine then open a project to work on.

So the changes we do are mostly in the project and not the core engine. However, there may be some changes done by Epic that would require an engine update for content to work in the GB project. This would mostly be code related and not asset related. So as I have said, its all sort of knew for us, and everyone else, so we don't have all the answers.

We will do our best to make sure modding for GB is as accessible and open as possible though.

Thanks.

As a side note... please don't get to worried about modding at this point. We are dedicated to having full support for GB and there are many options for us to do so. The way UE4 is being licensed is very new to both Epic and it's clients so I'm sure there will be some adjustments made as things move along. They are also very open to custom licensing deals as well so when the time comes to open up GB modding we will assess the current situation of the time and make the best decision on how to proceed.

Right now I suggest those interested in UE4 and modding take a look at what Epic is offering and dive right in. Even if it's just $19 to get the editor and mess around. It really is a great tool.

As a side note... please don't get to worried about modding at this point. We are dedicated to having full support for GB and there are many options for us to do so. The way UE4 is being licensed is very new to both Epic and it's clients so I'm sure there will be some adjustments made as things move along.

Adjustments should be made. The new licensing model is great, but needs to be more flexible toward modders. I'm talking small term modding, a condition where paying $19 feels unjustified. For great scale modding, like total conversions or the like, the deal is definitely good. So basically there needs to be more balance.

Right now I suggest those interested in UE4 and modding take a look at what Epic is offering and dive right in. Even if it's just $19 to get the editor and mess around. It really is a great tool.

I always wanted to try an play around with the Unreal engines, maybe it's the right time now given how advanced the UE is today.