zeep

Elite: Dangerous

This forum's media function hates me.

The media tags need the original URL, such as below;

The URL you posted has been "edited" to start 6 minutes into the video. There are many extra characters in the URL so the forum program uses a URL shortener editing the URL so the media tags don't see youtube.com anymore it sees youtube.c...Yho, thus it does not recognize the media site and won't embed the video.

smile.png

Cockpit Interiors.

(Future update adds walking around in ships and planet surfaces.)

Concept art planetary landing.

planetaryLanding_2.jpg

The latest newsletter has much going on.

Link

Edited by zeep

Dang, it's not just the game, but what people can do with it.

It is cinematic without forcing it.

I especially like the ambient lighting inside the cockpit, I love this stuff.

He took a rendered movie, which the devs used around kickstarter and said it was a rendered movie to show off assets and to set a story mood. Also he took a recent teaser animation, of which the devs said was an animation. He put all that in a youtube movie with rock music pretending as if Frontier claims all that is in-game stuff.

Someone had time to kill. And a grudge perhaps.

That's the

. Maybe it's not meant to be an accurate depiction of actual game mechanics, but it's way over the top. You can't play not even close like this, so I find the sarcasm justified.

I don't feel it's way over the top. The trailer also says "not actual in-game footage" fwiw. It's a hyped up trailer yes, but most things you see in there are doable in-game. Quick turn with FA OFF, maybe not so fast yet. But we don't know what other upgrades are coming for the ships. Already you can upgrade various parts, changing flight behavior.

Also there's a lot of ships at the same location, which doesn't happen unless you're in a specific zone where a large battle takes place.

With all the footage of combat already out on youtube since the Alpha days, Frontier can hardly mislead. One search and people can see heaps of footage.

I'm not saying Elite Dangerous is all great right now, but there's a lot of heated reactions to the trailer that i find are over the top.

Picked this up during the Steam sale. My advice would be to not consider it, ever.

A video game, which tells you "Go watch a YouTube video", is filing bancruptcy when it comes to gameplay design.

As a huge fan of complex addons and sims the likes of DCS, XP11, and P3D, I was hoping to get into it. But that just wasn't the case. The access for new players to the fun is an absolute catastrophe. This game gives you not enough information for any of it's facets. In fact for some it doesn't give you any information at all. People who say, "Well that's the way it is supposed to be! It supposed to be a simulator of space and the complexities of piloting a spaceship." That's great and all, but a person still needs to learn how the systems work and then add a layer of mastery over it.

The game lacks a sort of fun feeling since it is so massive. Some people like that, I don't, yet that still doesn't explain why the UI is terrible and the systems of the game are so hard to learn up front. I don't care that it is complicated, that's great, but without any way of learning those systems, you hit a wall. ED fails so completely at this. Refunded just under two hours.

4 hours ago, DetCord said:

Picked this up during the Steam sale. My advice would be to not consider it, ever.

A video game, which tells you "Go watch a YouTube video", is filing bancruptcy when it comes to gameplay design.

As a huge fan of complex addons and sims the likes of DCS, XP11, and P3D, I was hoping to get into it. But that just wasn't the case. The access for new players to the fun is an absolute catastrophe. This game gives you not enough information for any of it's facets. In fact for some it doesn't give you any information at all. People who say, "Well that's the way it is supposed to be! It supposed to be a simulator of space and the complexities of piloting a spaceship." That's great and all, but a person still needs to learn how the systems work and then add a layer of mastery over it.

The game lacks a sort of fun feeling since it is so massive. Some people like that, I don't, yet that still doesn't explain why the UI is terrible and the systems of the game are so hard to learn up front. I don't care that it is complicated, that's great, but without any way of learning those systems, you hit a wall. ED fails so completely at this. Refunded just under two hours.

WOW, you being the first real review from members on this site that ends up being a negative one speaks volumes when considering the excitement and hype seen for this game since it was first announced years ago. And here I was actually thinking of buying it. I see the review score on Steam is an overall mixed reception as well. I knew it had to be too good to be true. :mellow:

Edited by dcopymope

On 11/1/2017 at 8:53 PM, dcopymope said:

WOW, you being the first real review from members on this site that ends up being a negative one speaks volumes when considering the excitement and hype seen for this game since it was first announced years ago. And here I was actually thinking of buying it. I see the review score on Steam is an overall mixed reception as well. I knew it had to be too good to be true. :mellow:

Not saying its a bad game. It's probably a good one... like underneath there somewhere. Visually speaking its stunning and the sound design is amazing but ED is the antithesis to new player friendly. The limited tut missions are so horribly lacking that the game becomes an alt-tab fest to look things up on the internet, and you as a player shouldn't have to do that, like ever.

The UI, while not the worst I've ever encountered, is still the epitome of frustrating and poorly done. Nothing is explained on how to use anything. You're simply told that action X will help in situation Y, and then told to use said action without telling you how to get there. You're then stuck hitting key combo's attempting to navigate to a menu a website or forum post told you to go to because again, the tutorials are so lacking, you had no idea even existed. 

The game is a complete mess. Plus you have the whole 'mile wide/inch deep' aspect to it. As much as I hate to say it, I'd just wait for SC to be release. 

3 hours ago, DetCord said:

Not saying its a bad game. It's probably a good one... like underneath there somewhere. Visually speaking its stunning and the sound design is amazing but ED is the antithesis to new player friendly. The limited tut missions are so horribly lacking that the game becomes an alt-tab fest to look things up on the internet, and you as a player shouldn't have to do that, like ever.

The UI, while not the worst I've ever encountered, is still the epitome of frustrating and poorly done. Nothing is explained on how to use anything. You're simply told that action X will help in situation Y, and then told to use said action without telling you how to get there. You're then stuck hitting key combo's attempting to navigate to a menu a website or forum post told you to go to because again, the tutorials are so lacking, you had no idea even existed. 

The game is a complete mess. Plus you have the whole 'mile wide/inch deep' aspect to it. As much as I hate to say it, I'd just wait for SC to be release. 

And to add insult to injury is how they had people just pick up and play the game at events as if the learning curve was relatively small. We now see that this couldn't be further from the truth. This game exemplifies everything I said about Arma 3 and its unintuitive control scheme and UI. These developers confuse a game being a user friendly experience for noobs with adding realism and/or depth to the gameplay like with Elite Dangerous. They just don't get it. This is why these games would never do well on the console. Its not because of its realism, its not even due to its steep learnig curve, its because the games are a hot mess. 

This looks like a very deep game, but all that potential is wasted with a less than intuitive, clunky user interface and control scheme, with no good tutorials to add even more insult to injury. If this was on the console, this game would have surely been ripped apart from the inside out just like Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. If there is one good thing I can say about the console market, it is that it is far less forgiving when it comes to the issues plaguing games like Elite Dangerous and Arma 3. It is a pit that I sincerely hope Ground Branch avoids. Ground Branch should be ported to the consoles someday, because I am certain that it will at the very least be a sleeper hit if not a massive hit if its easy to pick up and play. Just think of Ghost Recon 1 on the original Xbox and you'll see what I mean. It was a game that was exactly like the PC version yet console players loved it. 

Edited by dcopymope

5 hours ago, dcopymope said:

If this was on the console, this game would have surely been ripped apart from the inside out just like Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. If there is one good thing I can say about the console market, it is that it is far less forgiving when it comes to the issues plaguing games like Elite Dangerous and Arma 3.

"A "preview" version of the game for Xbox One was later released via the Xbox Game Preview Program in June 2015 during Microsoft's briefing at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2015,[8][9] and was fully released in October 2015,[10] with a PlayStation 4 version which was released on 27 June 2017. Elite: Dangerous supports virtual reality devices, including the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.[11][12] By the end of April 2015, Elite: Dangerous had sold over 500,000 copies, with Frontier Developments expected to generate £22 million from sales.[13]"

- Wikipedia/Elite: Dangerous

Also:

image.png.4dcda863c7869d1a2e653f88d6cac10e.png

And:

" The game had sold around 1.7 million units by the end of May 2016.[92] By the end of December 2016 over 2.1 million paid franchise units were sold of Elite: Dangerous.[93] As of August 2017, the game has sold over 2.75 million copies.[94] "
The remaining 2,25 mio would generate a modest 33.750.000 $ in revenue at an average price of 15$, currently, it is sold at 30$.
I´d call that a success and I would certainly make similar "mistakes" with my business again in future projects.

On topic after that little correction.

I think that the problem with Elite is more the basic concept in itself if you even want to call it a problem. It is currently in many regards the best and most advanced iteration of THE space game (you know, where you play as trader, pirate or privateer, maybe also as a miner, should you be a very boring person). The alleged problem is now, that this concept is inherently grind-tastic, which a lot of gamers don´t realize when seeing trailers for Elite, No Man´s Sky, or SC. They probably think they get a playable Star Wars movie or something. Same with the non-SP- campaign part of SC, really. It is just how open space games are. But many people don´t have problems with this. 

The tutorial thing is not the best solution (I´d prefer reading actual manuals on the toilet while the games install, but that complaint is kinda 2005, right...), but I´m sure not a huge problem with the vast majority of people. Youtube is successful for a reason.

It saddens me when i see how negative people can react to this game. But i understand most of their criticism and they simply don't like how it plays out.  Not everyone can enjoy this game that i'm crazy about since my childhood. :)

Where i don't really have to do anything when i feel like just hanging around someplace nice. Watch stuff. Or i can go shoot people, trade, travel, do missions, drive around and mine. Big and small ships. etc.

I hope to see landing on (inhabited) planets with atmospheres in the future. It looks amazing in SC!

People constantly reiterate that it has a steep learning curve. It doesn't, like at all. It's just that everything is so poorly laid out or completely untouched that it becomes a process of trial and error. 

The tutorials are incomplete, simple as that. In no way do they explain the intrinisc details of steering your ship. You may be able to get a small grip on it, but main points like managing your energy output aren't in any way explained enough. And that although they are so damn important that not knowing them can totally change your entire perception of this part of the gameplay. Navigation and planning a proper route through space is equally important, to a degree that I would admire it if the game would explain anything. But instead it gives you confusing and even contrary information on different screens of it's own menus.

Elite also has an overall horrible lack of information so that you feel like you're stranded somewhere in the Middle Ages, instead of nearly 300 hundred years in the future. None of this is rewarded in any appropriate way. There is nothing where you can lean back look at what you have accomplished and say: "Yes, that was all the hard work worth!" It's just menu after menu with minimal information. I shouldn't have to pull up the internet and read the equivalent of a small novel in guides to even be able to begin playing. This should have been done by proper game-design beforehand,  which is why its called design. Even after all the patches and Horizons update the game is still an empty and frustrating mess.

To be able to learn something it should be presented by the game so you can learn it. There should be information in the game on how the different systems relate to one another, not just to learn it, but also to be able to make the calculations or comparisons when I know how to do it. Then, when you don't understand the systems the game presented, there should be no issue with looking up what is what elsewhere. This is not what ED does however. In Elite you actually have to discover that these are actually said systems, and you only discover these when you failed to do something because of their existence (or their relations to one another). This disrupts the gameplay and leads to avoidable frustration,, again and again and again.

When I read the GE review I kinda tossed it aside and bought it anyway. I mean it could be as bad as that, right? Now I see where he was coming from.

It really isn't very complicated at all. I would guess that I have well over a hundred hours in it and the only systems that are even close to complex is the power and load-out management. And honestly even those are very basic. I'm not a sim enthusiast either. I put down IL-2 Sturmovik and numerous other similarly complex flight sims very quickly because I couldn't be bothered to learn how to manage all the sub systems of a plane. Elite: Dangerous really has very little of that complexity.

The game is just very bare bones. The basic mechanics of fighting are good but the progression is slow, the UI is terrible and the universe lacks personality. The whole thing feels sterile. Despite the game world being absolutely vast, I found it very difficult to escape the feeling that once I'd seen a few hundred planets I had more or less seen everything the game had to offer. Don't take this to mean that you shouldn't play it. The game is fun and I've put a lot of time into it. However it was released in an incredibly bare state and although some effort has been made to remedy this since launch I now get the impression that the devs have moved onto releasing paid DLC without delivering a fully-realised base game.