Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonathan

Unreal Engine 4

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Thought this may be of interest on some of the UDK Developers.

Also I wanted to ask since GB is being designed in UnReal 3 will it be possible to update the game to Unreal Engine 4 features/graphics later on down the road?

Jonathan.

Anything is possible I suppose. But it isn't something you just do an upgrade for. The 2 engines are pretty different.

Hi, now it's been confirmed you are moving to UE4 what does that mean for modding, will you still be able to launch an SDK (if so I'm guessing you will be one of the first to do so particularly for an FPS - I think fortnight is supposed to also).

Will stuff currently being developed by modders on UDK be able to be transferred relatively easily?

Thanks.

Assets from one to the other, aside from the scale adjustment, is pretty straight forward. Have to alter things to use new material/shaders etc. You can't directly port maps either. Aside from that, pretty straight forward.

As far as modding in weapons, equipment etc, the blueprint system makes that easier (see news).

What does the licence agreement say about Unreal Editor? Are you allowed to include it on release? That would be awesome :P

Yeah that was really part of my question as you would imagine (obviously I have no idea!) that if you want to release an UE4 game with SDK it costs more than just

licencing the engine for the game only. Though I guess as they haven't said 'modding is cancelled' that its still gonig to happen so they must have sorted all that out with Epic.

This reminds me of the following:

(from: BlackFoot Studios Licenses Epic's Unreal Engine 3!)

What if Unreal Engine 4 is on the way before Ground Branch is ready?

It's not and it won't.

UE4. So what happens now?

Nothing.

It's not here and it won't be available until after GB is done. And even if it were somehow available to developers, we would not have access to it. EPIC only deals with top tier developers when new engines are available and that privilege is NOT cheap. So BFS will not be in position to even ask with a straight face to be considered to license UE4 for quite some time.

smile.png

Nice one!

Let's just say that I believe Unity has had a VERY positive effect on the engine licensing business and Epic is adjusting to changing dynamics in that space very well. :)

Nice one!

Let's just say that I believe Unity has had a VERY positive effect on the engine licensing business and Epic is adjusting to changing dynamics in that space very well. smile.png

Yeah, I think Epic had to make some changes in the face of some extreme competition from Unity, including it's price, and the ease of use it offers. I take it you got a pretty good deal?

John: Hi Epic, we move to Unity, kthxbye.

Epic: Noo, plz, here you has seksy deal.

Kris (looks at code): Seksy confirmed.

John: Hi Epic, we move to Unity, kthxbye.

Epic: Noo, plz, here you has seksy deal.

Kris (looks at code): Seksy confirmed.

My bet is that Epic is interested that a realistic game is made in their engine. That would explain the seksy deal. Epic can keep on working on their sci-fi for showcase, while they use someone else's work to showcase realism. Who knows? maybe the developer of the next Medal Of Battlefield Duty gets inspired by BFS' work to use Unreal Engine 4.

Unity is a common competitor for all game engines, but Epic's struggle is against IDtech, Crytec and Dice.

I don't think they're specifically interested in a realism game being developed with their engine, because I doubt that word means anything to anybody, but they're likely interested in keeping customers, because the days where the Unreal engine was the Nr.1 engine are no more. Most of the AAA studios developed their in-house engines (cheaper than a license) or use one of the competitors as you say.

I think the Unreal Engine is no longer the preferred option by the big companies, but is a great choice for Indie developers, which puts Unity as it's direct competitor on that front. And speaking about fronts, I believe that Unreal is still the most versatile engine. While Unity is more for the smaller developers and Crytec best suited for the large companies, Unreal covers all fronts. It is as much usable and affordable for Indie devs as it is for the large AAA studios. Powers have shifted but Epic still goes good I think, but they surely try all they can do to keep their customers happy (I believe they did even when UE was Nr.1 still).