Jsonedecker

Interview with OnlySP.com

I hate when co-op is never mentioned when speaking about Ground Branch. Rainbow Six was all about co-op and it is the only game mode I need from GB. SP-campaign playable as co-op is the way to go.

Er, I'm guessing single player is still some way away, compared to PvP/TvT multiplayer?

Yeah I read that as well. Seems BlackFootStudios are on their own how to handle with A.I

I hate when co-op is never mentioned when speaking about Ground Branch. Rainbow Six was all about co-op and it is the only game mode I need from GB. SP-campaign playable as co-op is the way to go.

BFS has previously stated that Coop would be included, but the AI situation needs to get worked out. There were some things that were being looked at in the past to get AI into the game, but I cannot say for sure that is still an option right now due to costs. Maybe John can elaborate more. Trust me, I want Coop just as bad as you do and I know there are others here who want it too and I am confident that BFS will give us an SP campaign we can play in Coop, just like GR and R6/RS.

I am in it for the SP. Co-op for those rare occasions. The other modes I am not too interested in, but will probably play them a good bit if I find it fun. The game is in the SP/co-op, IMO. And I don't like co-op as I would much prefer to issue the orders myself and equip my team as I see fit. And avoid all the other nuances of MP gaming.

Weapons are intended to behave realistically. Performance is based on “a set of real world values” for each gun, which dictates the way weapons perform. “Things like weapon length, weight and what attachments you have determine how things perform in game.” Sonedecker told us. “A short barrel small caliber MP5 is not a good weapon to have in long range engagements. Likewise a long barrel heavy sniper rifle would be a bad choice in a close quarter’s tight environment.” BlackFoot are dedicated to this real world data, vowing to keep the real stats even if it means that certain weapons are unbalanced. “We will never artificially change values of a weapon’s performance to make it more ‘usable’.” Sonedecker said. “If a particular weapon rises above others in certain types of gameplay then so be it. The weapons themselves do the balancing by their very design.”

Balance is one thing, but expectation is apparently another thing: A game engine may be quite capable of very accurately simulating gunfire in a variety of conditions, but developers seem to deliberately fudge the results to conform to how players expect a gun to work rather than how it actually works.

"We could make it as anally realistic as possible. But we're not trying to make a live simulator."

- Philippe Theiren, RVS2 designer at Ubisoft Montreal, "gun guy"

(Source: an article from 2008)

Apparently for some, "reality is unrealistic".

"Never remove realism to promote realism." smile.png

I remember Goliath (Theiren) stating that time and again over the years when it came to the Ubi R6 games. Sadly, his firing will not change how R6 weapons are made or handled.