Jsonedecker

Hate mail

52 posts in this topic

In my 17 years of doing this I have really never gotten hate mail..... until this week! I have gotten a few mails hating on GB and myself as a game developer. Lots of curse words and links to things on the net that are "so much better" than what we are doing. (There have been a few positive and legitimate critique emails as well smile.png )

I haven't received any death threats (as some in the industry have) yet, but this is the worst I have ever gotten. I guess I have finally "arrived" as a modern game developer! bud.gif

Lots of curse words and links to things on the net that are "so much better" than what we are doing.

John, what you are doing is so much better than what ANYONE else is doing in the gaming industry today! Don't let them discourage your vision. You just watch when Ground Branch launches those guys that sent you hate mail are going to regret it! I can't think of anything else that will be better than Ground Branch.

Edited by Jonathan

You know you aren't good at something until someone hates you for it.

You mean: IS good AT something.

We get that at work a lot.

Welcome to the Internet

Yeah no worries folks. I don't get discouraged by junk like this. Just though it was funny that of all the things I have done, had my name attached to and been part of that this small labor of love is what gets the first hatred targeted at me directly. cheers.gif

At least the mail you get is hate related. The garbage I get is always someone asking me to help them immigrate to the United States or weird ###### like this.

John, you should really post the messages with sections redacted to hide personally identifiable information. Or you could just give them to me and I'll run with it. secret.gif

I would like to see the links of these thinks that are better than Ground Branch. A half complete, semi realistic mod that will never be released? A pony riding game? Someone denouncing your murder simulator and sending you kitten adoption links?!

Though seriously, I doubt I would care to see these links. Keep up the good work.

In my 17 years of doing this I have really never gotten hate mail..... until this week! I have gotten a few mails hating on GB and myself as a game developer. Lots of curse words and links to things on the net that are "so much better" than what we are doing. (There have been a few positive and legitimate critique emails as well smile.png )

I haven't received any death threats (as some in the industry have) yet, but this is the worst I have ever gotten. I guess I have finally "arrived" as a modern game developer! bud.gif

It's just the pre-release excitement. biggrin.png

The garbage I get is always someone asking me to help them immigrate to the United States

I take it as a "no" then? sad.png

things on the net that are "so much better" than what we are doing.

See spoiler on how to reply to such situations:

gyfSzGc.jpg

smile.png

Edited by Jeza

Way back when, I got hate mail from some teenager in regards to a SoF2 mod I created.

Since they had included their full email address, I replied politely and also mentioned that they should not be playing a game rated for adults.

Shortly there after, I received an email from the same address - it was the boys father thanking me for bringing the exchange to their attention.

An apology email from the teenager soon followed.

I giggled.

Moral of the story - don't use your parents email if you're sending hate mail.

John, you should really post the messages with sections redacted to hide personally identifiable information.

Yes, you should.

That's a good thing I think, it means GB is getting some views.

Yep. It means we are branching out beyond the core group of supporters. wink.png

I'm not going to post the emails, but here are a few choice pieces:

man you sucks

a person made game in udk(ue3) looks way better your piece of s*** made in ue4

######

you are insulting unreal engine 4 so ###### you

your game characters are like they are 1996 games characters you game look like 2005 game so ###### you you are insulting ue4

man you sucks quit developing games

Oh UE4 fanboys, they just jealous cause you get to play with it before them.

With that said...John, you suck at developing games, you should quit and send UE4 to me. tongue.png

Judging by the text, and I'm assuming you've left it as is without editing, simply leads me to the conclusion that these people are Nigerian scam artists that are really, realy hopped up on Khat. That's the only explanation I can formulate based off those dire messages. Or they're Mental Pygmies of the most extreme. Probably the latter.

The Internet doesn't make you stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible to others.

52719-Resident_Evil_-_Director%27s_Cut_(E)-8.jpg

I think he is right. Those 1996 resident evil character models looks much more next gen than yours whip.gif

kids nowadays....

I honestly think they don't deserve any more attention and john is definitly right in seing the bright side of it by saying that it means the game is beeing spoken outside the core group, and I couldn't be more glad about that fact.

let's thanks the hater tongue.png

Edited by underfox

When reading the threat title first thing i thought: damn I missed the Early Access Release :(

The game is not even released (not even early access; or is the core group of active/trustworthy forum members already playing it?!) and they judge your game.

Just make sure you don't get distracted to much by stuff like this.

Screenshots in the other thread look really nice. looking forward to that alpha. Hopefully it will be soon fingersx.gif

Yep. It means we are branching out beyond the core group of supporters. wink.png

I'm not going to post the emails, but here are a few choice pieces:

man you sucks

a person made game in udk(ue3) looks way better your piece of s*** made in ue4

######

you are insulting unreal engine 4 so ###### you

your game characters are like they are 1996 games characters you game look like 2005 game so ###### you you are insulting ue4

man you sucks quit developing games

John... why do you post my constructive criticism from the donator forums openly like that? Not cool man, not cool.

angry.png