Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jsonedecker

Now you know.....

37 posts in this topic

I could see this coming... but not this early...

This is great news!

Ps: Does "full c++ support" mean the usual for Epic or is it that the low level code is opensourced now?

As far as I know it is FULL source. Still awaiting for our unique logins to get processed before we can get the new build and access.

Wow I posted the Hourences vid yesterday thinking "ooo, more info" then come home today and see this ######! Much earlier than expected, downloading as we speak :o

So how does this change/help/impede GB?

It doesn't other than now we can share with everyone and are no longer bound by some previous license restrictions. We were pretty much beta testers for this and Epic wasn't exactly sure how they were going to present/market it. So we had to wait on them to make that move before we could do anything. :)

Epic sure did shock the indie community today, even Crytek got in on the action with $10/month.

I'm having a blast with it, really like how they sorta copied Unity workflow, so much cleaner and simpler now.

So what does this mean for GB modding? Will you be able to release tools with the first build now? If not, will maps made UE4 transfer over to GB?

NEVERMIND

Edited by MurDoc

There is something I don't really get. The $19 are monthly subscription fee and there are no modding tools, so that modders need to pay the fee as well? Monthly? Great deal for developers, but isn't it death to modding?

There is something I don't really get. The $19 are monthly subscription fee and there are no modding tools, so that modders need to pay the fee as well? Monthly? Great deal for developers, but isn't it death to modding?

You can cancel. But I think it is $19 to mod your UE4 games. Just cancel the subscription, you get charged $19 and get no updates. Now the issue is if a game that releases next year and requires some of the updates you might have to pay an additional $19 for one month to get the updates. But I am not sure if that is technically correct.

Crytek still offers CE3 for free (no source code) and offers a similar package to Epic but at $10. I think Crytek's model allows for game modding without paying for the source code ect. Hopefully Epic will follow through.

So you pay 19 once, but get it as is without further updates in. To get an up to date version you pay 19 again, or if you need updates frequently, as a developer for instance, you pay monthly. Makes sense. Still changes the face of modding, not sure if for the better, but serious modders will probably benefit. In any case I'm glad it benefits Blackfoot.

So you pay 19 once, but get it as is without further updates in. To get an up to date version you pay 19 again, or if you need updates frequently, as a developer for instance, you pay monthly. Makes sense. Still changes the face of modding, not sure if for the better, but serious modders will probably benefit. In any case I'm glad it benefits Blackfoot.

In the instance of modding, I would think you are best served with waiting until the game releases and then buy in. Though if the game updates itself and uses a newer version then perhaps modders will have to pay again... not ideal for modders, but great for devs. $228 per 2 years if I am not mistaken. And I would think some teams can get away with renewing only a few times once there are big enough changes. Then multiply that by how many developers you have who need a separate copy. Then of course, the 5%.

I'm not sure that's how it works. You have to log in the epicgame launcher first before launching UE4. So I might be more enclined to think that once you stop paying your month, you simply loose access to UE4 entirely, until you pay another month.

but like I said I'm not sure about it really.

Edited by underfox

I heard that if you buy a subscription for 1 month and when that month is over you can still use the it but you won't get any updates.

nevermind, I tested it by disconnecting myself from the net and there is an option to go in offline mode without having to connect to your account.

I think you are right jonathan.

Edited by underfox

You do not need to be online to use it and you can use it forever after you cancel your subscription. The only restriction is you no longer get updates until you subscribe again.

You do not need to be online to use it and you can use it forever after you cancel your subscription. The only restriction is you no longer get updates until you subscribe again.

With such a new software, and one that is technically still in development (will be for a long time), updates will be crucial. For small scale modders this should not be a big problem though. I wonder, are there group licenses? Like a single (more expensive) subscription for a small team, so not every single individual has to constantly pay the fee?

I would think not. At $19 a month it is still cheap. I would think there are not many big changes month to month anyways. So you can get away with paying $19 x 15 for a small team of 15 people... or subscribe for a month 6 months in the project then cancel. And do it again if needed. So now we are looking at $19 x 15 x 3. It is still rather cheap. But if they do offer a cheaper package then that would be wonderful.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0