Sign in to follow this  
echeddar

Interface

echeddar   

I'm excited about having a game to make maps for again, and have a question for those who are using UE4: I figure on letting the dust settle before subscribing for $20 month, but meanwhile, does it make sense for me to play with UDK to get the hang of using the editor? Our is the interface in the UE4 editor different enough that I should wait?

If you have never used an Unreal Engine editor before then it makes complete sense to mess with UDK if you don't want to subscribe to UE4 just yet. There are a lot of differences for sure, but the core of what you do is still very similar. Though, honestly, I would just pony up the $19 to get the editor then cancel and learn on that. You still get access to all the documentation even after you cancel. Might make it easier for someone new to Unreal Engine that way so you don't need to "unlearn" anything.

Verbal K   

Totally agree with John here, just scrounge the money together to get it and cancel. I'm sure there are people here who have been using Unreal engine/UDK much longer than me and I've only played a little with UE4 but everytime I go back to UDK now I feel a little disappointed which to me speaks volumes about how slick the new interface is.

Although using UDK would be useful for you for a lot of situations to me if you are starting from scratch you may as well start with the new one so if there are any differences in any elements (blueprint vs kismet) it saves you having to learn extra/new stuff when you do eventually get UE4, though obviously if the money is an issue UDK is better than nothing ;)