echeddar

Modding Asset Repository

If there is enough known about GB with regard to UE4 to start making assets for mapping and modding, would the GB modding community find it useful to put together a repository for sharing assets? Things like meshes, materials, textures, sounds, etc? I have some web space I could contribute to the cause. We could also share links for non-copyrighted stuff we find online--I found some fun textures recently while browsing.

Cool--so, do folks have assets they want to share?

And how should we organize them? I have a bit of web space to share if needed, but am pretty limited in my knowledge of all this, I only ever made a few maps myself, and always used the materials and meshes that came with the game, never made my own assets previously. I've been browsing online, and found some royalty-free images I could use for textures, would others be interested in building a library of stuff to use?

Cool--so, do folks have assets they want to share?

And how should we organize them? I have a bit of web space to share if needed, but am pretty limited in my knowledge of all this, I only ever made a few maps myself, and always used the materials and meshes that came with the game, never made my own assets previously. I've been browsing online, and found some royalty-free images I could use for textures, would others be interested in building a library of stuff to use?

Sharing individual assets does not really make sense. To work effectively we should share game packages.

Let's say I make a map which is half town half forest. I create a package for trees, another one for rocks, then one for houses and one for terrain. Say each package is 200mb in size. Later on you decide to make a forest map with trees, rocks and terrains we shared. If we share the assets alone we will end up with packages called bth_rocks, ech_rocks, bth_trees, ech_trees, bth_terrain and ech_terrain, each of them 200mb in size, which have to be uploaded to a web space and the player has to download and store on his hard drive.

By sharing full packages we save space, time and money.

As a side note..... UE4 does not use packages like it did in UE3. Each thing that you import is it's own "package" now. So when you import a texture, mesh or make a material it is saved out to disk itself in a "packaged" form. Those assets can be moved between projects without problems as well.

So think of as you have a source asset you can load in your content creation applications and a packaged asset that is loaded by the game.

Make sharing a ton easier than it was in UE3, as well as no more monster package files to worry about.

I feel like I should post an apology; maybe a bit of explanation. RL has been kicking my butt, no time to play lately. The best laid plans of mice and me... Anyway, looking at the WIP Greek map post, I think I'm way out of my league here. If I get a chance to mess with it this summer, I'll follow up on the idea; meanwhile, I'll halt my $19 monthly donations to Unreal :)

I feel like I should post an apology; maybe a bit of explanation. RL has been kicking my butt, no time to play lately. The best laid plans of mice and me... Anyway, looking at the WIP Greek map post, I think I'm way out of my league here. If I get a chance to mess with it this summer, I'll follow up on the idea; meanwhile, I'll halt my $19 monthly donations to Unreal smile.png

One cannot get good unless one works at it. So what if BTH has a very nice looking map and assets. Unless you keep working at it, you cannot get better. License it for a month, you can keep using it after that, though you do not get updates. Once you get to a nice level, then show off what ya got and then update to a newer version and then go from there.

One cannot get good unless one works at it. So what if BTH has a very nice looking map and assets. Unless you keep working at it, you cannot get better. License it for a month, you can keep using it after that, though you do not get updates. Once you get to a nice level, then show off what ya got and then update to a newer version and then go from there.

Very good advice.

I'm glad you like my work, I've spent long hours on that and there is still so much work to do.

You can always start making a map with whatever assets you have. As you make more and more assets, you will get better at modelling, skinning, texturing... You can always go back and update your older models. Reimporting assets will replace them automatically, so you will not be wasting time at all if you make a map with bad looking assets. It will look a lot better when you get better and remake some assets.