Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jsonedecker

Rain down on me

51 posts in this topic

While we were sorting out some programming/middleware issues I thought I'd start working out some of the weather systems for Ground Branch. We are starting off with rain but will will also be adding in snow as well.

Of course, it goes without saying, but this is all early work that will definitely get better as we go. The most exciting thing to me is everything in our game effects gameplay. It might be subtle at times, but nothing is in there just for "fluff". Playing in a heavy rain map will alter your strategy from a bright sunny day version. Its just not for show.

At the moment this is all settings inside the map, but I would like to transition it to more of a realtime solution. We'll see how that goes........

We know development can be slow, but hang in there. It will all be worth it eventually. smile.png

-John

Read this story on GroundBranch.com

Awesome effects in U4 John, will be possible be training in the kill house with no light

just flashlight and gunshots flash...?

Thanks.

Absolutely! There will be many options for the training maps that cover pretty much every combination.

It looks ######ing awesome. Love the eye adaptation system, will have a huge effect on gameplay!

Tip: give the video a normal title on YouTube instead of the current filename(?) title. Easier for people to find smile.png for example "Ground Branch update: rain system" or something along those lines.

Fixed the video thumbnail not displaying on GB.com and in post #1. Seems like Wordpress can't handle youtube's shortening service with URLs starting as youtu.be

I just came back from work and I already got rain shower on me, fitting for new topic relating showing new Ground Branch information.

Awesome stuff, John. Thanks for the update smile.png

Will be really cool to have both random and selectable weather/day and night cycle. I wonder whether there are plans to implement server-based restrictions for equipments, possibly resulting in scenarios where teams have no night vision goggles and/or tactical lights? Although random conditions could also result in only some players bringing them to a night version of a map...

Damn, I can't wait!

Edited by SAF_Night Scope

Will be really cool to have both random and selectable weather/day and night cycle. I wonder whether there are plans to implement server-based restrictions for equipments.....

Sure will! Servers will be able to tailor games to their liking.

It looks ######ing awesome. Love the eye adaptation system, will have a huge effect on gameplay!

Yeah it is going to be a cool feature!

Tip: give the video a normal title on YouTube instead of the current filename(?) title. Easier for people to find smile.png for example "Ground Branch update: rain system" or something along those lines.

Good suggestion... done.

Fixed the video thumbnail not displaying on GB.com and in post #1. Seems like Wordpress can't handle youtube's shortening service with URLs starting as youtu.be

Thanks.

Thanks for the share John, I can see the eye adaptation will have a huge effect on combat and gameplay especially with respect to cqb.

I just hope I don't get struck by lightening at spawn.

And I wouldn't hope Thunderstruck will be playing in radio somewhere I'll playing in Ground Branch. I miss SWAT 4 sometimes for these.

Very nice, thanks for taking the time out to show us ;)

&

And I wouldn't hope Thunderstruck will be playing in radio somewhere I'll playing in Ground Branch. I miss SWAT 4 sometimes for these.

+1

Zombie survival mode with atmospheric weather - check.

Great stuff! Run down from roofs, don't think I've seen this in games before. I love thunder and lightning (I tend to go outside when its storming, when people go inside...) and this is just awesome. Be sure to have proper lightning/sound travel discrepancy, just as with any sound (gunfire, explosions).

What I criticize (generally, not looking much at GB WIP) is seeing those white rain strips on the dark. Rain does not glow, it is as dark as anything and even in bright light it is hard to see, being rather gray and much thinner, also not sure if the falling speed is right in the WIP. When there is a light source (car light for instance) than the drops reflect the light, but appear not like long slow strips, but a glimmer full of sparking dots.

I know it is technically a challenge to have rain looking right, I hope you find a good way.

Also, heavy rain are particles and as such affect the view. Basically a heavy rain front looks a bit like a fog wall in the distance. It affects visual clarity at range. If possible, address that.

Knowing how good your map work is and with such advanced weather effects, immersion is ensured.

The effects themselves will get a lot of work once we get a real effects person on board. Right now the focus is on functionality with serviceable effects.

I can't wait to see things when the art is being heavily updated. :)

Artist can make painting in masterpiece with any brush.

Compliment to you, John and Kris. I'll be waiting for part 2.

I'm really impressed. It looks great, and I'm happy You are thinking about stuff like this. Ability to change daytime and weather multiplies maps count.

One small thing though, I don't know if it's engine thing, or is it tweakable, but raindrops moves to slow imho.

+1000 on that eye-adaptation game changer.

Oh boy, I really like the ambience of the map with the sound of thunder and rain. Can't wait to play in those condition with that music in the background

Edited by underfox

John that is Awesome! I especially love the eye adaptation which like everyone else has said will be a game changer. Great Job! Inow anxiously await video 2! smile.png

Edited by Jonathan

I'm sure this has been answered in one of the many NORG topics, but the enemy AI would be affected by thunder too right? Such as hiding suppressed gunfire with thunder (unsuppressed fire would be far too loud to really hide with thunder unless you're talking about a longer distance sniper shot...), so if you shoot someone while using a suppressor right when thunder is happening, the surrounding enemies wouldn't notice it? I kind of hate games where nearby enemies don't hear suppressed shots normally... A suppressed shot is still pretty loud, and I'm sure this game will not be like that. That's why I'm asking if you can use thunder to hide it.

so if you shoot someone while using a suppressor right when thunder is happening, the surrounding enemies wouldn't notice it?.

That is one excellent idea actually. it would be really cool if the game had something planned and I'm pretty sure those little details would help exposing the game to the audience. All those little details will definitly make the game something unique. Like opening doors with the tip of the weapon, I don't know any game having this kind of gameplay features.

Edited by underfox

That is one excellent idea actually. it would be really cool if the game had something planned and I'm pretty sure those little details would help exposing the game to the audience. All those little details will definitly make the game something unique. Like opening doors with the tip of the weapon, I don't know any game having this kind of gameplay features.

Well, I remember them saying that doors will swing open using physics, not just pre-programmed key controls. So you running into an ajar (unlatched) door would push it open, and that your weapon will also have collisions, which logically, that SHOULD mean that you can push open doors using your weapon. Don't quote me on that, just using some inductive reasoning...

Edit: Speaking of opening doors, will there be some kind of random system where some doors might be a bit squeaky while others are not??

Edited by Demon_Mustang

Gameplay implications is arguably the most interesting if not the most important thing to consider, as above. It's understandably very complicated. For instance the lightning might reveal a person who is hidden in the shadows and depending numerous factors such as the position of the lighting from the lightning itself, ambiguity of the camouflage, any movement, the distance from the person, the security level of the area, how vigilant the enemy personnel is, etc, the enemy AI may decide to either increase their alertness, seek help, sound the alarm, just freak out, and so on. It's quite complex I think.

I don't think I'll comment on the current quality of the audiovisual presentation unless I think it's going to be constructive. However, I am going to ask the same old question again (sorry):

How about when waterdrops fall on your rifle (and scope)?

It also has got to do with the player getting their kit wet and all that stuff raised ages ago. EDIT: For example, if you're wearing some kind of goggles or optics there'd be droplets on the lens... and if you're wearing a boonie hat there'd be drops along the brim as well as sound effects... too many things to list.

Edited by V2_Bloodline

How about when waterdrops fall on your rifle (and scope)?

Some scopes come with water guard which makes it so if a droplet of water is on the scope lense you will barely see it. Since GB operatives are the best of the best and equipped with the best gear possible to date I would assume they would have this already applied. I don't know about the goggles though and I do think that droplets off a boonie hat would be a cool added feature :)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Jonathan

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0