Sign in to follow this  
DetCord

Fury

Saw this move the other night. At first I was put off my all the "f" this and "f" that. I realize it is a military movie and that it would not be out character except that I don't think that word was in use as a curse word in 1945. That level of cursing either stopped quickly or I got used to it quickly. There was only one part that I totally didn't get and why it was in the movie. Overall, a good movie.

You'd be surprised how prevalent profanity was during WWII amongst the troops. Quite a few interviews with WWII veterans are out there in which they discuss how bad it was. Hollyword has done a good job of censoring and cleaning the period films by either not displaying it at all, or using dang and damn and shoot. Factually though, the troops used a lot of profanity. It's the same today.

I didn't say profanity wasn't a part of WWII (or in current military), I was saying that I don't think the "F" word was one of the curse words used back then; that at the time is was more a verb then a curse. I could be wrong but I thought it became a curse word during my lifetime and I was not alive during WWII. :shrug:

I didn't say profanity wasn't a part of WWII (or in current military), I was saying that I don't think the "F" word was one of the curse words used back then; that at the time is was more a verb then a curse. I could be wrong but I thought it became a curse word during my lifetime and I was not alive during WWII. :shrug:

The F-Bomb has its roots in the 1200's, but didn't take on its current form until the mid to late 1700's.

Plenty on its etymology is out there.

I did a lot of reading on it's origins after I posted. There are references where it didn't become vulgar until 1960's; yet other references have it being used in the 1700s. I'm over it now so it doesn't matter to me. lol