Sign in to follow this  
Jsonedecker

Extended video footage

Some may be aware that the Rain/Effects video from last week was actually cut short by about 5 minutes due to some audio synch issues. I had to cut out a section that demonstrated a few more effects:

• Flashbang

• Smoke Grenade

• Secondary Sights

After many painstaking steepness nights (not really smile.png ), I have since been able to compile that cut footage into a new video for your enjoyment!

Please be aware(I mention it a lot) that everything you see is in progress stuff and really just first iterations of things that will get a lot of attention as time goes on.

There are 2 things of particular note with this video though...... 1) There is no weapon recoil as it was disabled while fixing up some shooting mechanics. So don't panic! 2) The flashbang emits a high pitched ringing when it goes off. So please adjust your volume accordingly when watching (there is an on screen message in the video about it).

Read this story on GroundBranch.com

Scopey   

That flashbang effect looks fantastic. And the residual smoke! thumbsup.gif

Also, John, any reason why you made the video unlisted (visible only with the link)?

Mac   

Dude, that banger effect, residual smoke, and eye adaptation, is outstanding!! Thanks for the update, can't wait to get my hands on this. Keep up the good work guys.

I tried tagging SideStrafe on the YT channel.

Project Reality Forum

[H]ardforum gaming section

NoGrip Off Topic

I could really use some help spreading this to other gaming sites.

Looks good. The smoke effects look very nice. I assume the reason it is limited is due to performance concerns.

About the flashbangs, it does not look like there is a "last image burned" effect which washes into your current sight as the effects wear off. I thought that was what happened (as seen in SWAT 4) but I have never been flash banged. Anyone have more info on how it looks in the real world compared to how it looks now in GB?

I also like the 3D scopes + transition effect and the aircraft interior section. I hope that is fleshed out into a full airliner raid map.

Looking really good. Though, whenever you get to the said tweaking, I'd increase density and duration of the smoke grenade, and mb decrease the duration of the visual effect of the flashbang.

Wondering, why would you change the duration and density of the smoke with the smoke grenade? I mean, because "it's a game" almost sounds like balancing, which is a dirty word for us looking for a realistic game. Also, why did you change the flashbang effect from Rogue Spear? I think they got it right where the flashbang created a retina burn that slowly went away. I've never had the displeasure of being so close to a flashbang as it went off that it affected my vision, if anyone has, please chime in, but I would think your vision would go black, not white...

Edit: Ah, someone mentioned performance concerns regarding the smoke grenades, I can totally understand that, instead of having a ton of smoke persisting for a very long time, especially if you guys are making it volumetric...

Edited by Demon_Mustang

Never remove realism to promote realism. Personally I don't know the density nor the duration of an actual smoke grenade (I really don't) but it would be nice to learn what to expect from a video game that claims itself to be NORG. Having said that, regardless of your decision, I respect it because there must be a good reason why BFS would go with that decision, and besides, like you said it'll be adjustable anyway so it can always be iterated and modded.

I haven't been flashbanged in real life before, so I have no comment regarding that matter!

Also: "Flashbang". LOL!

The reason for the smoke tweaking is as people mentioned... performance. Rendering large transparent particles like that is pretty render intensive and gets worse the denser it gets and the more screen space it covers. So making it thicker cuts FPS. Making it bigger cuts FPS. Then making it last longer makes your lower FPS last longer.

Regardless of NORG, games are a fine balance and we have always said that there are times when things need to be adjusted based on technical reasons. ;)

Also, why did you change the flashbang effect from Rogue Spear? I think they got it right where the flashbang created a retina burn that slowly went away. I've never had the displeasure of being so close to a flashbang as it went off that it affected my vision, if anyone has, please chime in, but I would think your vision would go black, not white...

Its not like we had the RS effect and decided to change it. We aren't working from anyone else's game as a base.

Scopey   

The reason for the smoke tweaking is as people mentioned... performance. Rendering large transparent particles like that is pretty render intensive and gets worse the denser it gets and the more screen space it covers. So making it thicker cuts FPS. Making it bigger cuts FPS. Then making it last longer makes your lower FPS last longer.

Regardless of NORG, games are a fine balance and we have always said that there are times when things need to be adjusted based on technical reasons. wink.png

My only "concern" (not really as I'm sure you'll make it work just fine in the end) is with the effectiveness of the smoke as it looks in the video. Hopefully you'll manage to tweak it to a larger/denser cloud without affecting performance too much. And I just thought, if the smoke effect is too subtle, won't it force players to use more smoke grenades, lowering the performance even further? Just wondering.

Understood. thumbsup.gif

With better optimization, more powerful capabilities, and newer technologies -- hopefully in the NEAR future -- perhaps these technical limitations can be better tolerated, worked around, overcome, or maybe even avoided altogether.

Right now though, I'm quite happy to accept a reasonable compromise. smile.png

underfox   

The effects are neat really I really like the flashbang effect. Great job really.

hehe the airplane with the pop up targets shifty.gif

Edited by underfox

Its not like we had the RS effect and decided to change it. We aren't working from anyone else's game as a base.

Well, the reason why I mentioned that is because it's a game that has already been out and I think the effect should be pretty close to correct. Like I've said, I haven't had the visual effect of a flashbang happen to me before, but just thinking logically, overstimulating all of the photoreceptors in your eyes should result in your vision going black, not white? I'm afraid to shine a bright light in my eye to check, but to my recollection, if anything, the vision should turn black...

Kael   

My only "concern" (not really as I'm sure you'll make it work just fine in the end) is with the effectiveness of the smoke as it looks in the video. Hopefully you'll manage to tweak it to a larger/denser cloud without affecting performance too much. And I just thought, if the smoke effect is too subtle, won't it force players to use more smoke grenades, lowering the performance even further? Just wondering.

That's an interesting point regarding people throwing more than usual. Maybe a hybrid version? One that uses the old style (sprite?) to make up the basic volume of the smoke cloud and then surround it with the particle based one? Not sure how possible that is.

Like I've said, I haven't had the visual effect of a flashbang happen to me before, but just thinking logically, overstimulating all of the photoreceptors in your eyes should result in your vision going black, not white? I'm afraid to shine a bright light in my eye to check, but to my recollection, if anything, the vision should turn black...

I agree with your theory. When the receptors are overstimulated by an intense light, exhausted then it should take a while for the 'exhausted' cells to recover, thus seeing a dark spot. It's the same principle in like when you stare at a negative image for a long while and then look at a blank white wall, you'd see the inverse-colored after-image. Except that in this case, the optical illusion requires a prolonged duration of exposure time to exhaust the retina whereas in the case of a flashbang it's about the light's bright intensity. We can experiment with shining light into our eyes, looking at the bulb directly (don't use a light that's too bright and don't stare too long) and describe what we see afterwards as best we can. Translating that experience into the game visually would be more representative, if not just more interesting.

Question: Wouldn't the loud bang coupled with the blinding light affect of a flashbang, even when it is expected (let alone unexpected), result in a brief but sudden disorientation so as to throw off a person's aim and balance momentarily? Kind of like "startle" the person?

Even more: the sound pressure of a flashbang is often high enough to affect your inner ear. Thus you literally don't know anymore where is up and where is down, additionally to the visual and audible effect. However I don't know how to implement that in a game.

Edit:

The flash produced momentarily activates all photoreceptor cells in the eye, making vision impossible for approximately five seconds, until the eye restores itself to its normal, unstimulated state. The loud blast is meant to cause temporary loss of hearing, and also disturbs the fluid in the ear, causing loss of balance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashbang

Edited by AST_Raptor

Nemesis   

Outstanding & is shaping well... the focal disorientation after the flash-bang looks really really cool...having never been in that situation... I would assume this is how it would affect someone.

Great work guys..keep going :thumbsup:

Gotta agree with Demon_Mustang, R6 did it nice. Maybe not much the final execution, but the direction at the least.

Not sure about the image that stays on the screen. It is the effect you see when you look a bit too long into the sun, for instance, then you see the circle, which for me becomes greenish after some seconds and then begins to turn brown and then darker until it fades out. This thing stays in the focal center though, in the game you can look elsewhere, but I guess it doesn't matter, I'd like to see the flash-bang effect on the player to be similar as in R6, not because it is R6, but because it is done right.

Otherwise, the blur and the sound is really well done so far.

Jonathan   

Great job on the flash bang & smoke effects!

Found some Smoke Grenade info here with duration and different kinds.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Smoke_grenade

Also found some Flashbang stuff. The smoke that is added after the Flash Bang is real and is not just for effect in gb :).

Edited by Jonathan

Sign in to follow this