Jsonedecker

Somethings coming and here is a preview

261 posts in this topic

So we are getting pretty close to releasing something public..... No really!

We plan to release a sort of tech demo in the next few weeks to serve a couple of purposes. First is to allow us to figure out the "packaging" process for a public release and to make sure we can deliver a public build that works. UE4 is a lot different than UE3 in many ways so there is a lot of learning on our part still. Secondly is to get an idea of performance characteristics with various performance settings and to see how an area with specific design characteristics works on various machines.

To be clear, this is not Ground Branch the game. There is no "game" in this release. It is a small purpose built area that shows off the density of map design, foliage density, lighting setups and various effects. You can walk around and shoot a weapon, but there is no purpose or "mission".

Here is a screen from the editor of part of the area:

Preview_01-420x250.jpg

We really want to have solid and playable releases for Ground Branch. This is the first step in getting there and an actual playable build..... and that isn't to far away. smile.png

<a href="http://www.groundbra...-preview/">Read this story on GroundBranch.com</a></p>

Ok Im not trying to be negative here but Im a little curious and have several questions and maybe a comment or 2. So back at the beginning of the year you mentioned a release of sorts for the public, then it didnt come out because of something?? Now this is coming out and it not really groundbranch but its a test of sorts for something? I think I am confused quite a bit and I am seeing where you went wrong (and knew it at the time) mostly under UE4. Dont bite my head off here im trying to sensitive to your progress but I am confused. It would seem that you guys should be almost ready for public release for something seeing as how earlier this year you were going to release alpha? or of sorts?

When you release this "tech demo" will there finally be an option to put money out for the game John?

Edited by Jonathan

Ok Im not trying to be negative here but Im a little curious and have several questions and maybe a comment or 2. So back at the beginning of the year you mentioned a release of sorts for the public, then it didnt come out because of something?? Now this is coming out and it not really groundbranch but its a test of sorts for something? I think I am confused quite a bit and I am seeing where you went wrong (and knew it at the time) mostly under UE4. Dont bite my head off here im trying to sensitive to your progress but I am confused. It would seem that you guys should be almost ready for public release for something seeing as how earlier this year you were going to release alpha? or of sorts?

No worries. I could have worded that better I think. This IS Ground branch, just not anything that can be "played". Its a small map that you walk around in as a GB character is all. It's a tech demo that allows us to go through the process of packaging up a smaller build to release to the public without a lot of content and features to create complexity in the process. It's much easier to find problems when you don't have a huge build to wade through. It also greatly reduces the potential for issues.

switching to UE4 was a much bigger undertaking then either Kris or I anticipated, but neither of us have any regrets what so ever about it. You guys won't either. It is an all around much better platform for GB. Real life also gets in the way a lot with development and that's just the way it is until we have funds to do this full time with a proper team. So things take way longer than they should....That has been explained numerous times.

Hope that clears it up.

When you release this "tech demo" will there finally be an option to put money out for the game John?

Soon. This is step one. Step 2 is to release an actual free playable build that has stuff to actually do. :) It will be the training spaces, Team Room and character/weapon customization. That is the build that will have the ability to "buy-in" to our early access which will get you some additional content on top of the free build. The free build is something we want to be passed around everywhere to give people a chance to see what GB is all about. We have an internal time frame we want to hit for that, but I'm not saying just yet ;)

So to clarify, we can walk around but can't shoot at stuff? And how much longer (roughly) will the "playable" build take after this releases?

So to clarify, we can walk around but can't shoot at stuff? And how much longer (roughly) will the "playable" build take after this releases?

You can walk around and shoot a weapon, but there is no purpose or "mission".

And I can't wait to walk around and shoot a weapon!

...chuck in some TCP/IP net-play code...PLEASE smile.png

Hmmm, what I posted seems to have disappeared. :shrug:

While it would be nice to have such there Nem, I think it would be something added a bit later.

Good news John.

I can't wait to play this. Have been waiting for it and following it since I've noticed this game a few months back. Hoping to get into action pretty soon...

I like the map for this route and the character detail I`m sure will be just fine.

My thoughts on the progress, after seeing builds in URE3 and now 4 I have to say progress is slow to the extreme, I also understand 100% why this is so, its not just one thing it is many, but add them all up and one sees how this has taken so long and why.

The prize at the end of this tunnel is going to be massive because of the time and effort being put in, many other studios would have given up on this project a long time ago, but the goal is too precious not to carry on.

Looking forward very much to this new build.

I want you guys to suceed above all else, we are looking forward to your progress and sucess. Let me know if I can help!

Great news. I suffer from a lack of good tactical shooter with fully custom m4a1 ;-) Hope this game does not grow too old, like Stalker, before it is released. Good luck guys, we keep the fingers crossed for this project.