Bumfluff

Squad

I guess my expectations are a bit too high, but I just shake my head in disbelief when I see people say Squad is a well-made game. it's half-assed at best, it will take them years to get it to a state where I can even call it a finished product. this game needs to have all the features in the world for me to look past its terrible quality.

It's not my dream slow paced realistic tactical shooter with max 12 vs 12. But it's also not minecraft looking and sounding.

I'm enjoying this game and playing with a clan makes it really a good time. It's miles from Infiltration but it's well good enough for now.

It feels finished to me, which means i'm enjoying it when i play.

If you shake your head in disbelief when people like Squad, then what makes you nod approvingly?

Yeh I certainly enjoyed what I played of it and will jump in from time to time - def never felt like it was unfinished or not well made.

Find a clan and get invited to the whitelisted servers is my best suggestion. I haven't played a game with a better group of people.

Yeah, I'm wondering what gets his approval as well?

nothing does these days, to be honest. don't remember the last time I enjoyed a shooter. everything seems like a waste of money and time. but that's not to say that all shooters are terrible. even Squad has stuff I like, but overall they all are huge disappointments.

The Division got the closest to my perfect shooter, but the devs ######ed up PvP in it so bad, that I can't stand the idea of playing PvP in it. if there was a version of the Division with a realistic damage model and vehicles, I'd be perfectly content.

Those animations look amazing..

Very nice animations indeed. And I especially like how free look transitions in quickly aiming in the right direction. Could be a great way for Ground Branch to do it.

Ground Branch has spoiled me a bit with the free look I think. When playing the original Ghost Recon I really miss that feature. I would call it almost essential for a militiary shooter that takes place in open spaces.

The Division got the closest to my perfect shooter, but the devs ######ed up PvP in it so bad, that I can't stand the idea of playing PvP in it. if there was a version of the Division with a realistic damage model and vehicles, I'd be perfectly content.

Can you expand on that some more?

Because seeing the Division with it´s urban jungle, restricted viewrange and gameplay similar to Destiny in 3rd Person,

I don´t really understand what´s there to really like apart from more big studio and publisher polish to the edges.

From a hardcore-realistic standpoint, I mean, played Destiny for enough hours to understand why a looter shooter is fun.

I can still do without it in a first-persoon shooter with small maps and more fast paced action. But in a game like Ghost Recon I want to be able to check where my teammates are without stopping and turning around, and while moving around in general I want to be able to check as much as my surroundings as possible while still moving, especially when being some distance away for the next possible cover.

@Zeep We do a lot of 18v18 sometimes 9v9 on the smaller custom maps designed for clan scrimmages. Normally we break it up into 3/6 man squads that way you get more medics. Again, just find a good clan with a private server. Good luckcheers.gif

Can you expand on that some more?

I could write an essay, but I'll limit myself to just bullet points. it's really the simplest things, that are missing from most shooters:

- character holds the weapon in low-ready unless aiming or firing;

- character can mount obstacles of various heights, his quickness is dependent on the height of the obstacle;

- there's suppression;

- there's bleeding and maiming (which slows movement and staggers, AI actually begins limping if you hit them in the leg);

- there's realistic armor that reflects or absorbs bullets until broken, at which point it stops being effective (unfortunately, it is only implemented for shields, there's no actual body armor in the game);

- ammo is discarded along with the magazine if it's replaced before being completely emptied (not on all difficulty levels, unfortunately);

- you can switch shoulders when firing your weapon;

- there are 4 reload animations for each gun: two for each side (depending on the shoulder you're using) - one for having a cartridge in the gun while reloading and one for an empty barrel (where you need to operate the bolt), not sure if it actually affects reload speed as it should, but the fact itself...;

- there's limited wall/door penetration (can't shoot through metal sheets, unfortunately);

- can't run and shoot at the same time, but can move at a "tactical pace" while shooting;

- AI knows how to flank, use numbers advantage, flush players out of cover and is generally very fun to play against;

- you can mod weapons extensively, and these mods generally enhance weapon performance in a sensible manner (for example, tactical handles and muzzle devices increase stability/range, hide muzzle flash, suppress weapons etc.);

- sound propagates in a realistic fashion, which makes it easy to detect where the shooter is (there's sound reverberation, so inside buildings weapons sound differently etc.);

- long bursts of fire increase the barrel's temperature, if you fire a full 30-round mag in full auto, the barrel becomes red-hot, and the air around the barrel heats up as well, slightly impeding player's ability to aim accurately;

- bullet impacts are modeled very realistically (for example, hitting AI enemies produces small fountains of blood, making it easier to detect if your hit landed - if you turn off damage counters, that is);

- if you add stuff like Underground and Survival, there are even more realistic features (no minimap, getting cold, limited ammo etc.);

there's more, this is just off the top of my head. overall, this is the most feature-rich shooter I've ever played, and just with a couple of tweaks The Division could become the best tactical shooter ever made. but, for every realistic feature there's something completely unrealistic that breaks immersion completely.

I could write an essay, but I'll limit myself to just bullet points...

Wow. Now I have to admit being wrong about the game. Saw some trailers and some raw gameplay footage and was repulsed by "five mags to kill" enemies, damage shown in floating numbers, like in some JRPG, combat hobo-hipsters©, MMO-style coloured loot, burning, freezing and what not ammo and general arcade multiplayer focus. Turns out there are some pros for these cons after all.

Still not going to buy and play it, though.

Edited by Corvinus

to be honest, while leveling up my character in The Division (playing at levels 1-29) it did feel like a proper tactical shooter ALMOST. most enemies (aside from named ones) die from a single burst or a single well-placed head shot; and you die quite fast because abilities aren't overpowered yet, and the AI is very competent, so if you let your guard down, enemy assaulters can swarm you and kill you in seconds.

it's really at level 30 when things become ridiculous. enemies suddenly become too easy, and dying - almost impossible, so you're forced to climb up a few difficulty tiers, for the game to be at least somewhat challenging. and on higher tiers and difficulties all enemies become MMO-type bullet sponges, so the game turns into a Borderlands-type grind fest.

so it's no surprise most people consider levels 1-29 to be the best experience The Division has to offer. there is a good game in there under all that looter-shooter crap, it's just too bad there's so little of it.

- long bursts of fire increase the barrel's temperature, if you fire a full 30-round mag in full auto, the barrel becomes red-hot, and the air around the barrel heats up as well, slightly impeding player's ability to aim accurately;

just like in real life

just like in real life

I love how for some companies and a huge part of the fanbase reality isn´t real enough. So they impose unreal restrictions under the name of realism to promote a playstyle that is more like what they think is the real thing. Find the mistake.

Infiltration sadly didn't set the bar for other shooters.

I remember back when people found RO to be the most realistic. You still see people reply in favor of RO ( even RO2 ) to articles and video's of new realistic shooters. RO, with it's hilarious wobble weapon sway, and recoil on steroids, was an arcade infantry game with silly weapon handling and people loved it.

I loved the gameplay for what it was, but it couldn't hold a candle to Infiltration.

Anyway games depress me lately, i play Squad and enjoy it, but i really miss the slow pace and tension of that old UT mod.

Infiltration sadly didn't set the bar for other shooters.

I remember back when people found RO to be the most realistic. You still see people reply in favor of RO ( even RO2 ) to articles and video's of new realistic shooters. RO, with it's hilarious wobble weapon sway, and recoil on steroids, was an arcade infantry game with silly weapon handling and people loved it.

I loved the gameplay for what it was, but it couldn't hold a candle to Infiltration.

Anyway games depress me lately, i play Squad and enjoy it, but i really miss the slow pace and tension of that old UT mod.

Thats kind of why I don't really like GR:WL, it's because there's no tension to it. The slow pace comes from the potential for death. In GRWL I think they went for "you are a squad of james bond's with all the gadgets". Instead of "you are a squad of hardasses who could die at any time". The latter would have been far more my style and would likely have dictated the pace.

Well we can still hope that without HUD on and tweaked vulnerability so bullets kill, it could turn out to be a slow paced shooter. I like the drone for recon but relying on ones memory not blips on screen to assault the compounds.

A new map has been added which is a remake from a PR map, Al Basrah. It's the first map with more of an urban feel to it. I haven't played too much on it yet, but here are some highlights:

I might reinstall this now, since it has a proper map with several elevation levels, and not just a big flat area with a bunch of trees. do US troops have actual body armor? meaning, does it take more bullets to the chest to kill them, than it does to kill insurgents? also, is it possible to drop your weapons as the insurgent and give up (with severe penalties for the US side for killing unarmed insurgents)?