Jsonedecker

Have we done this before?

79 posts in this topic

I've been having a terrible feeling of

this week. Spent most of it working on the UI and some of it rigging up a system to keep maps and missions organised properly.

To HTML5 or not HTML5, that is not really a question.

Originally we were using a CEF based system with support for HTML5, CSS and the like. This all changed once we had a go with the UMG in the preview version of Unreal Engine 4.4. The ability to create what we need in-editor and hook it up directly to the scripting won us over.

Now that I've had a decent amount of time to learn the system, I am able to come up with functional, if ugly, screens, buttons and other UI elements easily.

dev_ui_20141107a-444x250.jpg

Work in progress server browser with 100's of mock server entries.

dev_ui_20141107b-444x250.jpg

Work in progress create/host game screen.

dev_ui_20141107c-444x250.jpg

Work in progress Video Options.

There have also been a lot of UI related C++ changes too,

with future developments in mind.

i.e. Operator screens.

Time of Day

Just to make one thing clear: Ground Branch does not have a fully dynamic time of day system. And to be honest, since it has bugger all to do with movement and shooting, it is way down on our list of priorities.

That said, we do have a time of day system of sorts - it just isn't dynamic.

It's a bit of throwback from the UE3 version. Maps are split into pieces to keep things organised and allow the same base geometry to be combined with different lighting and other changes to support different times of day, multiple missions etc.

Maps & Missions

For the sake of organisation, we've gone with a basic system that defines the basic info about a map in one file and mission info in one or more other files.

dev_editor_20141107a-250x148.jpg

Test map definition and map mission.

It requires more work to automatically include child game modes with their parents and other such trickery, but its a good start.

Thanks

A big thank you to everyone who continues to follow, support and encourage us.

And to those who have been testing out the upcoming tech build for us - hugs and kisses on all your pink bits!

dev_ui_dirtyhack-250x92.jpg

Read this story on GroundBranch.com

Excellent work John! Very impressed with the UI so far!

May I suggest:

1- Chat Box (I think this is very important)

2- Favourites Server List

So you don't have to search for a friends server

3-Player list with clan recognition,user names & ping display

4- Buddy List

5- Private Messaging system

So you can send Private Messages (PM) to anyone

6- Send/Receive files from others

7- An option to send and receive clan invites

Those are just my suggestions or do you guys even have any of the above planned?

Edited by Jonathan

May I suggest:

I'd say most of these would be covered by simply using Steamworks. No need to invent the wheel yet one more time -> more time for making the core game.

I'd say most of these would be covered by simply using Steamworks. No need to invent the wheel yet one more time -> more time for making the core game.

I thought steam was only a "Buying Game" platform. Does it have specific lobbies for specific games or does it just display Server rooms like Game Ranger?

Edited by Jonathan

Nice work John/Kris...still heading down the right path. Backdrop image needs amending to a darker more contrasting shot against the text [maybe the dev-test build splash back that was there for options].....yes we know its WIP thumbsup.gif

Although the kisses on the pink bits is a little weird an should never under any circumstances be live streamed.

LOL. Colin was right people on here are getting weirder :-)

May I suggest...

Steam works takes care of all that.

Instead of lobbies, we plan on using a ready room setup similar to Natural Selection 1/2, .

Its a lot more fun and engaging, not to mention a good way to build a community.

On joining a server, you appear in-game in an section of the map separate to main area of play.

From there you can communicate to other players, spectate, show off your kit etc.

Depending on the map, there might be range to muck around on or even a small arena to muck about in until more people show up.

When you are ready to play, team selection is done by walking into a trigger of some kind, representing by a doorway, vehicle etc.

At the completion of a round, everyone will be sent back to the ready room.

It gives everyone a short break between games, a time to discuss the previous round, change their kit etc.

A side benefit is that AFK players would get caught in the ready room and not affect the next round of play.

For a funny video on the basics of ready rooms, I give you NS2HD:

Sweet.

Although the kisses on the pink bits is a little weird an should never under any circumstances be live streamed.

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Really cool news, and i hope you guys do not encounter much difficulties with the UI.

The ready room is an excellent idea !!

Hopefully in GB the ready room will have a permanent chat window ( maybe 8-10 chat lines visible ? ) and please dont allow to shoot any weapons or throw any grenades there or it will be abused gun2.gifFIREdevil.gif .

Crossing fingers fingersx.gif that you make good progress and hope to hear from you any good news soon again.

Edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

Yes, it looks very promising. The ready Room is also an awesome Feature, but someone has to ask and i think its me. When will be the other getting the oportunity to try out the tech demo?

Instead of lobbies, we plan on using a ready room setup similar to Natural Selection 1/2, .

Its a lot more fun and engaging, not to mention a good way to build a community.

On joining a server, you appear in-game in an section of the map separate to main area of play.

From there you can communicate to other players, spectate, show off your kit etc.

Depending on the map, there might be range to muck around on or even a small arena to muck about in until more people show up.

When you are ready to play, team selection is done by walking into a trigger of some kind, representing by a doorway, vehicle etc.

At the completion of a round, everyone will be sent back to the ready room.

It gives everyone a short break between games, a time to discuss the previous round, change their kit etc.

A side benefit is that AFK players would get caught in the ready room and not affect the next round of play.

notworthy.gif

Steam should indeed be more than enough for social related stuff. It has all the features we're likely to need - Add friends to friends list, see who's playing, and quick "right click player -> join game" option to join the same server your friend is connected to (which will hopefully work properly even with mods, unlike in Arma where if the server is running mods the "join" function becomes almost useless).

I'm a bit surprised UE4 doesn't have simple and easy to implement dynamic day/night settings, but fully agree that it should be very low priority. After all, movement and shooting is what will make the game shine compared to wannabe-alternatives.

I know this has been brought up previously, but I always liked the chat we hand in R6, RS and GR where we could BS between rounds and plan for our next mission (at least if playing Coop). I had many laughs over the years with the guys who came on my servers. That is one of the most important features a game could have. I seem to recall John stating something about ensuring that we would have that for MP games. Now, how they intend to do it, I can't say, but I am sure we will see something.

Time of Day

Just to make one thing clear: Ground Branch does not have a fully dynamic time of day system. And to be honest, since it has bugger all to do with movement and shooting, it is way down on our list of priorities.

That said, we do have a time of day system of sorts - it just isn't dynamic.

It's a bit of throwback from the UE3 version. Maps are split into pieces to keep things organised and allow the same base geometry to be combined with different lighting and other changes to support different times of day, multiple missions etc.

It may just be my bad English but can you please explain what this means?

1) The time of day doesn't change during the mission - can be changed freely before a mission starts

2) Mission maker decides what time of day the mission is playable - cannot be changed by player

3) Something else?

I know this has been brought up previously, but I always liked the chat we hand in R6, RS and GR where we could BS between rounds and plan for our next mission (at least if playing Coop). I had many laughs over the years with the guys who came on my servers. That is one of the most important features a game could have. I seem to recall John stating something about ensuring that we would have that for MP games. Now, how they intend to do it, I can't say, but I am sure we will see something.

But now with the ready room, we can voice chat as well right?

It may just be my bad English but can you please explain what this means?

1) The time of day doesn't change during the mission - can be changed freely before a mission starts

2) Mission maker decides what time of day the mission is playable - cannot be changed by player

3) Something else?

No, its ok - I'm Australian.

You are pretty much correct with No#1 - it does not change during mission, but can be chosen before the mission starts.

However, it is only available if there are multiple versions of the a map, one for each time of day.

I'm a bit surprised UE4 doesn't have simple and easy to implement dynamic day/night settings, but fully agree that it should be very low priority. After all, movement and shooting is what will make the game shine compared to wannabe-alternatives.

Its certainly possible to setup one up, but reasons...

And as you say, movement and shooting is what will the game, not a time of day system smile.png

... I always liked the chat we hand in R6, RS and GR where we could BS between rounds and plan for our next mission

But now with the ready room, we can voice chat as well right?

^ This.

The ready room will be used for all game modes/missions involving multiple players.

Will i be:

Time of day:

Day, sunny

Day, rainy

Night, clear

Night, rainy

Or is the weather selected elsewhere?

May i propose ? :

3 daytimes per map would be nice to play :

- daytime - high noon

- sunset / dawn

- dark night ( for the permanent use of Night Vision )