Jsonedecker

But is it fun?

78 posts in this topic

Yes.

WARNING: Contains ~11 minutes of two idiots running around and carrying on, shooting at each other and missing a lot. The audio is poor and some chest bumping occurs.

Its a over a year since we were online with the UE3 version, so it felt great to finally be online (and stable) with the UE4 verison.

The problem with bullets.

meme-bulletspeed-250x200.jpg

Impact FX and decals are created as the bullet is simulated client side. By the time the client receives the initial location and velocity of a bullet it has already travelled some distance. This results in the missing impacts FX and decals seen in the video above.

Forcing the bullet to replicate immediately improves things, but not enough.

One solution is to create a client side version of a bullet if initial shot is received by the client. Once the proper server version of the bullet is received, the two could be synchronised and allowed to go on their merry way.

Several games have done this in the past and the latest incarnation of Unreal Tournament is using a similar system for all its projectiles.

Another solution is to fall back to how we were handling it in UE3 and replicate the impacts instead of the bullet. This does create more things to send across the network, but each one has so little to send and exists for such a short time, its still a viable solution.

The are pros and cons to both methods, but we're sure to come up with one we like soon enough.

Weapon collision.

This is the kind of lean we're want you to be able to do (and quickly):

dev_ingame_2014-10-30-444x250.jpg

Credits to Psychomorph for this image.

Unfortunately the weapon collision needs more work.

It is currently accurate when your weapon is on target, but uses a less accurate swept trace when off target. This results in being unable to bring your weapon on target when next to obstacles until you first turn away from the obstacle so that it is 'clear'.

Annoying and will be fixed.

dma07.jpg

Favourite respone to Psychomorph's image.

Dude, where's my VR support?

Its getting there.

Wasn't too high on the list of priorities of late, but a post from the Rift developer forums last weekend ###### me off annoyed me enough to get in there and attack it again.

This led to fixing the basics and cotinued on to hooking up lean.

A strange feeling when leaning actually shifts your view and you can see around the object, instead of just looking like this:

Feels good man.

Really looking forward to seeing people online... then, you know... shooting at them.

Kris

Read this story on GroundBranch.com

Led, Led, Led, it is now on the website, of course you can spread the word. Why else would they post that video?

Oh yeah Kris:

Ya gotta remove the s in the http part.

Now, on to comments on the video. I was laughing my ass off watching that. ROFLMAOBAGFLSH is all I got to say. John, you need some more practice. Kris beat you hands down. harhar.gif

Led, Led, Led, it is now on the website, of course you can spread the word. Why else would they post that video?

Oh yeah Kris:

Ya gotta remove the s in the http part.

Now, on to comments on the video. I was laughing my ass off watching that. ROFLMAOBAGFLSH is all I got to say. John, you need some more practice. Kris beat you hands down. harhar.gif

too late....I can't type fast enough

To be fair, I was connecting directly to the server.

John had to cross the planet to connect.

I hope John & Kris have fun community nights where they will play in the game with pubs! I can watch this video over and over again and never get tired of it and at the same time I also marvel at how far BFS has come! This game is going to kick ass once all the tweaking is complete!

Edited by Jonathan

The whole video looks amazing. The nature sound/fx, even the bird sounds were just so well done. Overall, it looked and felt really real :))

Patience does have its reward :)))

John, Kris Thanks for the video. hopefully soon BFS community will have so much fun as you guys.

and be came a huge community with thousand of members. all happy shooting and blowing between them.

Malcolm...

I hope I'm not imagining things, but the character seems to be actually walking with the very slight up and down bounce. (instead of sliding through the air, like we see on other FPS').

That video really made my day after all those newsless weeks!

Gameplay looks good so far, like a mix between the controls of the ArmAs but without the awkward problems those have.

Looking forward on getting my hands on... smart.gif

Very fun to watch, guys. Congrats on all the progress.

I especially like the sound effects so far, feels quite alive already. Pretty damn scary when Kris is being shot at inside the cabin! Brought back that feeling of helplessness and urgency of being spotted first in GR for me. I noticed some blood effect too on that part, which I didn't expect at this point.

Lastly, I got quite a few laughs and a HUGE sense of nostalgia as your voices, accents and general attitudes remind me of old clan mates of mine, not to mention the map has a very noticeable GR vibe to it. I wonder why... ;)

Very fun to watch, guys. Congrats on all the progress.

I especially like the sound effects so far, feels quite alive already. Pretty damn scary when Kris is being shot at inside the cabin! Brought back that feeling of helplessness and urgency of being spotted first in GR for me. I noticed some blood effect too on that part, which I didn't expect at this point.

Lastly, I got quite a few laughs and a HUGE sense of nostalgia as your voices, accents and general attitudes remind me of old clan mates of mine, not to mention the map has a very noticeable GR vibe to it. I wonder why... wink.png

Gee, I wonder why? :whistle:

Great that you've got basic MP working! smile.png

Be ready to answer a lot of Youtube questions when comments are allowed on the videos.

Be ready to answer a lot of Youtube questions when comments are allowed on the videos.

Yep, I see zoog has answered a few already and I've done so in the past as well. Clarifying that this is early WIP is important as I see it, and I believe it would be best to always make sure to get that point across in the video, as annotations or such. The flashbang demo video had a "recoil has been disabled in this build" kinda message which I'm sure prevented some misunderstanding. People are quick to assume and dismiss, y'know.