Sign in to follow this  
zoog

Books about military strategy/operations?

zoog   

As some of you might know I'm currently traveling "around the world" (or at least a little piece of it), and after spending some time in the Australian War Memorial and reading some fiction books by Larry Bond, I'm in search for some new good books.

I'm looking for books that give a better understanding how militaries operate during modern war/conflicts. For example, in the Larry Bond books I mentioned, he explains in detail what units are used to attack an airbase (for security, for the actual attack, reconnaissance aircrafts, damage assessment etc) which gives you a bit of understanding as to how these situations are dealt with. But also on the logistics sides of things, or how a naval group moves from and to the AO. I really like to get a better understanding of how modern battles are fought.

So I hope some of you might have some good tips I can chase :)

Jeza   

One of my personal fav's is chickenhawk, about a chap who flew many missions in vietnam in the huey. No easy day was an interesting read also.

I loved Inside Delta Force, it has very nice pacing and depicts various events in an informative way without being boring. Also liked one book about the 2003 invasion of Iraq but can't remember the title, will add later.

On my to-read list:

Horse Soldiers

One Tribe at a Time

American Spartan

Lone Survivor

You mean this?

I read Haney's Inside Delta Force mentioned above, and Beckwith's own Delta Force, and at least one of them (but probably both) describes the planning of OPERATION EAGLE CLAW.

That and Generation Kill are the only ones mentioned here that I've read and I can't remember much about planning or logistics in that one.

Except the Marines' grunting about the lack thereof.

You really should read it anyway - and the Rolling Stone articles - because it's a great read.

You mean this?

I read Haney's Inside Delta Force mentioned above, and Beckwith's own Delta Force, and at least one of them (but probably both) describes the planning of OPERATION EAGLE CLAW.

That and Generation Kill are the only ones mentioned here that I've read and I can't remember much about planning or logistics in that one.

Except the Marines' grunting about the lack thereof.

You really should read it anyway - and the Rolling Stone articles - because it's a great read.

In defense of my beloved Corp, Generation Kill got what small platoon or fire teams are all about. Having unique characters exposed for what they are known for, or lack of.

zoog   

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Yes Seb, then wiki link you posted is what I'm interested in.

I've read Inside Delta Force and Chickenhawk. I'll look into the other suggestions. I loved the Generation Kill mini-series, however I do suspect there won't be any "bigger picture stuff" in there. Will look into the rest as well.

zoog   

Started The things they carried, really good read so far! Not really about the big picture strategy and operation stuff, but still a well deserved addition to my library :)